collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Near Spokane  (Read 24308 times)

Offline PendOreilleArcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Elk Near Spokane
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »
Okay, the WDFG reports 1200 animals in the Selkirk herd right? They also report roughly 400 animals in the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge? Then another 400 or so in the Mica Peak / Spokane Mountain area? So that's 800 animals? Simple Math right!

Then if there's only 400 animals outside of those specific areas why isn't the Northeastern Units by permit only for a certain amount of years such as the margaret unit so there can ACTUALLY be MORE than just a few small herds, or one bull with two cows, within our area?   :dunno:

I'm taking slack for giving out an area that has a herd, a real herd, but in the past four years have not seen another like it that accounts for more than 4 animals in one setting...WE DON'T HAVE THEM GENTLEMEN and for heavens sake LADY HUNTERS ( :drool:).

Can anyone, outside of the "MAJOR" areas mentioned even send in a photo of a herd of elk with more than 4 animals from this season?   

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Elk Near Spokane
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »
It seems to me that the WDFW does not want any more elk in that area than there already are. They would probably end up paying too much in damages for the grass those elk would eat and the fences they would knock down.

I do know the WDFW feels that the Turnbull Refuge is overpopulated with elk but the refuge managers won't allow hunting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:46:22 PM by bobcat »

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
I was kind of referring to units 111, 113, 117 and the upper 124 areas. We don't have a problem around here with animal control damage, alfalfa won't grow as the soil won't permit it, out hay fileds get left alone as they're in the valley's and what elk we do have stay high during the summer and then the hay gets cut. I wasn't referring to the specific Spokane metro area where they do get some alfalfa grown, the resident elk herds never migrate and so on.

I'm thinking about a QUALITY high mountain hunt, in the meadows of the Sullivan Lake area where the grizz toys with you, the black bear runs from you and the elk are there like on the western side... WE don't have em' in those units like they do in the western units and we should!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
Why do you think eliminating the general season there would improve elk numbers? Is the harvest really that high?

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:29:43 AM »
Many times I have talked with folks about the amazing elk habitat we have in the NE, but lack of animals.  I agree there should be no reason that elk populations aren't a lot higher.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
Maybe putting a gate on every single road from Bead Lake or Skookum Cr. Rd all the way to the Canadian border in the Selkirk unit and keeping them to foot travel only over the next 10 years would dramatically improve the animal habatit and carrying capacity.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
Many times I have talked with folks about the amazing elk habitat we have in the NE, but lack of animals.  I agree there should be no reason that elk populations aren't a lot higher.

Doesn't make sense to me either.  When you think you can go 3 or 4 miles east of CDA and start finding good #s of elk, it doesn't seem logic that the stuff up around Usk shouldn't be teamin w/ em.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
I haven't spent a lot of time over there but it seems to me that what that area needs is for some fires to go through and open that country up. It would definitely help the mule deer populations as well.

Offline jbaker509

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »
Maybe putting a gate on every single road from Bead Lake or Skookum Cr. Rd all the way to the Canadian border in the Selkirk unit and keeping them to foot travel only over the next 10 years would dramatically improve the animal habatit and carrying capacity.
then you get these  :beatdeadhorse: that ride there :4w: around the gates ride them right threw the clearings were there at thats not going to help much

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
I haven't spent a lot of time over there but it seems to me that what that area needs is for some fires to go through and open that country up. It would definitely help the mule deer populations as well.

I was out Wednesday with a guy that archery hunts for elk in North Idaho and he says the same thing about forest fires.  I would agree with that statement.  He was seeing a lot more bears which is good.

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
You can't have a large ungulate (elk) trying to compete for food sources of a more precious one (moose) the state makes more money off moose tags than it would if that area was a draw only for elk. Besides if we want good balanced numbers you cant have elk everywhere, they are way to destructive to sensitive areas. They already manage 4 species of ungulates up there and to let a 5th like elk run rampid would be devastating to the whole system.

Brandon

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
I would trade whitetail for elk any day of the week and twice on Sundays, but you make a good point.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
Those areas are managed for Moose and Deer.    Elk are not in the major functions of the equation.  That came directly from Wash Dept Game and Fish
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:53:24 PM by TheHunt »
275 down 2

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »
don't leave out the fact that there are cattle grazing all the easy stuff. the true killer is the winter carrying capacity. we just don't have good winter range.

Offline elkaholic

• Longhunter
  • Brokenleg elk
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
mAYBE HIGH COUNRY WILL AGRE, BUT THERE ARE ELK THERE.....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal