collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Powder or archery for elk meat hunt... northeast area of the state  (Read 5471 times)

Offline zblank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
I've archery hunted elk the last five years with little success on the east side of the state. I cover a ton of ground and hunt hard but without any elk vocalizations in early September the east side its pretty tough. I'm thinking about changing to powder for the early season in the 113 and 117 GMU. Early October for one week seems better than early September for two weeks. I'm a meat hunter... so success to me is any elk down. I was hoping to get the perspective of hunters better than me. . Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: Powder or archery for elk meat hunt... northeast area of the state
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
And don't know anything about the east side but I do know that muzzys have a slightly better success rate than archery across the whole state.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »
If you are strictly meat hunting archery is better if you utilize the late season :)

Offline packerfan66

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
Hunted 113 for 4 of the last 5 years early muzzle.  Yet to see an elk taken out up there but have seen a few pictures.  Much scouting is needed as the elk are few and far between.  See more moose and bear than anything.  Deer numbers have been thin in that area as well

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
If you want meat to to Safeway cheaper in the long run.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:19:34 PM »
I have hunted archery both sides early and late for the last 40 yrs, have been sucsessful in elk hunting early and late hunt , I do better in the early hunt , the late hunt is just as good except for the extreme cold, which my old bones don t like.  cow call em in ,  same with the late hunt , best advice is get away from all the other hunters and   learn how to call use scent blocker and lots of elk piss . and don t let the hot weather get you down , keep plugging

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »
learn your area well , play the wind always , have a plan a, b, c, d etc. if you hunt smart and are proficient with a bow you can be more successful .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline zblank

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
Hey guys... thanks for the information. I really appreciate your thoughts.

The first year that I elk hunted I was able to shoot a cow and fell in love with elk but since Ive been dry for the last 3 years. I see elk every year but they seem to be 70 yards and or in brush that you might be able shoot a bullet through but not an arrow. I also spend a lot of time in the woods during early September and have only heard a handful of bugles or cow calls. I typically get pretty deep into the forest before and during the season and far away from main roads but it seems tough to locate elk and get close during the dry loud early September.

What I was really asking is the trade off between the ability to find and shoot a cow in early September  without elk being vocal (if thats your experience) versus Bulls in early October when I've heard that their a little more vocal and maybe easier to find. I love the idea of archery but I love elk meat more. What are your thoughts? Thanks again guys.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »
If I was a meat hunter, I'd put in for rifle cow permits?  And I'd shoot her in the head to get maximum meat out of the animal. Lot's of cow permits out there for rifle.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline yajsab

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
With the area that you mentioned, I think you'll do much better with muzzle according to the reg. 

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
I think the biggest question is whether or not you are into hunting the late season.  If you put in the time late that is the tie breaker in my opinion.  Most people like the idea of the late season, but don't actually utilize it.  It can be the best time to kill a cow where open ( gmu 124 ).  Depends on the year too.  Some years I get into a lot in the beginning of September and some years it doesn't seem to start until the middle/end.  Good Luck.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
If you want meat to to Safeway cheaper in the long run.

:yeah: and I wouldn't go to the NE corner if I considered myself meat hunting  :yike:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
If I was a meat hunter, I'd put in for rifle cow permits?  And I'd shoot her in the head to get maximum meat out of the animal. Lot's of cow permits out there for rifle.

It's funny you say that. It sounds real easy. I drew a cow permit last year (rifle) and hunted my butt off and didnt even see a single elk. Every person I talked to had the same results as me. If your seeing elk your doing fine. Like others said take advantage of the late season.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »

It's funny you say that. It sounds real easy. I drew a cow permit last year (rifle) and hunted my butt off and didnt even see a single elk. Every person I talked to had the same results as me. If your seeing elk your doing fine. Like others said take advantage of the late season.
we did get lucky I suppose, we saw elk everyday and my dad missed two cows before we finally got one on the 4th day.  Few guys on here are more than willing to help,  but I know it's not easy.  I have a buddy that didn't see an elk in the natches unit till the last day. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
If you are strictly meat hunting archery is better if you utilize the late season :)

NOT in NE WA...goodluck..they rarely respond to calls. You have to rely on either tracking or glassing, but spotting elk in this part of the country is not a good tactic as its so thick. Trying to track elk in the snow is tough, chances are the snow will be crunchy. Its one of the toughest hunts in this state to kill an elk in Late Nov in NE WA with a bow.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]