collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GrizzlyGibbs' Taxidermy  (Read 6932 times)

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
GrizzlyGibbs' Taxidermy
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
So i got a couple kits from Van Dykes and really enjoyed putting these together, they were so easy, and way better looking than the cheap ones with a "cover" that goes over the antlers! Check em out! I should have done step by step but this is what you get!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:54:21 AM by grizzlygibbs »

Offline bowsandhose

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: My first two horn mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
looks good
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.               IAFF
Save a 1000 elk kill a wolf.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
 :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
They look nice! Is the skull intact or are the antlers removed from the skull/bone?
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »
The skull is in tact, it is held on by 4 screws and then i paper mache over to match the form.  Then sanded it down after about 12-18 hours of drying  :bash: i should have put the heat dish in front of them!  Then after sanding them, i cut and did a dry fit for the leather.  After the dry fit, apply adhesive, stretch the leather staple it around the back of the form center, and attach the mounts using 4 screws through the walnut plaques... the finished product is what you see, i could have paid a little more attention to detail around the bases of the antlers but overall not a bad piece considering not the average person is going to inspect it.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
Re: My first two antler mounts
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
They didn't give you any braid to put around the base of the antler?  Or did you not like it with braid and decide not to use it?

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
Re: My first two antler mounts
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 04:48:58 AM »
They did not have braid in that kit!  I however am not a big fan of the braid and think it looks ok without it unless you get up close and personal to inspect it!  I think next time i will build up the mache all the way up to the basea and work on the bases on my next one i do.  Good thing i had a few deer from years past to practice on!  i have two more deer and a small 6x6 elk to do next!  I will post pics of those, and i am gonna get a full sneek muley for my large sheds i found a few years ago too, im just gonna need a cape to do it before i get it! 

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
Re: GrizzlyGibbs' Taxidermy
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
So this is what i have been busy with lately!  A buddy of mine I work with went hunting antelope in Wyoming.  He got his first big game animal on a nice little Antelope buck!  I told him I would do his Euro for him as a congradulations on the kill, plus I wanted the practice.  Here are some pics of the finished product.  I boiled/ simmered the skull and picked at it as i went along!  after i was satisfied with all the little chunks and pieces we soaked it in a small bucket with Regular store bought peroxide for a few days.  Again the finished product!  I should have gotten a picture of the skull without the sheaths.  they were a lot easier than I thought they would be to remove! and the boiling/simmering worked like a charm and made the cartilage and skin fall off the inner bone under the sheaths!

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »
Now I am working on a cape, fleshing it out getting it ready to tan today, and another one of my co-workers smoked a buck and we are gonna do a euro just like his brothers antelope!  he graciously let me have the cape from his deer.  The fleshing is time consuming, but fun!  I am loving this stuff, just wish i had all the proper tools!

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »
Nice job on that Lope man 8)

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 08:17:18 AM »
Thanks, I was very pleased about it, and more excited than my buddy on how well it turned out!  I am hoping my Karma doesn't run out and i end up cracking a skull though!  I am gonna look into  some beetles if i am gonna go long term!  But this is cheap and easy and contrary to what others say has worked out great for me!

Offline Charlie

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:02:38 AM »
Awesome Grizz!!   :tup:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
good job young man..sounds like your really enjoying that :hello:

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
Pretty rewarding when its all done, just think now you getting to look and enjoy them everyday for the rest of your life, its a fun hoppy and rewarding!  NICE WORK
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »
thanks for all the kind comments!  I just ordered a Rt full sneek form and some other supplies so when i get that cape all done. 

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 01:37:55 PM »
First off this post is not intended to be mean in any way. This is intended to inspire you to further improve on your work with every skull that you do. If I came on here and said that is absolutely the best skull I have ever seen using the boiling process I would be lying and not doing you any favors.

Their are no inner nasal bones left inside the skull.  I can look through those holes on the side of it's face and see the table in one of the pic's.  I shouldn't be able to do that. The yellow discoloration you are seeing on the skull in the pictures is grease that has been set into the bone.  I can't really see that well in the pictures and of course every antelope is different but the sheaths and down to far on the core. Normally on an antelope they will be about 1/4" to 1/2" higher.

A trick to lining up the sheath on the core would be to take a small drill bit and drill a small hole in the back of the sheath in to the core before you go to removing them. Enough to put a small wire in their. This way you can line them back up when setting the sheath.

Look into getting the Beatles but do your research first.  A lot of people can't use the maceration process either because they can't stand the smell or where they live. Their is a LOT of info on Taxidermy.net in the skull section.  I can also tell you of a few reputable dealers that sell starter colonies. Beetle have to be kept in a stable temperate. To cold and they will quit eatting and won't be a productive and could possible die. To warm and they will die.  

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
Thanks Michelle, I appreciate your advice!  I had no idea that the inner nasal bones were bones, they kinda all came out with the nostril lining, so that is a good tip... To be honest though i do believe that it looks a heck of a lot cleaner without the thin bones, but thats just my opinion and it wouldnt be fair if I do them for actual customers in the future just because i like the look! 

About the yellow, he said he didnt want it starch white so i didnt leave it in the peroxide for the whole time, not saying its not the grease but do you think it would have whitened up with a day or two more?

I just slid the sheaths on for the photo op, i was gonna use some foam to place them where they actually go!

And I am not familiar with the maceration process, i will have to look into it a little more.   Thanks for the advice Michelle!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:14 PM »
No I don't think the skull would have gotten any whiter.  Yes it may have gotten whiter for a little while but the grease would have came back through with in a few days or weeks.

I probably wouldn't use foam to reattach the sheeths.  Especailly if it is expandable.  Your likely to make a big mess.  Once on the skull and sheeths it will be a pain in the butt to get off.  I would use bondo. 

Maceration is a very easy method and very delicate on the skulls.  It will keep those inner nasal bones intact.  The meat basiclly melts right off the bone.  I have a skull that I am fixing to get ready to macerate.  If I have time I will do a tutorial.  I am waiting for it to thaw out!

Offline grizzlygibbs

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
Cool i will be looking forward to it! I was gonna use foam scraps that we use as cusioning for our med box's on our ambulances.

Also I wish i would have known yesterday cause I already started boiling another head for a buddy!  Maybe next time I will try the maceration!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:27:30 AM by grizzlygibbs »

Offline Alpinegus

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Two comments.
Good job on the horn mount, but I do recommned still buying the braid from Van Dykes or ??.

I use white gas to get the grease/oil out if the fish skins; why would it not work with skulls to remove grease/oils?  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]