collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Parts are coming together for my new Bear Rifle.  (Read 4857 times)

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Parts are coming together for my new Bear Rifle.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
www.gunbroker.com has some for sale right now. You better get it because it will be gone and Midway never notified me when anything I ordered came in, just like the rest of them. You snooze, you loose.

Midway's Starline brass is $83. People on gunbroker are buying, marking up and reselling. I'd rather not enable them.

I hate to say it but, Midway won't get ahold of you. I paid a buck a piece for brass + shipping. How long have you been waiting for Midway ? I've been waiting for 2 years to get ahold of me.

Yeah, I'll see if I can find some alternate sources...

Depends on your style of hunting.  I use a 338 Federal AR pattern rifle for calling bear in thick cover on the west side.  Goal is obviously to put them down with the first shot, but having an instantaneous follow up is a plus. The OPs build would be great for the same style of hunting and is probably a couple pounds lighter than mine.

It is nice to see more ARs used for any type of hunting as it helps them to be perceived as more mainstream.

^^^^
 :yeah:

That looks like fun! How fast can you push those 350 grain bullets out of that? Not familiar with the cartridge at all.

Wikipedia indicates ~1800fps and ~2500f/lbs. It's not real fast nor flat shooting. The limitations are due to the case OAL has to fit in the AR15 magazine.

Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM

https://www.google.com/search?q=.458socom&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tEojU5WyJKLN2AXb5IH4CA&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=673

Thanks,

sam
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:31:24 AM by 6.8mmARHunter »

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
How do the ballistics compare to other more well known rounds?
When running sub-sonic, it is pretty good compared to other sub-sonics.  Part of the appeal of the cartridge.  Sub-sonic is generally loaded to 1050 fps, so the only things you can really change to alter ballistics are bullet design and weight.  The heavier bullets usually shoot flatter than the light ones when starting at the same speed.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »

How many 25rd mags does it take for a black bear? 

ARs are not the best platform for a bear rifle for a number if reasons but to each their own I guess.
[/quote]

Depends on your style of hunting.  I use a 338 Federal AR pattern rifle for calling bear in thick cover on the west side.  Goal is obviously to put them down with the first shot, but having an instantaneous follow up is a plus. The OPs build would be great for the same style of hunting and is probably a couple pounds lighter than mine.

It is nice to see more ARs used for any type of hunting as it helps them to be perceived as more mainstream.
[/quote]

I should have qualified it as mostly opinion. I have never been a fan of ARs for a hunting rifle. They make a good varmint gun but beyond that I have little use for them. They are typically heavy, cumbersome, loud, and noisy which do not make them ideal in my opinion

As commented above though, it is great to see them in use so they are more accepted as mainstream and have more utility than just a combat weapon. Even though I don't care to use them I would hate to not be able to if I so choose.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »
Looking good  :tup: Don't forget to post pics when it's finished.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Nice.

I have a buddy who built an AR in 458 SOCOM several years ago.

He proceeded to draw a coveted bull elk tag and tip over a really nice bull with his.

Ballistically, it really is like having a semi-auto 45/70 in your hands.   

Great bear rifle.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I acquired some brass, bullets (more), some dies and an OAL guage. I have all the parts minus the barrel. I'm getting close. Come on barrel... Should be here any week now...

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
I got a couple boxes of Hornady XTP (I think) bullets that I got by mistake (asked someone else to get me 45 bullets) and live in Spanaway if interested....

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »
I got a couple boxes of Hornady XTP (I think) bullets that I got by mistake (asked someone else to get me 45 bullets) and live in Spanaway if interested....

I appreciate the thought, but the XTPs won't work for me. They come in 0.452" and 0.475" but not 0.458".

http://www.hornady.com/store/XTP-XTP-MAG/?page=4

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal