collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck Bucket  (Read 2558 times)

Offline traildigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Team Smoke'Em
Duck Bucket
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
Who uses a "duck bucket" and what's in yours?  I'm new to duck hunting, and a buddy of mine said I have to make a duck bucket.  He said he uses his to carry stuff to the blind and then uses the bucket as a stool. I have yet to find anything on the web for homemade versions. Some pre-made camo buckets, but I'm trying to make my own.  Buddy pretty much said I'd be kicked out of the blind if I cheaped out and bought a ready made bucket.  So I've set out to build my own.  But first I'd love to see what others have made. So let's see it. And I'll be sure to update with my own pics when mine is finished!   :tup:

Offline MacAttack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Duck Bucket
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
They should have buckets at hooked on toys. I use one, although I don't know what to use for a strap to carry it. I'm thinking about using a gun strap but haven't bought one yet. Put your lunch, shells, calls, tp, extra decoy weights..things like that.

Offline snocohunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
Never heard of a DIY duck bucket. I just. Have a green bucket with the camo swivel lid from cabelas, keep all different stuff in it depending on the day. I also have another with a tool organizer in it and it works good. Glad the people I hunt with dont have gear requirements to be part of their posse. I'd tell em to pound sand

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
Their are many options you can choose from.  Wal Mart may even have a black or olive colored one with a lid.  Any of the hunting stores should have 5 gal bucks.  I would look for a 6 gallon one as it adds extra height.  Feed stores are another options.  Throw your gear in it, remove the metal handle and drill the handle spots and use a rope.  Cut a 5-6" piece of 1/2" PVC and slip the rope through it for a carry handle.  I use one in my boat a lot.  If your in a area where their is water at your feet, this is a bad option.  The bucket will flip on it's side.  Use a game bag and a swamp chair or make one.  Lots of do it your own stuff on the web.  Good luck.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
Yeah... the camo swivel seat for the buckets is amazing...   super awesome.
We always use buckets, because the folding hunting chairs we have sink into the sand, but the buckets do not.
Go to lowes or home depo, they have all kinds of bucket kits you can get, from deviders to racks for the inside.

You can even do like my dad did, and use 2 buckets, the bottom one being half full of foam, that way you can sit up a bit higher, making it easy to get up quick in chest waders.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline MacAttack

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
I have the one with the swivel seat. My only problem is my back. Couple years of rodeo and a car accident have not been good on my back so I bring a chair with a back rest. I need to invest in the bucket with the back rest...

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:47 AM »
I'm the opposite, I have a 3 gallon. For one its not a vacation, it's hunting. I pack shells, gloves, facepaint, knife, calls, soda, and maybe crackers. I use a 3 gallon because of its height. I don't want to be sitting up high standing out even more. A buddy uses a 6 gallon in my boat blind and his head sits to where he peeks out the top of the blind and spooks the birds (his bucket not allowed in my boat now). I like the bucket at Nisqually when tide is out I can throw the bucket in the mud beneath the banks and be clean and sneaky!

Also I use a piece of thin rope just long enough to allow me to open the bucket. I like the gun sling idea, however if you hunt like me, some locations are extremely muddy and I wouldn't want my sling dragging in the mud.

Offline saltwaterhillbilly

• 'Bird Doggin'
  • Hunter
    • Call Kill Consume Northwest
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »

Never heard of a DIY duck bucket. I just. Have a green bucket with the camo swivel lid from cabelas, keep all different stuff in it depending on the day. I also have another with a tool organizer in it and it works good. Glad the people I hunt with dont have gear requirements to be part of their posse. I'd tell em to pound sand

About that I have some drafted up forms for this year for you to sign about the new requirements for duck hunting with me this year , and the only sand that's gonna be packed is what's in your bucket you carry around haha.
" Your not a Duck hunter your wearing face paint and duck commander t shirt"
"Civilized Men sleep soundly, because Rough Men Stand ready to do Violence on their behalf"

Offline traildigger

• Tracker
  • Team Smoke'Em
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »

Lol. There really isn't a gear requirement, and I wouldn't be kicked out of the blind.  It's more of a tradition with him and his family so he was suggesting I join in on yhe tradition.

Also. Thanks all for the replies. I think I was over thinking the whole setup. KISS is the best way it sounds. I may try to fasten some form of a shoulder strap or aomething though, just to make carry a little easier.

Thanks again!

Offline 762Armo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
A bucket is a great idea. I always carried my stuff in my bag, which would get at least a little wet.
I could also use a bucket for fishing.
Can't believe I haven't thought of this before.

Offline Coug8

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: SCI, NRA
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I took just a homer bucket and camo'd it up.  Its great for carrying stuff and i put a carabiner on the end to hook to my backpack.  The only negative is I'm 6'3" and sitting that low gets uncomfortable pretty quick, but then again i have bad knees.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
Yeah I tried the bucket hurt my back. I take a beach chair. 6 inches off the ground. Sit and shoot out of it all day ,very comfy.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jeepster

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Diy duck bucket.

Get a bucket

Get a lid

Presto... You got a Duck bucket
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I took just a homer bucket and camo'd it up.  Its great for carrying stuff and i put a carabiner on the end to hook to my backpack.  The only negative is I'm 6'3" and sitting that low gets uncomfortable pretty quick, but then again i have bad knees.
My dad's 6' 5"... so yeah, 2 buckets.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]