collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do we get back Sept 8-21 season?  (Read 41574 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: How do we get back Sept 8-21 season?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
what about us atlatl and spear hunters, why not give us the whole month... :bash:

Yeah they should be able to hunt June-August.   :chuckle:  I also found a rather jagged rock yesterday that is likely similar to what my grandfather's ancestors probably used to brain a fawn with back in the first centurty.

I find it interesting that everytime somebody comes up with "The Perfect Solution" that it usually ends up being more complicated and convoluted than what is already in place.   :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline elk247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:14 AM »
I didnt give them the shaft. Mod compounds and muzzies today have no compare with what the original intent of the primitive season was all about. These weapons have outpaced their perceived category.
I agree a traditional season would be cool. But I wouldn't trade the archery and muzzle loader season away for the opportunity. In all reality you can hunt the pre-peak rut or post-peak rut now with a muzzle loader or archery gear. Give or take a week. Archery the first week of october is the next best as thing to late september. The shaft I was referring to is lumping the compound and inline guys in with the rifle hunters. Bowhunters would never have a chance. Try and put the sneek on an animal wearing blaze orange only to have a rifle hunter shoot over your head from 700 yards away? No thanks. We would be bird dogs with a bow.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 05:50:08 AM »

What? You would'nt give up your compound for the op'ty to hunt in the middle of the rut and have a season that runs for 19 days at the best time of the year? And its deer season too!

Can we ban a muzzleloader from the WSB forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »

On another thread the topic of early Elk Season timing is proving to be on the minds of many. I think we need to understand how we got to where we are in order to find our way back.

I believe the reason we lost the Sept 8-21 elk season was that one wealthy hunter caught the ear of the people who influenced the season setting process by, 1) pointing out that there were permit-dollars to be made if they’d offer Modern Firearms tag holders a chance to hunt a rutting bull, and, 2) suggesting that bowhunters were taking an inequitable proportion of Mature bull elk. I believe the second claim was contrived as a means of achieving the goal of rifle hunting during the rut.

It is easy to imagine that any idea promising increased revenues was going to gain traction and make the decision-makers take notice. What isn’t so easy to imagine is why our biologist would go against widely accepted elk biology and skew the data to support the claim of inequity in mature bull harvest. [I believe it was because he was told to do so by his boss or his bosses.]

Please understand that the WDFW’s own Game Management Plan has for at least the past 18 years said, “Mature bulls are defined as being older than four years, which is usually equated to having antlers with at least six tines on one side.” [I write 18 years because I’ve only been referencing the Plan for that long.]

Here was the ruse: Because the bull harvest statistics up to and including 2007 did not show that bowhunters were taking more than their share of mature bulls (which is what the influential wealthy hunter claimed), the numbers were fudged to make it look like bowhunters were taking more than their share. This was done by changing (only for the sake of the Season Setting Process) the definition of a Mature bull to include bulls with at least five tines on at least one side.

That is right…for the purpose of selling the Game Commission on the idea of allowing Modern Firearms permits during the peak of the rut, the Department included the five point bulls in the equations. [Ask an elk biologist how old an elk has to be to have five points on one side and the answer will be “2-1/2 years with good genetics and feed.”] Including the raghorns changed the results and so what the Commission saw was that bowhunters were taking more than their share of Mature bulls. Under the rules of Resource Allocation the Commission was compelled to accept the Department’s recommendation to, 1) create a new Modern Firearms tag permit for hunting bulls with a rifle during the third week of September, and, 2) to make adjustments to the archery season timing.

One longstanding argument against allowing modern firearms hunters in the woods during archery season was bowhunter safety concerns. This argument was held up alongside their data showing bowhunters taking too many mature bulls and the stage was set.

The Department couldn’t sell the dates of Sept 1-14 like it was prior to 1999-2001 because the Commission remembered bowhunters’ reasons for wanting to get away from that time slot: 1) forest overcrowding due to the Labor Day holiday, and, 2) the warmer weather and the fire dangers/meat loss issues that came along with that. And so someone came up with the idea of a floating start with season opening the Tuesday after Labor Day. That was latched onto like a piglet to a teat and to rub salt into the wound they also chopped a day off the season length. All because someone said bowhunters were too good at taking mature bulls.

A goal of mine prior to the 2008-10 season setting process was to gather mature bull harvest data to find out exactly what effect, if any, the changing of the dates had on the harvesting of mature bulls. I saw the 2008 data and no effect was evident there. But then some life changes and distractions kept me from working on that goal. I wonder, has anyone compiled the mature bull harvest data from 2009-2013? If only six point or better bulls, as per the Game Management Plan, were compared I believe we’d be right on track in our mature bull harvest and we could shoot down the argument that got us to where we are now. And maybe in doing so we’d have some justification for getting back to the dates of Sept 8-21.

This is spot on!  Money talks.  What I don't get is how they figure the 8th to 21st affected their ability to have a few rut hunts for MF from the 22nd to 30th time slot.

To add insult, this year they increased the one permit rut hunts to two in most units which I believe is just the start.  Before long it will be ten then 25.  Why?  Easy, more money.  They don't care about equality.  If they did then the rut hunt would be available for all user groups to apply.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
Next year it will be the 8 - 20. Tues after Labor Day opening is what's it has always been since I started. (7years) not sure what it was before.
it has not been this way for 7 years.

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
Other states get the entire month. We get hosed.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »

What? You would'nt give up your compound for the op'ty to hunt in the middle of the rut and have a season that runs for 19 days at the best time of the year? And its deer season too!

No you can't. I am archer as well. 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »

What's WSB?
Washington State Bowhunters, the section this thread is located in! ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
WSB = Washington state bowhunters which is the forum you are posting in! :(

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline skidynastar33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
Went back and look and 2008 was the last year of 8-21. 2009 was 8-20 and from there till now it relates to the Tuesday after Labor Day as opening

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
Yep, the last two 3 yr packages have been the tues after Labor Day start.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Yep, the last two 3 yr packages have been the tues after Labor Day start.

Which sees it starting the 8th again in 2015.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
I don't want to settle for once every 7 years.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
I don't want to settle for once every 7 years.

The east side modern deer guys have it just as bad, likely worse, I wouldn't complain too much.

Offline et1702

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
Just make it start on the second Saturday of Sept each year and run for 14 days.  This means it would end on a Friday and would not interfere with the next user group that would/could start on Saturday.  Still a floating start date, but much better dates to hunt each year.

ET
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:13:39 PM by et1702 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]