collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A little help would be much appreciated!  (Read 5643 times)

Offline younggun11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
A little help would be much appreciated!
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »
Hey everybody,

First and foremost I am new to the site this year and wanted to tell y'all how much I appreciate the information I have found on here.  It seems to be a great community and I am humbled to be a part of it from this point forward!  That being said, I am in need of some help and guidance.  I live in the Seattle area and am itching to get after some birds this year.  I have walked around out in the Cle Elum/ Liberty area when I was younger and would see some nice turkeys from time to time, but based on previous posts and threads the consensus seems to be that they have all gone away or have been thinned out for various reasons.  So, if any one has any I would love some suggestions or any tips on where I can get into some turkeys within a 2.5 hour drive from Seattle or so!   Thanks!

Offline Lingcod

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
Re: A little help would be much appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »
Welcome!

Best tip I can think of is get out and scout the areas you think hold Turkey. Scouting takes a lot of time and resources so folks aren't in a hurry to give up good hunting spots. There are good maps available for these areas and good Turkey hunting within a 2.5-3 hour drive. When I lived in Seattle that's what I did and found some great spots on my own  :dunno: Another option is find someone to go with that will help you scout and share the cost/work. Not trying to sound penurious, it's just hunting and all part of the experience. Good Luck  :tup:
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Offline younggun11

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
Welcome!

Best tip I can think of is get out and scout the areas you think hold Turkey. Scouting takes a lot of time and resources so folks aren't in a hurry to give up good hunting spots. There are good maps available for these areas and good Turkey hunting within a 2.5-3 hour drive. When I lived in Seattle that's what I did and found some great spots on my own  :dunno: Another option is find someone to go with that will help you scout and share the cost/work. Not trying to sound penurious, it's just hunting and all part of the experience. Good Luck  :tup:

Thanks for the wise words Lingcod! Nice to hear from you too Naches Sportsman.  My hope was not to irritate and encroach on anyones spots, but more to plan and understand the process for years to come!

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
If you look back at older threads it wont be hard to find a town that sounds familiar to you, has turkeys around and is within 2.5 hours from Seattle. Buy your turkey tag this year, get all of your gear and just get out in the woods as soon as you can. Since the season has already started, you obviously can't do any preseason scouting, but you can scout while you're "hunting" this year. Find an area you like then you can get yourself some decoys, calls etc this off season and you'll be ready to go next year. Good luck!

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
If you can afford to buy a call or that would be beneficial to ya maybe a crow call and a box call. Watching turkey hunting shows is pretty much how I got the basics then trial and error after that. Good luck ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
If you had spot before, go back there. They might be on a different ridge or a different tree but its a good place to start, right?  :dunno:

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »
Welcome younggun. Sorry for the "warm welcomes." I'm from the dry side so I can' help too much. I have read in the past that most of the huntable easterns are south of you. Longview, Toutle, Castle Rock, Toledo.......Try heading that direction. And as mentioned before, scouting is critical. Do your homework and you will find the birds. If time permits, try heading this direction next year.
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:46 AM »
welcome to the site, i think if i was you i would head to where you use to see them and start there, i highly doubt they arent there anymore, i would go make sure for myself, dont just take someones word that they up and vanished  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:09:23 AM »
There are still some birds around there, just not as many as usual.  They never really were thick in the first place.  I think people go to hunt there because its not overcrowded and its more about the hunt than the bag(also a tank of gas closer).  If you want to kill a Turkey, go 4 or 5 more hours east.   If you are in it for the hunt and the possibility of bagging something, you will still have fun.

Offline younggun11

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
Much thanks to everyone's responses! Best of luck to you all this season and the seasons to come!

Offline cookingdaily

• Hunter
  • USMC 90-94
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Wow
Naches your full of help and info arent you, I thought this site was supposed to promote outdoor sports and help new people get started using the experience of others on the site. 
There are 2 things no one can take from me!
My Word and My Handshake both of which are True!
Had to steal this, I live this motto daily

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Wow
Naches your full of help and info arent you, I thought this site was supposed to promote outdoor sports and help new people get started using the experience of others on the site.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,150389.msg1995940.html#msg1995940

Offline djnoodle

• Hunter
  • Eat What You Kill!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lingcod

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
That was a huge burn  :tung: and now I feel bad for not giving better info.

PM sent with better info

Now go get a bird  :tup:
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »
Eh.... we are all in a difficult situation about newbies, or anyone asking for specific info. On one hand we want new hunters joining our ranks, on the other, we all feel the pressure of new guys showing up at our favorite haunts.

I have asked for help in the past. I have given help. Usually all behind the scenes, not in the open forum. PMs are king. 

Good for you for helping Lingcod. I bet the OP in time will understand the importance of keeping hunting spots healthy by not sharing too much information in the open. I think back to the old fishing and hunting news placing fully detailed maps of areas with lots of information. I saw the damage this type of info did to an area. I would not wish it on anyones favorite spot.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
  Id Bet If Info In The NE Was Asked For You May Have Gotten More Help.  It's Like Asking Where The Elk Are North Of Spokane.  Not Going To Happen.  Where Game Is Not Plentiful People Are Not As Willing To Help.  It Took Me Three Years To Get A Bird In Central WA.  I Have A Few Good Spots, And I Hunt Them By My self :chuckle:

Offline cookingdaily

• Hunter
  • USMC 90-94
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
http://www.mapmet.com   

don't know if you seen this but it may help

http://www.colville.com
There are 2 things no one can take from me!
My Word and My Handshake both of which are True!
Had to steal this, I live this motto daily

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:46 AM »
I think page two of the Spring turkey regulations really lays it out well.  Just not many birds killed within 2.5 hours of Seattle.  If you have seen turkey in that area before I'd assume you are still going to find them close to there if you keep at it.  While out that way scouting talk with employees of the local grocery store, fast food choke and puke, gas station, post office, bank, pretty much anywhere you expect to see locals that might not be worried about someone finding their secret spot!  Heck, I found one of my very best bear spots from a Jehovah's Witness that stopped by the house...seriously/honest and for true!!  I find non-hunters my best source of qualified leads.  They usually want to tell the world about all the wildlife they've seen.  I've got a buddy in Oregon that kills big Rosie bulls each year and most of his good leads come from joining a bird watching club and chatting with the members while wearing Bermuda shorts and Birkenstocks ;)  You wade through a lot of BS that way, but sooner or later you find the cow that made it!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
That reminds me of when I was a kid and the young Mormon guys on their Mission would stop by my parents house preaching their good word. The first day they stopped by my Mom told them straight up that we weren't ever going to convert but that they could come over anytime and watch TV and have a home cooked meal. Needless to say, they stopped by about once a month for the next two years.

I always knew that Jehovah's Witnesses were bear whisperers...   :chuckle:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »
i am kinda suprised that the game department doesnt plant turkey, well actually not that suprised with all the screwing around behind the scenes, ya know with wolves and all, but how come there isnt a program to make a good population of birds on the westside, there has to be enough food up in the hills you would think, idk, it isnt like they are wild hogs :dunno:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline GobblerGetter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »
This post is worse than people asking for a good deer hunting spot. Wow

The grocery store is a close distance. Other than that, good luck. do your homework for next year :twocents:. it takes knowledge to know where the turkeys are :twocents:

Last I saw bearpaw still had some spots open not sure about the other one in davenport.

Is your name Richard and do you go by the nickname Dick?  I could of gave better advice from Arkansas!

Offline JuryRig

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
I have been hunting turkey in that area for many years.  I didn't even buy a tag this year because I have seen so few birds lately.  Even the guys who have them on their private property said don't bother coming over, the birds are gone or elsewhere.  They are out there still, but very few, for whatever reason.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »
FYI - About 3/4 of all birds taken in WA are taken in the northeast quarter of the state, the two next best hunting areas are southeast WA and the Klickitat, my advice is to consider one of those three areas and just drive a little further, it's probably worth the extra drive time and cost unless you really want an eastern which can only be had on the westside.  :tup:

If you are still lost but willing to drive send me a pm, I'll help.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal