collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grinder/stuffer advise  (Read 3784 times)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Grinder/stuffer advise
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
since these things seem to be the theme of the week I figured it was a good time to ask the question. 
I have a limited budget of 300-400 bucks and want to be able to grind and stuff snack sticks, and some brat size stuff.
Would I be better off getting a lower end grinder and a seperate stuffer, or spend the money on a cabelas 3/4 hp grinder and just use the sausage tubes to stuff with?
Also, depending on which way you suggest, what are your suggestions on pieces of equipment?
I have a few Cabelas cards to use so would like to stay that route, but would be open for the Northern tool route or any other suggestions.
This will be used on a small scale.  100lbs of duck and geese and year and 100 pounds of game/pork/beef a year. 
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Grinder/stuffer advise
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
With your budget and amount you're planning on doing, I'd go with a 1/2 horse Cabelas Grinder and a 5 lb LEM stuffer.  It won't be the fastest, but I will fit in your budget and will allow you the ability to do meats down to snack stick size. :twocents:

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
I would get the best grinder you can afford, and use the tubes attached it it, then buy the biggest stuffer you can afford next year. 

It's taken me a few years, but now I have a Bradley smoker, a cabelas 1 hp grinder, an 11lb vertical stuffer, a slicer, and several large stainless mixing bowls and plastic tubs.  I started with a $59 cabelas grinder and a little chief smoker about 7 or 8 yrs ago and have upgraded everything over time.  I don't have a mechanical mixer, but after borrowing one several times, and just doing it by hand, I like doing it by hand the best.  I think I am now ahead of custom meat costs from the butcher from this years deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sexually deprived for your Freedom!
Beer, It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
I would get the best grinder you can afford, and use the tubes attached it it, then buy the biggest stuffer you can afford next year.

It's taken me a few years, but now I have a Bradley smoker, a cabelas 1 hp grinder, an 11lb vertical stuffer, a slicer, and several large stainless mixing bowls and plastic tubs.  I started with a $59 cabelas grinder and a little chief smoker about 7 or 8 yrs ago and have upgraded everything over time.  I don't have a mechanical mixer, but after borrowing one several times, and just doing it by hand, I like doing it by hand the best.  I think I am now ahead of custom meat costs from the butcher from this years deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:yeah:
Get the 1hp at a minimum.

Offline dogtuk

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Salmonclubber
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Get the biggest grinder you can afford use the stuffer attachments but they can be a PIA most of the time but do work and as mentioned get a verticle stuffer when you can afford it and do the same with the stuffer get the biggest and best you can afford do your home work before you buy there are a lot of stuff out there and some of it is junk cabelas has great grinders and so does LEM products as for stuffers I just got a new 11 pound stuffer from Waltons inc and it works great good luck
happyness is a full smoker

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
I get a lot of email ads from Northern Tools, and today I got an email from them and they had a meat grinder that looked like one Cabelas advertises, for $99.  They have lots of stuff, at good prices.  I bought a welding helmet from them, and now I'm on their "list".  :chuckle:
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline Hawgdawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
Hope you all have seen my threads lately. Kind of have the same dilemma going on.  My opinion is don't use a grinder to stuff meat. It's like using your lawn mower to rip plywood. It all sounds good but a all in one tool is a joke! And after grinding and then re grind to go through the stuffer attachment you have game baby food baloney.  :twocents:

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
Hope you all have seen my threads lately. Kind of have the same dilemma going on.  My opinion is don't use a grinder to stuff meat. It's like using your lawn mower to rip plywood. It all sounds good but a all in one tool is a joke! And after grinding and then re grind to go through the stuffer attachment you have game baby food baloney.  :twocents:

I agree, grinding is one thing, stuffing needs a different tool!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:48 AM »

I agree, grinding is one thing, stuffing needs a different tool!

As someone who makes about 100 lbs of sausage a year, I. That said, I would discourage someone on a budget from buying a cheaper grinder because they wanted a separate stuffer.

Get the best grinder now and make due until you can afford a good stuffer.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:38:26 AM »
Hope you all have seen my threads lately. Kind of have the same dilemma going on.  My opinion is don't use a grinder to stuff meat. It's like using your lawn mower to rip plywood. It all sounds good but a all in one tool is a joke! And after grinding and then re grind to go through the stuffer attachment you have game baby food baloney:twocents:

If you use a kidney disc or adapter flanges without the grinder knife and you won't have that issue.

Offline LndShrk

• Cnut the Great
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
Save cash on your grinder and get a lem stuffer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

I own this grinder and have put well over 1000lbs of meat through it over the years.  Never had any issue and the blades / plates are standard fit. 

You want a separate stuffer using the grinder to stuff takes for ever and is a PIA
I say get the LEM because I know the gears are metal and will save you headaches in the long run.  I run the 5lb stuffer it is a good unit and can be had for around $150.00

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 06:28:56 AM »
Save cash on your grinder and get a lem stuffer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

I own this grinder and have put well over 1000lbs of meat through it over the years.  Never had any issue and the blades / plates are standard fit. 

You want a separate stuffer using the grinder to stuff takes for ever and is a PIA
I say get the LEM because I know the gears are metal and will save you headaches in the long run.  I run the 5lb stuffer it is a good unit and can be had for around $150.00

If you are only doing a deer or maybe two a year this grinder would work, but if you do more than that I wouldn't recommend it.

Though they can last for years with moderate use, the motor will burn out if you do a lot of meat every year.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:51 AM »
Hope you all have seen my threads lately. Kind of have the same dilemma going on.  My opinion is don't use a grinder to stuff meat. It's like using your lawn mower to rip plywood. It all sounds good but a all in one tool is a joke! And after grinding and then re grind to go through the stuffer attachment you have game baby food baloney:twocents:

If you use a kidney disc or adapter flanges without the grinder knife and you won't have that issue.
:yeah: the professional butchers I know use one machine. Granted they are very expensive commercial grade machines.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »
I use only Hobart grinders, my best is a commercial 3 inch, model #22, made more than 500 pounds of summer Sausage last year with one machine, the secret is grinding everything first with the large plate them mixing all the seasoning into the mixture then stuffing with a Kidney plate, takes about a hour from start to finish to make 60 pounds. The most important thing to remember is having sharp knifes and plates, each plate needs to have 2 knifes one for each side.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]