collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A  (Read 118587 times)

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2014, 05:39:41 AM »
Jason, I've been hunting an area the last couple years that I have never heard a bugle in. I have seen the elk, been in the elk but never heard one bugle, not even late at night or early in the morning. I know the bulls are in there but I Can never get them talking. What would you suggest to get them to talk a little just so I can locate them and try to move in?

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
If they aren't bugling at night that may be tough to get them to bugle.  Try night locating...2 hours after the sun sets.

As far as legal hunting times...I would stick to locator bugles and getting in tight and trying to force the bull to respond. :twocents:

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »
Thank you!

Offline hornhunter1987

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  :tup:

Offline girlshunt2

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
Tag

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:20 AM »
 :bumpin:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Woods_Warrior

• Pilgrim
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »
Tag

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
Good stuff.  Tag.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline CavemantheHunter

• Scout
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Jason,

I was drawn for the multiseason elk tag this year. I hunted hard archery early season and had a pig of a bull patterned. I knew where he would be every morning and night but was outsmarted by 100 or so yards each day. The area I was hunting is SW Washington. There is no muzzleloader season there, so the next batch of hunters will be rifle. I intend to go back into the same area come opening day of modern (in hopes no one else has been there). It is about a five mile hike from the nearest access. The bull had about a dozen cows herded up and they used the same pattern/paths daily.

Do you think the bull will be in the same general vicinity come modern season or do you think he will have moved out of the area? There will have been no pressure to spook him, as I left him in the reprod the last day of archery and will be after him the first day of modern (no muzzy season).

Thanks,

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »
Jason,

I was drawn for the multiseason elk tag this year. I hunted hard archery early season and had a pig of a bull patterned. I knew where he would be every morning and night but was outsmarted by 100 or so yards each day. The area I was hunting is SW Washington. There is no muzzleloader season there, so the next batch of hunters will be rifle. I intend to go back into the same area come opening day of modern (in hopes no one else has been there). It is about a five mile hike from the nearest access. The bull had about a dozen cows herded up and they used the same pattern/paths daily.

Do you think the bull will be in the same general vicinity come modern season or do you think he will have moved out of the area? There will have been no pressure to spook him, as I left him in the reprod the last day of archery and will be after him the first day of modern (no muzzy season).

Thanks,

The SW Rosie's will typically be in the same general spots. The small raghorns will still be with the herds but if it is a big bull (like you stated), they will typically break off from the herd and fly solo.  I would probably spend the first 30 minutes of the mornings glassing and then dive into the timber. They will often times be in the bottoms where they have feed, bedding and security.  :twocents:

Offline CavemantheHunter

• Scout
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
Thanks JPhelps.

Offline hunter9949

• Pilgrim
Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Great thread.  I read the whole thing before joining the sight.  My dad got a cow tag for GMU [edit: 5056].  We won't have time to scout it the way we should. What would you recommend to a new hunter like me and my dad?  Here is my plan so far (my dad just relies on luck):
1. Get an elk call, at minimum a locator call.
2. Check google earth for area where elk might go for water somewhere that is also near cover
3. Go there early before sunrise.  Right before sun comes up do a locator call. 
4. Walk closer to elk if one responds.  By this time it should be light. Call until I see it.
5. Shoot.

As you can tell I don't know much about hunting elk so this may just end up being a sight seeing trip.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:55:35 PM by hunter9949 »

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
hunter9949,
I'm assuming that is the  November 1-12th.  The elk will be done responding to calls by that time.  I would rely heavily on your optics and use calls to stop elk for a shot if needed.  Get to a good glassing point early in the morning, if nothing is spotted hit pieces of timber that look good or move to Older jack-fir clear cuts.  That time of the year it is wet and cold down there and I would prefer to hunt the timber.  Use tracks on the roadside banks to help you make good decisions on what timber to hunt. 

Offline hunter9949

• Pilgrim
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
Yes, Nov 1-4th for me.  Thanks for the info.  Last weekend I was in Weyerhaeuser land and heard an Elk bugle early in the morning.  I'm trying to decide if we should go back there or if we should go to the GMU where he has the cow tag.  It's [edit: 5056].  Never been there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:55:50 PM by hunter9949 »

Offline hunter9949

• Pilgrim
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Hey Jason,
Since this is my first Elk hunt do you think I would have better luck at the spot where I heard the elk last weekend (do they hang around)?  or would I be just as likely to find something elsewhere.  The place where I heard it had water and timber, as well as a clearcut. 

We just found out that he was supposed to reserve a spot where he drew the tag and everything is taken so we can't hunt that GMU I referred to in my earlier post.  So weird. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]