collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Hunting  (Read 9180 times)

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Bear Hunting
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:46:20 AM »
I am new to Washington, and I am wanting to bag a black bear but have not a clue where to hunt. If anyone could give me a hand, it would be much appreciated.

-Tj

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Bear Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »
Where are you located, and or how far are you wiling to go.  Bear only trips or are you hunting them with deer or elk?

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »

Offline kbyers

• Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1053271021
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »
Hard to make a recomendation without knowing when you are located, but the area around Republic is supposed to be pretty good, my buddy says that the Blue Mountains are good too.  Find berries patches
"I think I have a fish"
"probably bottom"
"bottom doesn't head shake!"

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
We need more info..
Where are you, where do you prefer to hunt, how far are you willing to travel, how do you prefer to hunt, etc.

Welcome to the site.

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
I am military, stationed at Fort Lewis. I am willing to travel any distance. I prefer to hunt bear with a rifle, so since I bought a deer archery tag I would be primarily hunting bear. I have found sign of bear or a bear rather on Fort Lewis, but I know it is not very fresh, and I know nothing of their range or the best tactics to hunt them. I figure my best chances would be in an area that is abundant with bear.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
Some of the "local" boys will have to get you more located, but basically go where th e food is.  They are almost non stop eating machines right now, almost 24/7, only slowing when it warms up.  Find the food, and find the bear.  This varies every year depending on frosts and water. 

(Apparantly downtown Kitsap county seems like a good spot if you've seen the other threads) j/k

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
I would hunt downtown Kitsap, but I dont think my 9mm would do it, and I would just look odd walking down the sidewalk with a 30-06. I noticed your post on the "young bear". Where, if you dont mind me asking did you see him at?

-Tj

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
(Apparantly downtown Kitsap county seems like a good spot if you've seen the other threads) j/k

Now that's funny!

VB, were you the one posting at the Big Game Hunt board? I know some of the guys on base are hunting near the Nisqually. The Olympic Peninsula is over run with bears and the SW coast area has a lot as well.

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
Yes that was me. I appreciate the help, but that was kind of like telling me "If you want to hunt bear, you have to hunt in the woods". I was looking for a more particular answer like..

"Capitol State Forest out of the town of Porter. Take Main Street to Logging road X. Drive west down logging road two hours (or ten miles). Get out find creek to south west at 2 hour hike, and you are in "Bear Alley". Happy Hunting!".

That was my goal for a response, LoL. I am wanting someone to tell me their sweet spot I guess.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »
That was up in the Rimrock country....long way from your house.  Out is the woods is pretty specific for bear. ;)   Its hard to tell you to drive 4 hours then left then right, because I bet bruin wouldn't be standing there anymore.  Not really being that secretive.  Bear just aren't there all of the time, its not that easy.  I've been by this spot many times in the last few years and this was the first bear I have caught stnading there, though it looks good.

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 02:07:12 PM »
Sounds like my odds are better downtown Kitsap. LoL

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
You posted that you were hunting the base near the rez and you had stated that you knew an area where other bears had been killed. Me telling you to check that area and around the tank crossing is alot better then "in the woods". Not many tank crossings on the Nasty near the rez.

I have killed bears in the Capital Forest after a few years of hard learning. No one has given me a certain spot, but I do get lots of little info. Several members here share little bits with me and I with them but we never give it all away for free or to strangers. Bobcat and I have hunted a couple times and he still won't share where he killed his spring bear (because it is a spot shown to him by his brother). Bearmanric and I share info sometimes and I would give him everything if he asked, but I have known him for over a dozen years. Ghost Hunter and I met on another site and after 3 years of sharing info, I give him all I know at a given area. It is about trust. If, over time, we started to share info, would you want me to keep it to myself or give it away?

Sorry that I can't give you gps coordinates. Ever share a spot with a friend then find out that the new guy in your spot got the info from your friend? I once showed a brother of mine one of my mushrooms spots and he promised not to tell anyone. Two months later he called to tell me that his boss wanted to buy some and that "they" could not find any at "that spot" and did I know where they could get some? Do you think I share mushroom spots with him anymore?..No way.

If you want to hunt the CF then the A, B, & C lines around Porter are the best I can do right now. The cascara is ripe, huck is ripe, salal is ripe and these can all grow in the same area or completely different areas. Soon the bears will be feeding on gut piles and critters that got away from hunters. They roam by nature and may be in one spot for a couple days then move on.

If you want to hunt the OP then the Forks area is a good bet. Lots of bears up there.

It is like a puzzle. One piece here, one piece there and pretty soon things start to fit. One that is handed to you is not as fullfilling as one that is earned.

Good luck.

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 03:07:54 PM »
Thanks for info. It is hard to put the puzzle together and "learn" all that is needed in one season. Which unfortunately is all I have. With a little luck, hopefully the piece you gave me will prove to be productive.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal