collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern Washington Elk  (Read 39839 times)

Offline mdbuck5x5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Eastern Washington Elk
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »
So what about the guys that bust tail to kill nice bulls every year ? They just kinda get the shaft until they draw a tag because the road hunters can't seem to fill a tag ? If wa goes draw only on the west side il be going to oregon..don't limit my hunting oppertunities just cuz other people can't manage to find elk  :twocents:

Sorry if that seemed like a jab at road hunters but they have got to be the majority of folks who don't fill tags

:yeah:  :chuckle:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
So what about the guys that bust tail to kill nice bulls every year ? They just kinda get the shaft until they draw a tag because the road hunters can't seem to fill a tag?

They wait their turn like everybody else. Same as in all the other states that elk hunting is by draw only.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
So what about the guys that bust tail to kill nice bulls every year ? They just kinda get the shaft until they draw a tag because the road hunters can't seem to fill a tag?

They wait their turn like everybody else. Same as in all the other states that elk hunting is by draw only.

Why should I have to wait again ? Cuz "some people" are not having what they want even tho what they want is out there an all they gota do is go get it.....that's why I'm not gona be allowed to kill trophy bulls every year ??

Just ranting nothing personal... :tup:

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »

Why should I have to wait again ? Cuz "some people" are not having what they want even tho what they want is out there an all they gota do is go get it.....that's why I'm not gona be allowed to kill trophy bulls every year ??

Just ranting nothing personal... :tup:
logical aint it... If I cpuldnt chase branch bulls every year I'd be completely done with the state.
Team nubby!

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
If we go permit only you will be sitting on the sideline for along time wishing you could hunt.. Wanting to hunt bulls go to CO, MT, OR, WY, ETC. Be happy that you can hunt each year.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Offline LarMar14

• Tracker
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
If you don't like hunting spikes in eastern washington, then why not stay on the westside and hunt branched bulls? Thats why you get a choice right?  :twocents:

Offline pendoreilleadventures

• Moose Whisper
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.benham.16
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »
How come people always say that the big bulls need to breed the rag horns and spikes have the same genes as the big boys...doesn't matter age or antler size bulls genetics are there day one.

Sent from my C6750 using Tapatalk

“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
― Ted Nugent

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
How come people always say that the big bulls need to breed the rag horns and spikes have the same genes as the big boys...doesn't matter age or antler size bulls genetics are there day one.

You are correct, the genetic material is there from day one.  The notion of the "big bulls" doing the breeding was from a time when natural selection was the law of the land.  It isn't anymore.  It used to be the biggest, baddest, smartest bulls would be the ones to survive the predators and be the most desirable for breeding to pass on the genes and traits that allowed them to survive.  It doesn't apply anymore because the human predator is not limited by their cunning or fitness like a four legged predator would be.  We can nail a big bull from across a canyon that might have survived many years just dealing with four legged predators.  So now even though "raghorns" are doing a majority of the breeding, it doesn't effect the genetic makeup of the heard too badly.  Yeah it's not ideal, but it's what we have.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
So what about the guys that bust tail to kill nice bulls every year ? They just kinda get the shaft until they draw a tag because the road hunters can't seem to fill a tag ? If wa goes draw only on the west side il be going to oregon..don't limit my hunting oppertunities just cuz other people can't manage to find elk  :twocents:

Sorry if that seemed like a jab at road hunters but they have got to be the majority of folks who don't fill tags

It is funny to me how I hear about crowding, but never see other hunters back in behind closed gates.
I met a guy from Wisconsin who wanted to harvest a Roosevelt with his longbow (he made himself).
After looking at harvest reports, picked the unit I hunt.
Came out in 2011 and hiked in one of the gates near our camp, and got into some Elk but was unable to harvest one.
Came back this year with a mountain bike, rode into same area and shot a decent 5pt on second day of season.
Commented on how he was surprised that he did not see any other hunters.
Then I overheard another hunter comment on how "lucky" he was, but this hunter rarely got more than a mile from camp, or spend more than an hour or two in the woods.
I am always amazed at how many "Elk Hunters" I meet who spend more time riding around in their trucks than actually hunting, and complaining that there are no elk.
And the areas that they do get out of their trucks, is because one jumped the road in front of them.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »

You are correct, the genetic material is there from day one.  The notion of the "big bulls" doing the breeding was from a time when natural selection was the law of the land.  It isn't anymore.  It used to be the biggest, baddest, smartest bulls would be the ones to survive the predators and be the most desirable for breeding to pass on the genes and traits that allowed them to survive.  It doesn't apply anymore because the human predator is not limited by their cunning or fitness like a four legged predator would be.  We can nail a big bull from across a canyon that might have survived many years just dealing with four legged predators.  So now even though "raghorns" are doing a majority of the breeding, it doesn't effect the genetic makeup of the heard too badly.  Yeah it's not ideal, but it's what we have.
I also have witnessed spikes and raghorns doing the breeding while the herd bull is chasing off other raghorns and spikes than actually breeding himself.
High bull/cow ratios improve genetic diversity, large bulls only demonstrate what genes are available.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline soccerftw123

• Hunter
  • Groups: nwtf
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »

It is funny to me how I hear about crowding, but never see other hunters back in behind closed gates.
I met a guy from Wisconsin who wanted to harvest a Roosevelt with his longbow (he made himself).
After looking at harvest reports, picked the unit I hunt.
Came out in 2011 and hiked in one of the gates near our camp, and got into some Elk but was unable to harvest one.
Came back this year with a mountain bike, rode into same area and shot a decent 5pt on second day of season.
Commented on how he was surprised that he did not see any other hunters.
Then I overheard another hunter comment on how "lucky" he was, but this hunter rarely got more than a mile from camp, or spend more than an hour or two in the woods.
I am always amazed at how many "Elk Hunters" I meet who spend more time riding around in their trucks than actually hunting, and complaining that there are no elk.
And the areas that they do get out of their trucks, is because one jumped the road in front of them.
Thats not my problem i got into many elk at bow range this year only problem is cant find a spike, had bulls and cows in bow range

Offline stuckalot

• Hunter
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »
If you want to finish off sport hunting in this state in a generation or two, go permit only. It is difficult enough to recruit new hunters into our ranks, try doing it when they may only get to hunt once every 4-5 years! While it may not be representative of the hunt wa community there are many many people whose hunt success is not based on how many or how big an animal they harvest. It is the time spent each year in the field with family and friends. Despite a low success rate growing up that one week in the fall was the most cherished of the entire year for me.  Had I only had one or two opportunities over that time I would have moved on to something else. While fewer hunters may seem like a great idea it will be the death of our sport.

As far as spike rules go there are actually many sound reasons for it. Primarily the very high natural mortality rate for calves and spikes. If sustainability is the goal for a herd harvesting spikes and calves has the least impact on the heard because many of them will die any way.
I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives for me...

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
If we go permit only you will be sitting on the sideline for along time wishing you could hunt.. Wanting to hunt bulls go to CO, MT, OR, WY, ETC. Be happy that you can hunt each year.

:yeah:

Thank you! Somebody with some sense!

Agreed
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
Lets do away with scopes and high power rifles. (except for the old and disabled)  :chuckle:  Actually I'd never want to impose my opinion on others.  But that would work, right? Bow and Muzzleloader only. :IBCOOL: 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
Several other states (including Oregon) have permit only hunting for deer/elk, and it hasn't stopped kids from hunting in those states.

I have to ask- why is it that a system like that works in other states but some people insist it can't work here?

I've asked this question before and never have heard any reasonable answers.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]