collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote hunting  (Read 11767 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Coyote hunting
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
I am really starting to get the itch to shoot some coyotes. Can you guys help me out on where to get started. Like what i need and how to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated  :hello:.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
Re: Coyote hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
Either get an electric caller or pick up some mouth calls and get started learning how to make the right sounds with them. Once you have learned to call or got an ecaller go out and make a stand, if you have a ecaller put it between 20-50yd's from you and try not to move at all. If you are mouth calling its a little harder because once you have something coming in its hard to put down the call or pick up the rifle with out being seen.  As for camo get something the brakes up your out line helps a lot, either a blind of ghillie really helps but is not necessary. I have had coyotes with in 20yd's of me with a ghillie on and I was able to move and take a shot without being noticed. A blind I dont think is as good because some dogs are sensitive to new things like blinds. You already have a good cal for shooting them as long as you dont plan on keeping the fur :chuckle:.

So pick which call route you want, then get a hold of one of the guys on here and we can take you out and help you get started.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »
Thanks DemonTang. Just curious but what caller would you recommend that isn't really expensive? I figred i would just use the .270 cause i don't want the fur :chuckle:

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
If you dont have a lot of money to spend look at some mouth calls the ecallers are pretty spendy. go look around town and see what you can afford or get a hold of the guy on here that makes them.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
There is a inexpensive remote call that has worked well for me, it doesn'thave great range and realy lacks in volume but combined with a mouth call it works pretty good.  It's the Johnny Stewart Attractor.  About $39.00, be sure to get the one with bird and rabit sounds.  Range is about 30 yds.

I carry it when I'm bird hunting, it is small and light weight.  If I find a spot that just begs to be called I hang a feather decoy on a limb and set the attractor beneath it and move back to my stand.  I start the with the attractor on full vollume and about 5 min. blow a long series with the hand call and just finnish out the stand with the attractor running at full volume. 

If you want to spent more money The Primos Powerdog and JS PM-4 are both remote callers with good sound and fair range around $200.00.  Top of the line are callers from  Minaska and Foxpro, $400-$600.   Used callers can be found usually about a third off retail prices. 

AWS

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »
if your gonna use mouth calls I recomend the Randy Anderson calls from primos alot of them come with instuctional cd's listen and practice. I practice on my way to and from work. Also those cheap cass creek calls work fairly well. JB
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
any call will work.  Some of the best calls are free, I've called in coyotes just by sqeaking my lips.  You can also use a flat blade of grass held between your thumbs as a good reed call!

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
you all have fun hunting this winter. feel like i messed up some how.  Rick
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:38:52 AM by bearmanric »
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
Hey Rick, I can vouch for your calls. The two I have of yours that I purchased on PM have put down quite a few coyotes. :chuckle: Plus you always seem to throw in a few extra reeds and bands.Much appreciated.
[smg id=6490]

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
Great looking calls!  I'll be visiting your web site!

Offline alchemyforge

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
I'm gonna jump in here as a newbie to 'yote hunting, too.  I want to use milsurp rifles (cause that's what I got ;)  ) but do I have to buy soft point ammo or is FMJ alright?
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
—"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Sorry Rick I couldn't remember what your user name was, but I did say someone makes call on here. I didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings.

alchemyforge what cal is your rifle, you should buy an bullet that will expand in a light body animal. An fmj will just puch a hole though a yote and you will lose it. I have shot a coyote at 60yd's with an sks shooting soft point bullets and it ran away, so I bought a 22-250 the next day. :P

Offline alchemyforge

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
I've got two of the Finnish Mosins (7.62x54R) that I would use to hunt.  The others are just for show :)... I imagine I would get the same results as your SKS but I don't have the cash to buy a new rifle (and I haven't decided which caliber I want next).
I'll have to track down a good price on some of the Bear soft points.  If I can't find any, though, is it illegal to use FMJ?
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
—"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »
I used a 30-06 125 corelok on all the dogs while living in Idaho,all head shots I needed the money for the pelts,I will now use a 22 mag. I like to be real close,I would sit right in the sage bush,Magpies would come in ,soon as the magpie would flare I new what range the dog could see me.My closest shot 6inches off the end of my barrel,average shot was 20 feet.I just love and miss it,here on the wet side they are all close and quick shots

Offline FALFire

• Crazy Old Man with a Gun!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »
I've got two of the Finnish Mosins (7.62x54R) that I would use to hunt.  The others are just for show :)... I imagine I would get the same results as your SKS but I don't have the cash to buy a new rifle (and I haven't decided which caliber I want next).
I'll have to track down a good price on some of the Bear soft points.  If I can't find any, though, is it illegal to use FMJ?

Yes, it is illegal to use FMJ bullets for hunting in Washington State. I would try to locate some soft point ammo or pull the bullets from your mil surplus ammo and seat some 30 caliber 125gr soft points for predator hunting. Of course try them for accuracy prior to hunting but they should work well enough. Pulling bullets is easy if you have the correct equipment, just a cheap used reloading press, an RCBS bullet puller with the appropriate collet and any 30 caliber seating die and shell holder will do the job.
Checkin' wind and makin' smoke.
That's how I roll...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]