collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: tough moose meat  (Read 14529 times)

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
tough moose meat
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »
I get really depressed when I try to eat the meat from an animal that I killed and it is so tough that it is hardly edible. My wife cooked up some of the round steaks from the moose I killed in early October on two occasions and both times they were disappointingly tough. The first time she just fried them in a skillet. The second time she pounded them first and then breaded them and started them on the stove top in a skillet before finishing them in the oven. Again, both times they were really tough. Then I decided to try cooking some of the round steak in a crock pot with onion soup mix and some red wine (afterall I am a winemaker) and taters, parsnips, rosemary, thyme, garlic and water. This turned out very tender and tasty. I was overjoyed. Then my wife did a crockpot with some round steak but she used some bacon too. After cooking she shredded the meat and we added bbq sauce and are eating it on burger buns. It really kicks booty. Tremendously tasty and tender. I encourage you big game hunters to experiment some with cooking the tougher cuts. So far I am finding that the crock pot can do wonders, turning otherwise nearly inedible meat into delectable dishes. Brian.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
Re: tough moose meat
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
Yeah, I have had steaks from 3 moose (2 bulls and 1 cow) in various cuts and it is pretty tough stuff, I try to roast every piece of moose in a crock pot or similar and cut it with the grain, then eat the strands as you shread them off the roast, it is the best way to eat it I think, the steaks just seem to be tough for whatever reason !!!  :twocents:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
Sounds like you will be eating alot of moose from a crockpot!! That and lots of hamburger :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
Yeah, I have had steaks from 3 moose (2 bulls and 1 cow) in various cuts and it is pretty tough stuff, I try to roast every piece of moose in a crock pot or similar and cut it with the grain, then eat the strands as you shread them off the roast, it is the best way to eat it I think, the steaks just seem to be tough for whatever reason !!!  :twocents:
how long are ya hanging it

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
how long are ya hanging it

Well that depends on which one, 4 days on the cow and I had to trim off the mold from the bulls, the bulls were from SW Alaska in the tundra and that is how the natives did it while I was there, the cow was from Washington so I don't know !!  :dunno: all of them died very quickly and had no long chases or anything, just the nature of them I guess !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline phishisgroovin

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
Baking, bbq'ing or whatever cooking preference you like.
Cook meat open on real low heat (220f) for 3 hours, then wrapped in foil for 2 hours then open again for 1 hour at 300+.
this is my key to (pull the rib bones out of porkribs) smoked ribs.

usually at 220 in a smoke pit/BBQ
TANNERITE needed for target practice on opening day of each hunting season.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »
I do my bear that way love it,never had moose im suprised the steaks are that tuff.I eat my steaks med rare,sometimes over cooking will really toughen them up.O well you got moose thats awesome

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
did your steaks get cut a bit thin? I try to keep my cuts thick. I will soak the meat in milk, montreal steak seasoning...salt and pepper. they all seem to help. it seems that they really loosen up after 2-3 days in the fridge in the steak seasoning. I do only cook my meat to the point where a good vet might still be able to bring it back.......cooking a steak beyond capacity is a recipie for toughness.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »
Thaw out those steaks, cut them into 1 inch chunks and pressure can them.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »
I hear ya Brian! The bull my wife shot is a bit tough as well. The round and sirloin steaks I have cooked and given out have all been tough!!!!! Tasty but the trouble of trying to chew and swallow it takes some joy out of it. Even a pack of Backstraps I cooked up were not real tender. The tenderloins were REAL tender. I hung the bull for 4 days prior to cutting, maybe it is the age of the bull! :dunno: The 6 pt. bull I shot is real good! Nice and tender, real mild, I think its better than the moose! When hunting elk we fried up a pan of moose tenderloins and a pan of whitetail backstraps and you could not tell the difference!!! Some of the best deer I have ever eaten!!!!

Offline WAPITIHUNTER

• Sourdough
  • Wapiti are food and so are elk!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:14 PM »
The key here is to blend your meat with a nice helping of Haggis. Boy after you get a good mouthfull of the Haggis no matter how tough the meat is you will appreciate it. :chuckle: :chuckle:..................................................................................................i know i am a  :sas:

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
Haggis is good, almost like black pudding or blood sausage. Have you tried soaking yur steaks in a beer or bourbon based marinade for a day or so, I've had red stag steaks that came from an old bull that were soaked in a mixture like that and they were so tender, not over done.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
Thaw out those steaks, cut them into 1 inch chunks and pressure can them.
[/quote

:drool:mmmmmmmmm.....................canned moose meat. :EAT:

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »
After also harvesting my Moose I have learned a intresting fact about Moose. They are tuff!!!
I'm fortunate to have a walk-in cooler and a few commercial pieces (saw's,Grinder's,and hamburger packing)of meat equipment. I hung the Moose for 2 weeks in a controlled environment and when I cut it up I was amazed. When I ground the burger the shank's have a tremendous amount of tendons and sinew in them I had to stop and clean off the 3/8's grind plate after about every 3 pounds because it was clogged up. Took over 5 hours to make the first grind. I was thinking this is really a once in a lifetime deal! LOL the second grind only took about 1 1/2 and then to bag it took even less.The steaks are cut to a 5/8 thickness and the sirloins had what I would call a slight resiliency. The overall flavor is mild with not a wild taste.
To those of you who are still in a quest for the tag after you are successful you need to go spend some time with your butcher. Find out if he likes good Bourbon and perhaps 'gift' him a bottle for the experience!

Offline skinzner

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »
This is what i do with tough steak

take the steaks and put them into an eggwash then put in a johnnys seasoning salt and flour mixture then  pan fry in butter until they are browned on each side. Next take them out and put them in a casserole dish and pour your remaining butter from frying pan over the top( not a lot) cover the dish and bake for an hour at 350. This is quite tasty

Offline Vek

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:50 AM »
My '05 AK moose was a pretty old one, and about everything on him was tough.  My wife used a little saucepan-sized pressure cooker to make roasts and things, and we'd add barbecue sauce and pull the meat apart for sandwiches and such.  The big ones do get tough.  This year's moose was just average size and age, and that meat is GREAT. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »
I have been lucky as hell I guess.  Mine were all good, EXCELLENT taste and tender.  I cut all my own so am pretty selective of how it is done and what I use for what..... I am also blessed that my wife is a damn good cook.  Idabooner shot one in Canada that the dogs wouldn't even eat though.  That thing was nasty.   
I never let my meat hang.  That probably goes against some folks.....  The AK moose did sit in the back of my truck for three days and two in the woods before I could process it.  ;)

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:34:35 AM »
wow, 5/8 of an inch that is waaaay thin for my liking. I am more like 1 1/4" kind of guy. thick steaks, long hang times, plenty of time to thaw/relax in some montreal steak seasoning. I have eaten critters that smelled like ass, but cooke up like magic. try it. take a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" steak and let it sit in the fridge for 4 days in season salt, then cook it on a hot grill till it just starts to firm up (6-8 minutes covered) then pull it and let it sit for 5 minutes..........enjoy.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »
For the tough BBQ sized steaks try marinating them in Coke . We will add seasoning to the coke also like johneys and some a-1 , garlic. That coke does help break those tough steaks down a bit. I will marinate for 24 hours at least. I like the flavor also . Its a little different but good. We had a Beef cow that we had butchered one time and had out meat swapped out for an old dairy cow that was so tough you couldnt eat the T-Bone steaks. Thats what we did with them to help tenderize.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »
For the tough BBQ sized steaks try marinating them in Coke . We will add seasoning to the coke also like johneys and some a-1 , garlic. That coke does help break those tough steaks down a bit. I will marinate for 24 hours at least. I like the flavor also . Its a little different but good. We had a Beef cow that we had butchered one time and had out meat swapped out for an old dairy cow that was so tough you couldnt eat the T-Bone steaks. Thats what we did with them to help tenderize.

I was gonna add that but figured I would devalue my whole post......LOL coke is wonderful stuff.

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
 . Just a little overcooking will cause the meat to turn tough. I cook my deer steaks for about 3 minutes per side and then let them rest under foil befor I serve them up. Coke or buttermilk work wonders due to the acids in them, and I hear that vinegar will do the same but have never tried that one.

Sage

Offline burnhamrandr

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
I have taken the round staeks from the moose I shot this year and BBQed them and the are great. With or with out maridinating them. I was worried about  the toughness, but so far so good.
Look no futhure feller, Ya found him.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »
My only experience with WA moose was in '97.  A buddy drew a tag and I helped him out with it.  After we got done cutting it up we threw some loin steaks on the grill.  Some of THE toughest game meat I have ever tried.  I ended up crock-potting all the cuts of meat that I did not grind into burger.  It was real tasty though, almost indistinguishable from beef.  I'm with Bone too.  No hanging game meat.  I like to get them out of the hide and cooled as quickly as possible.  Have had several butchers tell me that game animals do not have the fat marbling as does beef and hanging doesn't do anything.  Just what I've heard.  Plus, I don't have a big enough cooler to hang at the proper conditions.  Maybe if I did, I would at least try it.  Others swear by it.

I was in a meat locker a couple years ago in Belle Fouche, SD and he showed me a deer a guy brought in.  He had hung it in a shed for 2 or 3 weeks (warm temps to boot).  It had been skinned and the meat was almost jet black and covered with gray mold spots.  The smell was indescribable.  The guy said it was the only way he'd eat them.  To each his own I guess.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
Guess I have been lucky when it came to Moose, all have been tasty, tender and delicious.  Don't hang it either, process it in the garage as soon as I get home. 

Did have a really BAD Caribou once, my fault for going after them in the rut, (Oct). They drink their own urine during that time frame and really taints the meat till it is over....  It was really rancid...

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
My ex-employer sweared by vinegar water! A mixture of this used to wipe down your game animal as it hung in the garage, making sure it is real clean of course, and not giving it a sponge bath but just a damp cloth and wiping down all parts inside and out, then he said you will walk into your garage one day and YOU WILL KNOW its time to cut! It will not stink but the odor will change, he said as long as there is no green or black mold your fine, white spots are okay, just wipe it down with vinegar and water, and keep smelling it, depending on temp. he would hang his deer a week, and the venison always turned out good.

All kinds of opinions and tests to try on this thread! :drool:

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
My moose steaks are tough too. Not like eatting leather and very tasty. The hamburger is to die for. I'm going to try cubing my steaks next. My wife made a stew and it turned out great.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »
I found while all the meat was excellent flavored there was a wide degree of variance in tenderness on the moose I killed.  Thanks for the cooking tips Roufus!

Offline SHANE(WA)

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
My buddy got a young bull on Mt spokane years ago and it was some of the toughest meat I have ever eaten, well shouldnt say eaten, couldnt eat it lol, lots of hamburger

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
My dads bull from a few years ago.... he had a butcher cut it up (I cut up all my own too)... if you grabbed a steak out of the package and through it in the pan, it would be so tough you couldn't eat it.. However...if you took that same steak and separated it into about 5 little steaks, trimming every bit of silver skin from between the muscle groups, it was Delectable and Tender as can be...

Wild game meat, especially elk and moose (the bigger critters) have VERY tough and thick silver skin, basically muscle sheaths...one steak, even backstrap, can be 2 muscles or more (some of the rounds are liek 5muscle groups together...and each of those is surrounded by a tough...TOUGH muscle sheat)... so as you look at that steak and it has those little white lines running through it..you GOTTA cut that stuff out...or it will tighten up and just create havoc with your meat...

When i cut up my elk and deer, I separate every muscle and remove the sheath...have never had a tough piece of meat from anything I cut up...

I dont hang either...

Ernie
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
THe one I shot last year is fantastic...  My steaks were cut to 3/8 inche and the roasts are excellent.  The bull was 57 inches wide. 
275 down 2

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal