collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's the best layout blind ?  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Dadbear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
What's the best layout blind ?
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
I'd like your opinions. I'm shopping for a layout-type pop-up blind for goose hunting. I'm leaning toward the Avery Power Hunter with the dome style head cover. Any advice? What do you guys think is the best layout blind for the buck?

Offline road.kill

• Hunter
Re: What's the best layout blind ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:20:04 AM »
i think there is pros and cons to each type of layout blind. It all depends how you are going to use it. The powerhunter is pretty low profile, it basically sticks up however much you stick up. Also it is pretty light (i think somewhere like 11 lbs but dont quote me) so it would be easier to pack in than a full framed layout.
Also with the powerhunter you cant really hide your gun on the inside, its gotta stay outside. But its possible to tuck it up so not much is sticking out. Its not a very "roomy" blind either, so it will fit you better depending on your size

All that said i own a powerhunter (unfortunately havent been able to hunt out of it yet). i say to go and try out as many as you can to see which is more comfortable for you

hope that helped maybe a little bit...

Offline Buschingc

• Longhunter
  • Go Big or Go Home...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »
I use the Final Approach Top Gun blind.. It has alot of room, and I am able to fall asleep in it.. It keeps me warm, and its water proof.. I bought mine for $450.00 a few years ago. I just saw them on a weird sale for $189.00 shipped to your door... Umm.. Dont remember where thoough.. Just try to search for it on the internet if your interested..

Offline Dadbear

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
Thanks for the input.  ;)

Offline Black Plague

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »
The final approach is really nice...especially in bad weather, like rain or snow.

Offline Professor Chaos

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »
final approach is the top of the line.  I am about to get either an x-lander or a SUB.
Bringer of Destruction and Doom

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
I've hunted out of the Avery Finisher and the Cabelas model (not sure if the have more than 1).  I ended up buying the Avery because it packs up so nice. 

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »
I'd have to say that the Final Approach Pro Guide is the most comfortable blind on the market for anyone with a little "size" to them.  I have Avery Finishers and they are right on the border of being too small for me (6'1", 280) but I do like the lower profile that they have.  Some of the ground we hunt is void of any cover and is ust shaggy pasture grass.  We can make these disappear in that stuff.  I also have a Power Hunter which is great for hike in spots and low cover.
hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
Cabelas mobile 1 if you want a light wieght low profile blind. It also packs up very easy and is great if you need to move fast or hike in a long ways.

Offline Crispy

• Tracker
  • How'd I miss?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »
I have the Cabela's Ultimate layout and really like it. I like that it's waterproof up to 10" so I can set up right on the shoreline in good cover and hide well. I don't particularly enjoy packing it a long ways, though, but it's do-able.
Everyone shoots three times per bird, right?

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
I have bunch of layout blinds. My favorite is the finisher, roomy and fully adjustable and they make a waterproof tub for them.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
I'd have to say that the Final Approach Pro Guide is the most comfortable blind on the market for anyone with a little "size" to them.  I have Avery Finishers and they are right on the border of being too small for me (6'1", 280) but I do like the lower profile that they have.  Some of the ground we hunt is void of any cover and is ust shaggy pasture grass.  We can make these disappear in that stuff.  I also have a Power Hunter which is great for hike in spots and low cover.
I have had many of the FA Pro Guides.  They have always been great blinds.  Only draw back is if you have to pack them a long ways or if it's really windy.  They are like a sail.  Having said that, they hunt well, roomy and stand up to the abuse very well.  I have hunted out of others as well, but like this blind.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline terrellwa

• Tracker
  • Location: Right next to you...You can't see me I am Camouflaged
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »

For comfort the Pro Guide can not be beat a great blind to lay in and shoot from.  It is large and a pain to pack any distance but if you can drive to your fields there is no comparison with this blind.  I have been in lots of others and there is no way I would trade for the Pro Guide.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]