collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lighted Nocks  (Read 38527 times)

Offline GameHunter1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Lighted Nocks
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:04 PM »
Bottom line is if you want to use them than do, you don't OK :tup: But if it gives YOU more confidence, and makes YOU a bettet archer, who can argue with you about them being needed or not? Be yourself, forget everyone else's views, because your own views will change with the more experience you gain. :twocents:

I agree with that.
Now that they are legal, use whatever you want.
Just quit complaining about how restrictive the regulations are in a sport that is founded on the concept of self imposed limitations.
Archery was a hobby, and early bowhunters enjoyed using what was their favorite weapon, not because of it efficiency, but because they enjoyed a challenge.
Current regulations and seasons allow Archers a high success rate compared to other user groups, WDFW attempts to balance that.
If we keep allowing advancements to increase the effectiveness of the weapon, then something is going to be adjusted to make it more equitable for all user groups.
WDFW does not care about our happiness, they care about their money and jobs.
When the majority use modern weapons, what is the motivation to continue to allow Archers to have longer seasons, either sex privileges, and the ability to hunt the rut?
Whether we like it or not, Bowhunting has an image to maintain among the non-hunting (voting) public, and our fellow sportsmen.
Asking to use new technology is counterproductive to our own best interest.

Interesting point regarding the traditions of bow hunting. I tend to agree. If the equipment gets too proficient then it takes away from the challenge etc. I would like to try killing a deer with a traditional bow. I was surprised how easy and accurate these newer technology bows have become. I am not ready yet, but I plan on buying one soon and starting to familiarize myself with the craft.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »
Interesting point regarding the traditions of bow hunting. I tend to agree. If the equipment gets too proficient then it takes away from the challenge etc. I would like to try killing a deer with a traditional bow. I was surprised how easy and accurate these newer technology bows have become. I am not ready yet, but I plan on buying one soon and starting to familiarize myself with the craft.

Harvesting an animal with any bow is an accomplishment, hell with average success rates in Washington, just harvesting an animal is an accomplishment.
Traditional has become more about my 6 year old son being able to hunt where I hunt now, and bring his kids when "grampa" is too old to walk the ridges.
I don't really care what weapon he uses, but if we do not find a way to solidify our seasons as much as possible, and access to areas that have sustainable populations of game for hunter harvest, we are going to end up the first state managed for "Watchable Wildlife" and only a select few will be allowed (or able to afford) to hunt in Washington.

Accept the weapons as they are, if you don't like the rules, use a different weapon.
Lets fight for access and seasons, and sound wildlife management.
It is not the weapon that defines a sportsman, it is his actions.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »

Harvesting an animal with any bow is an accomplishment, hell with average success rates in Washington, just harvesting an animal is an accomplishment.
Traditional has become more about my 6 year old son being able to hunt where I hunt now, and bring his kids when "grampa" is too old to walk the ridges.
I don't really care what weapon he uses, but if we do not find a way to solidify our seasons as much as possible, and access to areas that have sustainable populations of game for hunter harvest, we are going to end up the first state managed for "Watchable Wildlife" and only a select few will be allowed (or able to afford) to hunt in Washington.

Accept the weapons as they are, if you don't like the rules, use a different weapon.
Lets fight for access and seasons, and sound wildlife management.
It is not the weapon that defines a sportsman, it is his actions.

I agree with you..

Access is definitely becoming harder and harder to come by. I have done well with access, but I knocked on a lot of doors (and I mean a lot) to gain access to certain private land areas.

I would like to see the WSDFW do a better job working with the DNR to create access easements/routes to private land locked areas surrounding DNR land. A ton of non accessible DNR land due to abandon interest in roads and easements. The DNR land looks great on the interactive hunt map website for the WSDFW. But when you attempt to access it, you may find there is not as much huntable DNR land as you think. SE WA being my example. I have driven and walked to every single piece of DNR land listed in 5 GMUs on the interact hunt map. I would say about 1/3 is not huntable. I was working directly with the DNR managers that oversea the GMUS. Very disappointing and misleading to folks who attempt to take advantage of the website and the DNR land resource. IMO

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »
Bottom line is if you want to use them than do, you don't OK :tup: But if it gives YOU more confidence, and makes YOU a bettet archer, who can argue with you about them being needed or not? Be yourself, forget everyone else's views, because your own views will change with the more experience you gain. :twocents:

I agree with that.
Just quit complaining about how restrictive the regulations are in a sport that is founded on the concept of self imposed limitations.
Archery was a hobby, and early bowhunters enjoyed using what was their favorite weapon, not because of it efficiency, but because they enjoyed a challenge.
Current regulations and seasons allow Archers a high success rate compared to other user groups, WDFW attempts to balance that.
If we keep allowing advancements to increase the effectiveness of the weapon, then something is going to be adjusted to make it more equitable for all user groups.
When the majority use modern weapons, what is the motivation to continue to allow Archers to have longer seasons, either sex privileges, and the ability to hunt the rut?
Whether we like it or not, Bowhunting has an image to maintain among the non-hunting (voting) public, and our fellow sportsmen.

You do realize lighted nocks do not increase the effectiveness of the weapon right?  I cannot understand why this keeps coming up?!

They give you no advantage except for improving your chances of a humane recovery.  All hunters should be for that.   :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »

I agree with that.

WDFW has never adjusted, or threatened to adjust seasons as a result of advancement in technology to archery gear. :tinfoil:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
What WDFW and everyone needs to understand that the harvest numbers in archery are higher simply because of the people hunting not the weapon.  Not saying there isn't excellent hunters in other user groups, but most roadhunters/ beginners/ weekend warriors are going to hunt modern while as a rule people who choose archery are committed, experienced, and successful hunters.  Switch all the archery hunters to modern and the modern hunters to archery and you would see modern harvest statistics go up a lot and archery harvest plumet. 

Again this isn't saying there isn't extremely hardcore modern hunters.  There is, and I know many of them.  You know how it is 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters who have put in the time for years and years. 

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
You do realize lighted nocks do not increase the effectiveness of the weapon right?  I cannot understand why this keeps coming up?!

YES!!! I DO UNDERSTAND THIS !!!

I don't give a rats (A??) about the damn lighted nocks.  :bash:

What has an effect is the constant bellyaching about how the rules are to restrictive, so lets change them.
All it does is give hunters something to disagree about.
If you don't like the restrictions, don't use the weapon.
As I said somewhere before, its like pulling off the freeway to hunt, then complaining because the roads are not paved.

Complain about something that is going to benefit the animals, and the hunters, like sound wildlife management, or lost access.
Don't cry because you cannot use something that "does not increase the effectiveness"

- John Muir
- John Burroughs

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
What WDFW and everyone needs to understand that the harvest numbers in archery are higher simply because of the people hunting not the weapon.  Not saying there isn't excellent hunters in other user groups, but most roadhunters/ beginners/ weekend warriors are going to hunt modern while as a rule people who choose archery are committed, experienced, and successful hunters.  Switch all the archery hunters to modern and the modern hunters to archery and you would see modern harvest statistics go up a lot and archery harvest plumet. 

Again this isn't saying there isn't extremely hardcore modern hunters.  There is, and I know many of them.  You know how it is 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters who have put in the time for years and years.
Ive hunted deer with a modern firearm for 20 years, hunted for my first 14 with modern firearm and harvested 14 deer. Switched to archery for 5 years and harvested 5 deer. Back to modern last year and harvested another deer. That's 20 deer in 20 years, 100%. I feel if you can hunt than your weapon of choice has nothing to do with being successful. Some people are simply not good at hunting, so I personaly don't agree. If I had to hunt with a spear, Id find a way to fill my tag again. :chuckle:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

YES!!! I DO UNDERSTAND THIS !!!

I don't give a rats (A??) about the damn lighted nocks.  :bash:

What has an effect is the constant bellyaching about how the rules are to restrictive, so lets change them.
All it does is give hunters something to disagree about.
If you don't like the restrictions, don't use the weapon.
As I said somewhere before, its like pulling off the freeway to hunt, then complaining because the roads are not paved.

Complain about something that is going to benefit the animals, and the hunters, like sound wildlife management, or lost access.
Don't cry because you cannot use something that "does not increase the effectiveness"

Only one complaining is you, using false narratives and scare tactics that have absolutely zero legitimacy.

It's funny how your second sentence you complain about people "bellyaching" about the rules being too restrictive, and you end your rant encouraging people to complain about those same rules. :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

Ive hunted deer with a modern firearm for 20 years, hunted for my first 14 with modern firearm and harvested 14 deer. Switched to archery for 5 years and harvested 5 deer. Back to modern last year and harvested another deer. That's 20 deer in 20 years, 100%. I feel if you can hunt than your weapon of choice has nothing to do with being successful. Some people are simply not good at hunting, so I personaly don't agree. If I had to hunt with a spear, Id find a way to fill my tag again. :chuckle:
:yeah:

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
[If I had to hunt with a spear, Id find a way to fill my tag again. :chuckle:
[/quote]

LOL...the general spear season opens September 1st. Any fawn is all that is open...

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

LOL...the general spear season opens September 1st. Any fawn is all that is open...
[/quote]

Strap a flashlight to the back end of that thing though, so you can find it easier later. ;)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
Only one complaining is you, using false narratives and scare tactics that have absolutely zero legitimacy.

It's funny how your second sentence you complain about people "bellyaching" about the rules being too restrictive, and you end your rant encouraging people to complain about those same rules. :chuckle:

?
One of us is confused...
I suggest some ESL courses, might understand what I said a little better.
False narratives would be me telling a story that was not true..  :dunno:
Scare tactics would mean I was exaggerating the negative effects of an action, or inaction in order to sway your opinion.
As far as zero legitimacy of my statements, well, we don't have to agree, it is just my opinion.
Then encouraging people to quit complaining about weapons, and complain about an entirely different subject, like management and access is not the same thing.

- John Muir
- John Burroughs

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

[/quote]
I think I can get a good size meat loaf and a couple sandwiches out of the deal. :chuckle: Huntingcis for food and spending time with loved ones, if not why bother? Untill next time, need to work on my spear chuckin!
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »

?
One of us is confused...

Well that's the first thing you've said that's correct, you are certainly confused. :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal