collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whats wrong with my Knight Bighorn?  (Read 5604 times)

Offline luv2hunt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF
Whats wrong with my Knight Bighorn?
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
I think something is wrong with my Bighorn. If you pull the bolt back in the loaded/fire position, then tap the back of the bolt where secondary is it slides forward to fire. I do know it won't fire because secondary is not screwed out but wth?  BTW since this started happening I noticed that if I put my finger on the trigger and just barely touch it with the primary safety off it will fire. Is there something wrong with the trigger mechanism? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Offline buckhorn2

• Frontiersman
Re: Whats wrong with my Knight Bighorn?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
If you cleaned it you might take it back apart and then put it back together again in case something just was;nt fitted right. If that does;nt work I would get it looked at that's not safe.

Offline luv2hunt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
If you cleaned it you might take it back apart and then put it back together again in case something just was;nt fitted right. If that does;nt work I would get it looked at that's not safe.

I put a thumbhole stock on it two years ago and have Killed two elk with no problems. I clean this gun like like it's a diamond ring. Something went wrong with that little tab that rides in the groove of the bolt I think.  I have also taken it apart and lubricated again with no change. I'm at a loss.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
My bighorn fired last year as I was starting to come down on a bull (shot over its back).

I was like WTH!  started checking, and my trigger was less than 1 lb (I have a trigger scale for competition)

Called knight, and they asked if I was comfortable adjusting it to higher setting.  I was, they told me how to adjust it.

My hunting partner came over to witness my adjustment....because he hunts in close proximity to me.....self preservation.

But I DO NOT know why it changed suddenly.  I had cleaned the rifle and trigger before the hunt, the next day had the problem.

I have not had it happen since my  (re)adjustment.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:04:52 AM by usmc74 »

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
I work in Renton if you want to borrow my scale or want my assistance

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I think something is wrong with my Bighorn. If you pull the bolt back in the loaded/fire position, then tap the back of the bolt where secondary is it slides forward to fire. I do know it won't fire because secondary is not screwed out but wth?  BTW since this started happening I noticed that if I put my finger on the trigger and just barely touch it with the primary safety off it will fire. Is there something wrong with the trigger mechanism? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

For some reason the trigger assemblies coolect a lot of crude... I have now started just removing the trigger assembly after cleaning the rifle and flushing the trigger with carb cleaner - re-lube it an install it again... Probably would be easier just to remove the trigger while cleaning period...

The sear pin area really just collect gunk...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »

For some reason the trigger assemblies coolect a lot of crude... I have now started just removing the trigger assembly after cleaning the rifle and flushing the trigger with carb cleaner - re-lube it an install it again... Probably would be easier just to remove the trigger while cleaning period...

The sear pin area really just collect gunk...

Mine changed after using brake clean and compressed air to clean.  I lubed all pivots with oil and greased the sear points.  I first thought my competition trigger grease was too slick(?).  Cleaning again did not restore the trigger pull.  That is when I called and then adjusted the trigger.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:39:46 PM by usmc74 »

Offline luv2hunt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »
I work in Renton if you want to borrow my scale or want my assistance

Thanks for the offer, I will clean up the trigger assembly and see if I still have the problem. If I do I may take you up on your offer. Thanks

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »
Adjusting a 2 screw Knight trigger...

Offline luv2hunt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
Adjusting a 2 screw Knight trigger...

Thanks Sabotloader, I have always enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate the info.

Offline BOHNTR

• Tracker
  • Groups: Life Member NRA
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
I had the same problem with my Wolverine .54 (uses the same trigger assembly), after I dropped on the floor while cleaning it.
I sent it to Knight's gunsmith to hopefully rebuild or fix. found out the trigger assembly is not made in house and not repairable. All I was told was that here was something internal causing it to bind up. Have a new one coming $126.00 delivered. Not too happy, thinking of switching to a T/C.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
I had a problem with my trigger to. If you pulled the bolt back it would not catch the shear. I lubed the hell out of it. I tried it again with not problem. I shot it with out a hitch. Reloaded her and pushed forward the safety then rifle fired.  :yike: Scary. I pulled apart every thing in the trigger Assembly cleaned and lubed. I still didn't trust the trigger pull. So I adjusted it to have more meat on the shear/trigger. I now clean and lube the sh-t out of it now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:42:17 PM by bear hunter »
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »
Wow.  I find it incredible that knight did not mention the sear when I called them.....only how to increase the trigger pull.

sabotsoader, do you have a list of the safety tests to go through?

My buddy and I checked trigger pull with safety on.  With safety off, we bumped, thumped, jostled and tried anything we could think of to try to make the plunger drop.  It was all good.

Another note: Does everyone need to squeeze the trigger to get the breechplug tool into the action.  I was wondering if this could cause some trigger issues (if trigger was not squeezed)

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Wow.  I find it incredible that knight did not mention the sear when I called them.....only how to increase the trigger pull.

sabotsoader, do you have a list of the safety tests to go through?

My buddy and I checked trigger pull with safety on.  With safety off, we bumped, thumped, jostled and tried anything we could think of to try to make the plunger drop.  It was all good.

You have completed the safety tests that I would recommend.

Another note: Does everyone need to squeeze the trigger to get the breechplug tool into the action.  I was wondering if this could cause some trigger issues (if trigger was not squeezed)

With the height of the sear on that trigger I always try to depress the trigger when installing and removing tools from the breech.... OR remove the trigger assembly altogether.  And yes it certainly could cause trigger issues if you applied enough force.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
I have had my Bighorn for over a decade and have not had an issue.  However I clean my barrel and flush my trigger mechanism with boiling water after every trip to the field and range and then relube.  The boiling water flushes old oil out and heats the metal enough to where any condensation evaporates.  No solvent, no messes. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand