collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog training  (Read 2016 times)

Offline McCRIZZLEY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Dog training
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Has anyone used strictly those fake bone and scent packages for dog training with any real world success?

I wouldn't imagine they are comparable to using fresh sheds as training devices.

Any stories?

Offline alpha_hoyt1987

• Pilgrim
Re: Dog training
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
I have had good success with it. I bought the training kit from cabelas and start my dog off really young and he finds them. during the off season I will rub the antler scent all over a shed then hide it in the woods and take him for a walk. he has always found it.

Offline McCRIZZLEY

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
Has he found any real ones yet in the wild?

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »
I bought it from cabelas as well. I pick my pup up on Wednesday and will start using it. The way I see it, it cant hurt :dunno:

Offline McCRIZZLEY

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »
That's a good way of looking at it.

Offline KillZ 4 Thrilz

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »
The best training tool I believe is a natural shed.  Why not train with the real thing?  The first day I got my pup I gave him a  fresh shed.  From then on, his toys consisted of fresh and OLD bone.  We played fetch in the house, hid horns in the bathroom, under the bed, behind doors.  We did this same game outside but expanded it.  Its not all about them using their nose to find you horn, u want to train them to spot them also.  Old white sheds work great.  I know I'm no dog expert, this is my first dog, but he sure knows what he is doing in the woods.   ;)

Offline Shooter McBobcat

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
The main reason to not use a real shed in the beginning stages of training is that if your dog picks up the antler wrong he can hurt the roof of his mouth or poke himself in the eye which might sour him towards antlers.  Rather than using the rubber antler I start with antlers that have no brow tine so that there is less chance of the dog piercing the roof of his mouth and developing an aversion to antlers.  It's about training out bad behavior tendencies as it is training IN good tendency. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal