collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 762ARMO's Leather crafts  (Read 4790 times)

Offline 762Armo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
762ARMO's Leather crafts
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
When out hunting I always throw a few extra rounds in my pocket, to have easy access. Had extra in the pack, or in the truck as well.
Anyways, never liked the loose rounds in my pockets, so I went ahead and made this, instead of buying one.  A bit rough. Gonna add a little snap, round out the edges, apply another coat of stain and some "leather dressing".
wore it around the house, and feels pretty good. Although not the best looking, but I'm happy. Gonna make a few more for my buddies.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:11:05 AM by 762Armo »

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: was a bit bored
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
that looks nice i've been tossing the same idea around in my head for a while. if you dont mind my asking what did you use to keep the rounds in place? the first thing that comes to mind it the plastic holders that my federal 30-30 ammo come in.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline B-Nut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
Very cool, I love it. Sure wouldn't mine having something like that handy. I have extra rounds on my stock but it is a cheap holder and slides around on it. Drives me nuts.

Offline Cap.Silver

• My love is the outdoors
  • Sourdough
  • If not fishing then hunting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
You gotta tell me how to make these Armo ....
Everyone thinks that I'm freak ,I don't look different do I ?

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
Viva. For this one I used the plastic shell holder that comes with the ammo box. I used the one from the fusion brand, as it seems more sturdy than the Remington one I had. Went this route because it was easier. I'm gonna try to make one without any holders, just by shaping the leather around the round, it would be a little slimmer this way.

B nut,
I didn't like the cheap flimsy ones, so never got one, could've paid $50 for a nice leather one, that's the top notch, but this way I have less than that in leather, and can make a bunch more.

Cap!
I'll make you one when I get some more free time. What round are you shooting?

Offline NoImpactNoIdea

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
Looks good. Is there a plastic insert on the inside? I see that was already answered. How did you shape the leather?  I wish that I was a better craftsman when it comes to these things!

If you go into business I would be down for one in 30-06!

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
I likeit! :tup:

Very cool, I love it. Sure wouldn't mine having something like that handy. I have extra rounds on my stock but it is a cheap holder and slides around on it. Drives me nuts.

I always make a little hole in mine to fit around the sling stud. Keeps it from sliding around.

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
 :yeah:
I love the leather stuff my dad use to do alot of leather work when I was a kid sling, belts scabbards etc. When him and my mom got divorced all his tools got sold in a yard sale along with his reloading stuff. What I wouldn't give to have it all back.
Great idea!!!

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
Looks good. Is there a plastic insert on the inside? I see that was already answered. How did you shape the leather?  I wish that I was a better craftsman when it comes to these things!

If you go into business I would be down for one in 30-06!

Wet the leather then mold it to my liking. After that I set it on a flat surface, and weight down the areas I need to sit flat. I'll take pictures of the process on the next one.

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »

Poke a hole (or add eyelet grommet) and put your sling stud through it. Reattach sling. Won't move around anymore

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Doing things a bit differently this time. Not using any spacers/holders for the rounds, just trying to mold the leather over the rounds.
Also note that it's too cold to work outside or in the garage, so I made use of tools I had in the house, to apply pressure to the pouch, instead of bringing dusty/dirty tools inside.   :chuckle:

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
Here's the final product, before getting the oil treatment. Still have to get and attach the snap fasteners.
Much slimmer without the plastic shell holder, but obviously not as tight in there.

Hope I'm not annoying you guys with this stuff, as I just plan to upload everything that I make to this thread.

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
Re: 762ARMO's Leather crafts
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
Embarked on a new project. Using the fan to help with the drying process.

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
Re: 762ARMO's Leather crafts
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
90% complete. It was an enjoyable project, but definitely made a few mistakes during it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal