collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winston first year hunt  (Read 11553 times)

Offline blacktaill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Winston first year hunt
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
This was my first year hunting the Winston unit and I went in with high expectations and well the only elk we saw where either in the back of someone's truck (4 of them ) or in a field driving in. :bash: All the searching on here and the information I could gather from other people told me that the place was full of elk  :dunno: Going to start checking out new areas for next year. We did see two 4 point blacktails and 10 does.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Winston first year hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
You saw more deer in there than I have in a few years of hunting that unit. There used to be tons of elk in  there but now it is the "go to direction" to send hunters. The elk are there, just not in the numbers of a few years back. Too many cow permits and hoof rot.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
I have had many hard times finding elk down there but they are there. Each area is different and you just have to learn it. Good luck on finding your honey hole.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline blacktaill

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
You saw more deer in there than I have in a few years of hunting that unit. There used to be tons of elk in  there but now it is the "go to direction" to send hunters. The elk are there, just not in the numbers of a few years back. Too many cow permits and hoof rot.

That is what I was told. This was my first year elk hunting so still lots to learn. The guys I where hunting with could not believe all the deer I was sopting 8)

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
The elk are there. Was my first year hunting it also so I spent a few days simply learning the area which is decent. Most of the fresh elk sign that I saw is away from any of the main roads. Saw two cows opening day, three on Weds plus a little spiker bull today. I also had other encounters with elk that I did not even see but rather heard. Also saw two nice BT bucks, jumped one in the reprod and then jumped one in some deep nasty timber. I like the area and would like to return but would rather find a unit with more locked gates. Seeing all the road hunters was really obscene. At first light many hunters would drive right to a clear cut with headlights blaring SLAM the door and then sit about 20 ft off the road...think you blew the element of surprise with that one guys. Don't be discouraged by the cow tags being given out in the Winston if you look in the regs they give them out for nearly all the other popular units around too and they also have hoof rot problems. The problem is the easy access the elk sort of bottle themselves up in the deep dark little nooks and crannies.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
You chose a popular road hunting unit with lots of cow tags (with a high success rate).  You got exactly what you read about.  Walking 20 mins from the road does not get you away from the road. The population is decreasing and the pressure is increasing with the permits.   If you want to get away from cars, don't be next to the road at first light.  I hope that was informative. No offense, just being honest.

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
None taken. And you're right you have to really work to get away from people in there
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 12:04:25 AM »

:tup: :tup:

WDFW will do a count after the snow hits and they are all bunched up in there from the high country.  Then they will decide to give out another 500 or more cow tags for early seasons so we can further destroy the local low elevation herds. And they will continue to restrict bowhunters from shooting bulls in the late season forcing them to harvests cows only.

Even with all the hunting pressure this unit used to be one of the more enjoyable hunting areas in the state.  Not so much anymore.  Now we just tell stories to our nieces and nephews, kids and grandkids about the days when the Winston was to best place in the state to spend in the woods during elk season.  I doubt I will see it return in my lifetime  :'(

Problem is these days...where else are you going to go?  Keep putting in for the draw and maybe you can do better than me and actually draw a good area within the next 18 years.  If ignoring the hoof rot situation for so many years hasn't led to the end of all elk hunting in The St Helens area by then.

I'm not usually a WDFW basher, but in the case of the Winston herd they have sure screwed it up pretty dang good!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 05:48:22 AM »

WDFW will do a count after the snow hits and they are all bunched up in there from the high country.  Then they will decide to give out another 500 or more cow tags for early seasons so we can further destroy the local low elevation herds. And they will continue to restrict bowhunters from shooting bulls in the late season forcing them to harvests cows only.

Even with all the hunting pressure this unit used to be one of the more enjoyable hunting areas in the state.  Not so much anymore.  Now we just tell stories to our nieces and nephews, kids and grandkids about the days when the Winston was to best place in the state to spend in the woods during elk season.  I doubt I will see it return in my lifetime  :'(

Problem is these days...where else are you going to go?  Keep putting in for the draw and maybe you can do better than me and actually draw a good area within the next 18 years.  If ignoring the hoof rot situation for so many years hasn't led to the end of all elk hunting in The St Helens area by then.

I'm not usually a WDFW basher, but in the case of the Winston herd they have sure screwed it up pretty dang good!

Well said Radsav! I'm getting pretty worried about the way this unit is going. Actually has already gone. Pretty sad state of affairs!

Offline MacAttack

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
My first year hunting for deer and elk. I hunted Eastern WA for Elk and my brother, his first year as well, got his W. WA permit. We hunted this unit and saw alot of fresh sign, but zero elk, or deer for that matter. Guess we have to find a new place for late mod. deer.

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

id have to agree. i have only hunted the winston a couple times and since have found greener pastures. i have a hunch weyco plays a BIG part in the destruction of that herd, but its nothing more than suspicion...
Team nubby!

Offline Ziptie

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
All I can say is it was my first year in the unit and it was insane.  I never could have imagined the amount of hunters in that unit!   :bash:
-The harder you work, the luckier you become.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
i spent nearly 10 hours in there yesterday, and saw only one hunter... got lucky i guess.

Offline Duckhammer

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
I read the whole string and I agree that there is a TON of road hunters in that unit and alot of COW tags.

LOOK at the HUGE positive you got from this experience.... You know where a couple 4 point bucks live!
Aim well, breathe and make the shot count.

Offline cryfowl

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
The Winston used to be my favorite area to hunt Elk.  Always saw 3-4 herds a day and sometimes more. Were always legal bulls around every corner.  Then it was opened to cows and the gates were opened, and they gave out 100 cow permits to modern firearm hunting.........next year, very few elk and worse each year.  I don't even make the drive down there anymore.  Not saying there aren't elk, just not like the good old days, aka 6-7 yrs ago.  It Was nice being able to bike into an area and not bump shoulders with people.

Offline cwebsterdeerhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
Went up this year and talked to a guy that said the game department had shot 642 elk with hoof rot. They shot everything that they saw limping. It was an attempt to stop hoof rot from crossing the Columbia River into Oregon. Its too bad because there has been some great elk hunting there for many years. I know I am going to find a new spot for sure next year.

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Im always one to give others advice, but its media and sites that cause everyone to crowd into these areas. Back when I was younger my dad and uncle and all their friends would hunt up there for a week every year and they got bulls every single year! Then people started writing articles about all the elk here and putting the info online and now people crowd the area. Just the same way that you found out about it. Do a search and you will find Winston everywhere. Now everyone and their mother is up there hunting. Its really too bad that it has gotten to this point. There are tons of elk there but with the amount of people there, it isnt even fun anymore. Unless one runs out in front of you, you cant really hunt them. We worked our way down in the bottom of an over grown clear cut on the second day and when it got light, we were surrounded by orange and had someone look at us from up above, then had the nerve to walk down 100 yards in front of us and sit down. All of our "honey holes" are crowded with people now its stupid. I hope Weyco goes pay to play there next year! I think it will help.

Offline ELK SHOT

• Elkshot
  • Tracker
  • 4x5 last year
  • Groups: none
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
I have hunted that unit for many years with my brother and another hunter that has since passed and we have always came out with a few Bulls. This year I went to another place but my bros camp still came out with 2 Bulls and cow out of 4 guys, just gotta know where to go.
Just a hunter in the woods

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 05:27:11 AM »
Went up this year and talked to a guy that said the game department had shot 642 elk with hoof rot. They shot everything that they saw limping. It was an attempt to stop hoof rot from crossing the Columbia River into Oregon. Its too bad because there has been some great elk hunting there for many years. I know I am going to find a new spot for sure next year.

I dont believe it for a minute  :yike:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »

I dont believe it for a minute  :yike:

:yeah:

Offline SFD2015

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
I saw 19 Elk in the Winston. 17 Cows, 1 Spike and a 1 that was probably a shooter, but couldn't tell so didn't take the shot. It did seem to be allot slower this year than any of the previous 6 years I have been hunting down there. Allot of road hunters and once again Weyco shut down a HUGE portion of the unit. The WORST part was running into some local Weyco Families who gave us tidbits of rumors.....

Rumor 1: That in cooperation with the Weyco, the WDFW and/or DNR euthanized approximately 600 Elk in the Winston to deal with the spread of the Hoof Rot. 60% were supposedly Bulls.

Rumor 2: Weyco in their grand wisdom is going to charge approximately $300 Per PERSON (not vehicle, but person) to hunt their lands starting next year.

A couple of points, first has anyone done a FOIA request or know how to do one with regards to Elk being euthanized in Western Washington over the course of 2013? Second, Weyco is SURROUNDED by DNR land, but in order to access it, I have to go through Weyco Gates. So I have to pay Weyco in order to access a State Resource? Since the amount of access permits will be limited, the amount of money will be limited as well. How much are they really looking at making off of this endeavor or does it seem to anyone else that the State and everyone else wants to price the working stiff out of the ability to hunt?

Back to the Winston, this year, the rumors and in fact 9 of the Elk I saw were all up High (and not on Weyco land.....). It's a matter of knowing the area and getting to it. By the way, I can now CONFIRM that the Weyco Gate at the 2500 Road off Spirit Lake Highway (headed into the Margaret) IS privately owned and the cheesy sign nailed to a tree on the Hwy is telling the truth. The gate was open in the morning, but locked by a private person (per Weyco security) that eve, leaving a long way back to camp. The 4 other trucks that followed us out can also confirm it! I suggest everyone Head to the Blues next year and stay outta Weyco land  :chuckle:
IAFF 27
VFW, NRA, RMEF

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
The Winston used to be my favorite area to hunt Elk.  Always saw 3-4 herds a day and sometimes more. Were always legal bulls around every corner.  Then it was opened to cows and the gates were opened, and they gave out 100 cow permits to modern firearm hunting.........next year, very few elk and worse each year.  I don't even make the drive down there anymore.  Not saying there aren't elk, just not like the good old days, aka 6-7 yrs ago.  It Was nice being able to bike into an area and not bump shoulders with people.
6-7 years ago..  :yike:
I hunted it back in the early 90's when my EA Elk tag was good during late season, we used to have the place to ourselves. (or so it seemed)
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Rumor 2: Weyco in their grand wisdom is going to charge approximately $300 Per PERSON (not vehicle, but person) to hunt their lands starting next year.

This rumor- I would be shocked if this was not true. And, $300 is about what I would expect. I would also think Pe Ell and Vail will be increased to the same.

Margaret and Toutle elk permits should be an easy draw next year.  Or, what's more likely is that both units will be open for the general season next year.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
It seems to me that if the state shot 600 elk we would have heard about the rumor before hunting season started. Someone probably would have seen something. And that's a lot of state employees trying to roam those woods to find the elk and it would have looked like modern season in there to do so.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
I would put money on rumor #1 being pure B.S.

Where is Weyco surrounded by DNR? Havent seen it. There are patches of state land in Weyco. A big patch that usually has access available out of Toutle.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:44:35 AM by HntnFsh »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »

I would put money on rumor #2 being pure B.S.

Why would they not charge for access? They already are for Vail and Pe Ell. Why would St Helens be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 05:43:25 AM »

I would put money on rumor #2 being pure B.S.

Why would they not charge for access? They already are for Vail and Pe Ell. Why would St Helens be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right! I had one of those DUH moments. Meant rumor #1. About killing all the hoof rot elk. I guess the UFOs flew them out so nobody would find them. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if St. Helens tree far goes to fee access.

I'll go back and edit my previous post.

Offline Ductsquatch

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
reading this thread I find a common thread.
Lots of hunters.
Decreasing number of animals.
Lots of people looking for a new area.

I went down for opening day, it was my first time there. My Dad went with me, but had to bail early due to medical reasons, leaving me on my own in a new area. I hunted 2 clearcuts, never saw a thing other than more hunters. Then the weather went crazy and I ended up going home without setting up camp. Two days later, I decided to go where I got my deer. (whole different area). There were not a lot of hunters....and there were FRESH clearcuts within 5 miles. (access only clear cuts of course). Drove up, and hiked  about 2 miles down one of those chopped up roads that have been abandoned........Found a herd of elk........didn't see them.......but they were RIGHT there.......fresh tracks in snow.....scatt with no snow or ice on it..........
Next year..........next year. Mountain Bike Pack In. 8)

Offline SFD2015

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
Where is Weyco surrounded by DNR? Havent seen it

One of the dudes in our hunting party had a chip on his GPS that gave Land Ownership information. We were VERY surprised to see allot of DNR off of  :IBCOOL: Mountain (By the way, Roy Boy, saw your mailbox... COOL) as well as a number of private party parcels. We noticed allot more DNR than we had ever known. That Chip was worth every cent that he spent on it!  :chuckle:

The Elk seemed to be VERY scattered this year (Ran into some good ol boys that had some GREAT luck hunting their first year in the Coweeman) and I was actually surprised at the number of hunters. Some said that there seemed to be allot of hunters (I did notice an uptick in Road hunters and rigs parked on some clear cuts) but had the majority of the unit been open for access off the 500 I think allot of that would have thinned out. and the numbers would have at least seemed not as bad. The weekends as usual were the worst.

There will be allot of people looking for new grounds next year. I am still having difficulty imagining how they are going to enforce this, if I go in on DNR and cross into Weyco through the forest and not necessarily through the road. Also wondering exactly how they are going to work permits. Not sure that Toutle Bull Tag is going to worth that price.

We did see a number of elk carcasses but you can't tell how bones die! A few cows and some missing heads so I can imagine those were bulls taken by hunters. Other than the rumors from the locals, I haven't heard anything to substantiate it.
IAFF 27
VFW, NRA, RMEF

Offline bigsads

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
we found several bone piles with heads in the timber off the 1100, and a younger guy in our camp found 8 total bone piles on the 1108.  Something was very different up there this year, I hunted everyday accept 1, and only bumped 8 total elk, not including the group I glassed on the Port Blakely 300 rd, where a logger drove into a clear cut that I had worked my way to in the dark and shot one and loaded it with his shovel loader.  BTW, I spent more time on my boots and in the timber, swamps and brush each day rather than in my truck driving around.

Offline blacktaill

• Tracker
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
Where is Weyco surrounded by DNR? Havent seen it

One of the dudes in our hunting party had a chip on his GPS that gave Land Ownership information. We were VERY surprised to see allot of DNR off of  :IBCOOL: Mountain (By the way, Roy Boy, saw your mailbox... COOL) as well as a number of private party parcels. We noticed allot more DNR than we had ever known. That Chip was worth every cent that he spent on it!  :chuckle:

The Elk seemed to be VERY scattered this year (Ran into some good ol boys that had some GREAT luck hunting their first year in the Coweeman) and I was actually surprised at the number of hunters. Some said that there seemed to be allot of hunters (I did notice an uptick in Road hunters and rigs parked on some clear cuts) but had the majority of the unit been open for access off the 500 I think allot of that would have thinned out. and the numbers would have at least seemed not as bad. The weekends as usual were the worst.

There will be allot of people looking for new grounds next year. I am still having difficulty imagining how they are going to enforce this, if I go in on DNR and cross into Weyco through the forest and not necessarily through the road. Also wondering exactly how they are going to work permits. Not sure that Toutle Bull Tag is going to worth that price.

We did see a number of elk carcasses but you can't tell how bones die! A few cows and some missing heads so I can imagine those were bulls taken by hunters. Other than the rumors from the locals, I haven't heard anything to substantiate it.

Took a picture with my buddy next to the mailbox! That was funny as hell to see in the middle of the woods!  :chuckle:

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
Access and habitat is everything... too many hunters worrying about wolves, not enough worrying about preserving habitat and our access to it. For some reason wolves really light the fires, but people will basically turn a blind eye towards gradual development and closing off of habitat. So more and more hunters get squeezed into fewer and fewer areas.

Offline scree

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »

[/quote]

Could not have said it better my self RadSav particularly your last sentence.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »
Blacktail,
 Royboy sets up camp in September and usually stays through the middle of Dec and sometimes longer. He's had several Turkey Day feasts up there. His campset is quite unique and he's getting better at it every year. All the comforts of home!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:31 AM »
Just got home from the Winston.  Wife and CL are still up there.  Worst I have ever seen and the difference from last year to this year is extreme.  What few elk are left are really staying glued to the Christmas trees, normal spots completely bare of fresh sign,  a few signs of rifle kills in the usual spots, but looks like they never returned after that.  Been a long time since seeing this much poaching activity too.  Dead spikes left to rot (third I've found in the past three years), two calves killed during the night, gutted and left in the alders with no game tags attached...and a lot more.  Reminds me of the Manastash back in the late '80's when half the guys in Buck Meadows camp slept all day and started hunting after dinner.

Been hunting the Winston since the mid eighties.  Wanted to leave and never come back when they took our bulls away a few years ago.  But the wife loves the place so we kept going back.  This year she told me this is our last year there.  At one time I was looking at buying the Bigfoot gift shop and turning it into a first class camp ground for hunters.  Glad I didn't do that!  Would have lost my arse as I expect plenty like us expect it will never get better in our lifetime and will never return after this season. 

Saw enough carcasses to figure the hard hunting rifle guys had reasonable success.  But man!  Compared to ten years ago makes a grown man want to cry. :'(
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
I hear ya rad
I have hunted it since they used to give away the tree damage maps in the 80s
terrible now
have not been back for 2 years
Tried Williams creek didnt really like it
If westside I'm thinking Lewis river, eastside Colockum or Manastash
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Thehowler

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
I've only hunted this area for the past 5 years, but in that time, I  have seen the hunting go from ok to dismal.
Difference being this year, if I wasn't at my hunting spot before it even started getting light out, I would risk being trapped behind rolling road blocks or someone trying to block an Entire road system until they could see enough to be the fist in to road hunt. Sick.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline BowForElk

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
My dad and I were down friday til today we hauled *** outta camp around 1400. We have been hunting the winston early and late for the last 6 years and this has been the complete worst year. We only saw 1 doe that was last night. No fresh sign, no fresh tracks it was horrible. We were camped at the park in kid valley and every hunter we talked to had been there longer than us and seen squat.

We were told about the cow tags (the real number i dunno) also heard about wolves. I never saw a wolf but we did find an unusual amount of bones. bones were everywhere in the timber and it may be winter kills gut shots I dunno but it was pretty bad.

this morning since they were back in there logging we stopped and talked to one of the weyco guys turnin people around and he said that Weyco has no plans for permits for their st helens tree farm.. take it for what its worth.

I hope something changes cause its a good unit there is a lot of pressure although I didnt see that many people this weekend and we usually go the same four days every year.

I will say that Im scrambling to find another place for this weekend cause 4 days and not even a yellow rear end running for the timber is NOT GOOD. but we were gettin snowed on before we left and they are set for a lot of cold weather so we will see. maybe a few inches of snow will turn things around

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »
a friend of mine killed one in there yesterday.
Team nubby!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal