collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A  (Read 118561 times)

Offline BUTTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
Hey Jason here's a question for you and your thoughts we killed a bull last season after chasing him for a few days. Everyday for the first three days he would bugle but it was apparent he kept moving his cows like usual we would try and move closer and same sequence he would take off we finally changed it up and bugled to him he answered as usual but this time we didn't call back and just went right in on him and not.making another peep we got within bow range and took him and one if his cows. I quess my question is how long would you attempt to call in a herd bull before deciding to do such a method?

Offline 6haase6

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
Ok chances are good my cousin will draw a branched bull tag this year. When I had mine in 2012 we set cameras out with salt only. We had bulls all summer on the camera down towards the bottom of a canyon in the thick reprod there was a crick in the very bottom and a stagnant pond we thought they would use as a wallow. We had cows and little bulls at the top of the ridge in the more open trees on just salt. We lost the bulls in mid august and lost the cows as season started (guessing due to traffic the camera was within ear shot of a road). We hadn't seen sign of beef cows all summer around the cam with the bulls on it but when we got there for season there was a herd of beef cows in the area. Ok now for my questions did the bulls leave because of these beef cows or some other reason? Oh yea forgot to say these bulls left right at the time they would be stripping velvet. What should we do or look for to try and keep these bulls around or find out where they are going. I did end up harvesting a bull that we had never seen that was probably within a mile of the camera that had the bulls on it. Only hunted elk in September that one year so we are pretty new at it so any and all input will be more than helping.
Slinging arrows and flinging lead is in my blood!

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
Situation:
It's the first week of October and the herds you have scouted have vanished. Likely due to pressure from archery and special draw hunters. Hunting grounds are steep and thick. There's not enough breakup in the canopy to allow for effective glassing in most areas (think extreme NE corner or Peninsula type ground). Very few logging roads so most travel is strictly cross country without a trail system.

Questions:
(1) What is your preferred method for locating the elk this late in the breeding season.

(2) How would you navigate this terrain in search of elk? Would you stay on ridge tops in order to move fast(er) and cover ground? Side hill at expected holding elevations? Creek bottoms to look for tracks?

(3) If using calls to locate, what type and how aggressive in cold calling/locating situations?

1)Locator bugles will still work or listening for bulls to bugle on their own from a vantage point.  The best case scenario is that you know the ground and have an idea where the elk are at.  Where they are feeding, bedding and watering.  Then slip into these areas at the right time of day

2)Very dependent.  This is where hunters need to adapt.  I would most likely start on the ridge line and try and cut some tracks.  If that wasn't working I would drop to mid slope and then the bottom until I find elk.  I would focus on large chunks of topo/vegetation change i.e; benches, bowls, clear cuts, etc...

3)I would locate bugle often and loud.  The thick timber will rob you of volume and you really can't hurt anything through a locator bugle.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
Hey Jason here's a question for you and your thoughts we killed a bull last season after chasing him for a few days. Everyday for the first three days he would bugle but it was apparent he kept moving his cows like usual we would try and move closer and same sequence he would take off we finally changed it up and bugled to him he answered as usual but this time we didn't call back and just went right in on him and not.making another peep we got within bow range and took him and one if his cows. I quess my question is how long would you attempt to call in a herd bull before deciding to do such a method?

Were you calling on your way to the bull?  I always locate, be quiet and get 60-100 yards away (especially on a herd bull).

I don't know if you were calling or not on the first three days attempts, but calling as you approach the bull will almost always result in him gathering his cows and getting out of there.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »
Ok chances are good my cousin will draw a branched bull tag this year. When I had mine in 2012 we set cameras out with salt only. We had bulls all summer on the camera down towards the bottom of a canyon in the thick reprod there was a crick in the very bottom and a stagnant pond we thought they would use as a wallow. We had cows and little bulls at the top of the ridge in the more open trees on just salt. We lost the bulls in mid august and lost the cows as season started (guessing due to traffic the camera was within ear shot of a road). We hadn't seen sign of beef cows all summer around the cam with the bulls on it but when we got there for season there was a herd of beef cows in the area. Ok now for my questions did the bulls leave because of these beef cows or some other reason? Oh yea forgot to say these bulls left right at the time they would be stripping velvet. What should we do or look for to try and keep these bulls around or find out where they are going. I did end up harvesting a bull that we had never seen that was probably within a mile of the camera that had the bulls on it. Only hunted elk in September that one year so we are pretty new at it so any and all input will be more than helping.

The bulls will almost always go find the cows.    Look at the lay of the land on a topo map and try and figure out where they could be going.  If you want I can take a look at the area and give you some ideas (Don't worry I won't share any info if you want to PM me).

The beef could have affected them but a lot of times they don't bother them.

Offline BenC567

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Jason,

I freaking suck as using diaphragm calls. I can't keep them in my mouth without gagging and can barely ever get a sound out of them.  What is the smallest/easiest diaphragm you sell? I have trimmed up calls before but still can't get them work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
Ben,
The smallest diaphragm I sell is size small, which is a youth diaphragm. I can also set my tape cutter to shorten up the tape.

I also recommend you try the Bugling Bull mini master or Primos mini if you haven't already.

Offline BenC567

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
Ben,
The smallest diaphragm I sell is size small, which is a youth diaphragm. I can also set my tape cutter to shorten up the tape.

I also recommend you try the Bugling Bull mini master or Primos mini if you haven't already.

Thanks! I'll put an order in the next few days.

Offline steeliedrew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »
Drew,
High Narrow palates are tough. I offer a youth small frame that fits high in the palate. Have you tried bugling bull mini master tone top?  That should give you an even better fit than the green all star. 

Jason,

I'll have to order some of the youth frame ones from you and give them a shot soon. I check out that mini master as well. RadSav PM'd me and said he has a great fix for high palate issues and would post it on here. I'm intrigued. Also, will you be doing any seminars this summer aside from the one over on Bainbridge Island?

Thank you,

Drew
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
I have one At Lucky Shot on July 12th and XXX archery on July 18th.

Offline steeliedrew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
That's great news. I'll try and make it to one of those for sure.

Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
  • Live to Hunt. Hunt to live.
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
Tag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Thanks Jason for the amswer and yes we were calling on the way but I think this coming season I will try your approach on sneaking in thanks for the quick response Drew

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
The other way to be very effective is to leave a guy back to locate the bull as the hunter slips in. The bull won't feel threatened this way and will just continue to respond.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
I'm sure I cant be helped, but TAG, just in case.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]