collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: extend season?  (Read 10400 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
extend season?
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
The last couple of years, January gets here and it seems we have just hit our stride in the field...then the season ends. We spend most of our time afield in December and January, choosing for several reasons to avoid most of October and November. What are the pros/cons for extending the season through the end of January, maybe even mid-February? The survey is out from WDFW and is open for a couple more days, so I thought it is a good  time to discuss.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: extend season?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
What are the pros of skipping October and November?  I know chukar hunting in October can bring snake activity still, but I don't see a downside to hunting birds other than that.

I'd rather give the birds a break when it's cold and snowy and they are most vulnerable.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »
When I used to hunt birds, November was my favorite month to hunt. I could hunt all of November and skip the rest of the season. October is often crowded and the weather too warm. November is perfect. By the end of December sometimes much of the cover has been flattened by snow and much of the areas I hunted earlier in the year would be void of birds.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
I'd rather see rifle season stuffed into 15 days in November and gain 15 for grouse in January.

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
Sure wish it went till the end of the month this year. Only had one good snow hunt for roosters. Nothing like sweet revenge this time of the year.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »
I wish that WDFW had left the pheasant season's end on the MLK Holiday with the quail, chukar and Hun seasons' end. A late season rooster is a hard won prize and the extra week did little to negatively impact the population, but did allow for that chance harvest of a rooster.

Tom
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »
When I used to hunt birds, November was my favorite month to hunt. I could hunt all of November and skip the rest of the season. October is often crowded and the weather too warm. November is perfect. By the end of December sometimes much of the cover has been flattened by snow and much of the areas I hunted earlier in the year would be void of birds.

:yeah:   I can never understand where the hell they go
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »

:yeah:   I can never understand where the hell they go

They go into my back yard!  :chuckle:
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »

If you're talking ruffed grouse, there is a second fall shuffle that often occurs some time in October. That can increase your odds of running into them in a month like November. Generally by December they start bunching up again which can make it harder to find them, but also more likely you'll get into a brood when you do.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
I like hunting em later in the snow......they hold up better and are lower in bigger groups!! Now that I don't have a dog I like snow so I can track em too!! :chuckle:

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
personally, I do not like hunting when it is warm. I would prefer upland to open later and add the time to the end of the season. my 2 cents

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
We had a heck of a last hunt on the snake yesterday. We put up 20 birds unfortunately all but 3 were hens. With that ratio, I'm not sure if we should extend the season  :dunno:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
The last couple of years, January gets here and it seems we have just hit our stride in the field...then the season ends. We spend most of our time afield in December and January, choosing for several reasons to avoid most of October and November. What are the pros/cons for extending the season through the end of January, maybe even mid-February? The survey is out from WDFW and is open for a couple more days, so I thought it is a good  time to discuss

As conservationists, we should ask what the reason would be to extend the season.  Overpopulation of birds that need trimmed?  Pretty sure that's not the case for upland..

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
The OP never did say why he's just hitting his stride in January and avoiding October/November.  I for the life of me can't figure out the pros of skipping those times, other than you are trying to hunt other big game seasons also.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »
The OP never did say why he's just hitting his stride in January and avoiding October/November.  I for the life of me can't figure out the pros of skipping those times, other than you are trying to hunt other big game seasons also.

Because it's down right hot in October. It's tough to hunt pheasants when your dog is tired after an hour cause the heat

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]