collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Carlsons choke tubes, a 20 ga sxs and a snowgooser  (Read 1106 times)

Offline jeepster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Carlsons choke tubes, a 20 ga sxs and a snowgooser
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Went goosin today....

The shotgun I brought today was a nef pardoner pump :pee: and it failed miserably... It has always been a junker beater backup gun and my workhorse 12ga (benelli) is still in Alaska, and now the only reliable shotgun I have is my sxs 20 (baikal 210) . I am hesitant to take it out and get it muddy and full of crap, even though that i bought it to use, but I am gonna bite the bullet and christen it with mud and filth.

I recently bought a full set of carlsons after market choke tubes for it, all rated for steel, hevi shot, and all of that other good stuff, including the full choke. On my benelli nova, I shoot an improved modified for pretty much all my waterfowl, and my side by side is set up with im and m or ic, but here is where my question begins...

If I put in the full choke, even though the gun and chokes are rated for it, and I'm shooting bb, or no 2s, will that damage anything? Does the smaller bore and larger shot sizes used for goose hunting run any risk of harm to the gun? I'd like to shoot my 3 inch black cloud no 2s and hevi metal bbs, but I am unsure about running a full choke

Can anybody suggest a good 20 ga shell that's heavy hitting enough for those longer shots at snows?

My 12 should be arriving soon, and I have a single shot 10 on its way too, but can my sxs 20 play with the big guns?   
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Carlsons choke tubes, a 20 ga sxs and a snowgooser
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
do they even make BB loads for the 20 gauge?  biggest i've ever seen are 2s...just seems like you won't get much of a pattern out of those even.  i don't think i'd worry too much about what size of shot used as long as the barrels and chokes are rated for steel.

if you want to hit them at longer range you might want to buy something like hevi shot.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline jeepster

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »
Yeah, sorry for the poor grammar and hard to read question, it's been a really long day....

Big goon,

That's what I figured...... I guess I am overly cautious these days because ive had a few firearm mishaps. Nothing due to operator error, just a few mechanical failures..... Can never be too safe with guns.....
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
I use #2's for goose 40 yards and closer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]