collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: arrow advice wanted  (Read 2460 times)

Offline elkonastick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
arrow advice wanted
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
i have heard that you can fill an aluminum shaft with sand and it makes a good fish arrow. i have only used muzzy fish arrows and have never replaced a point. to attach a fish point do you just drill it and use a roll pin? being a hollow shaft and having less surface contact i feel like a rollpin would not want to stay in. does anybody use glue or jb weld? do they bend to easily? is there something better to fill them with?
i use recurve and a push button reel and i tie to the back of the arrow. if i drill a hole to tie to, will i lose too much sand there? how do you stop that?   
i want to tie in a swivel to keep my line from twisting but have some concerns. i shoot from the shelf, if i tie a big enough loop to let my line loop behind my nock and put a swivel right behind my loop would would it be a danger? would a good but small swivel take the shock and abuse? what do you guys do to keep from twisting lines?

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: arrow advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:46:20 PM »
*tag*  8)

Offline Stickers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
I've never filled an arrow with sand. We'll sleeve aluminum arrows over fiberglass shafts to increase weight to about 1700 grains. Then use a safety slide to tie to. If you normally tie to the back, look at RPM Bowfishing Davey Jones arrow. Carbon shaft with a spring steel inside it. Arrow weighs in at 2500 grains. Tying to the back always makes me nervous. Please don't do it if your using Dacron or mono lines. There are a ton of pictures of people gaining extra holes in their bodies from this.
Scott Estes

Offline elkonastick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
thanks i use monkey wire i think it is braided kevlar, i dont know if that makes it more safe to tie to the back :dunno: i do it because muzzy had recommended not to use a safety slide.  where do you get the fiberglass shafts? do you sleeve the entire arrow or just enough length to get your weight where you want it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:56:52 PM by elkonastick »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal