collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's the ultimate long range rifle cartridge?  (Read 27652 times)

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
Re: What's the ultimate long range rifle cartridge?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
I shoot a 300rum and can shoot out to 500 yards very comfortably.  Great round and pretty easy to find.  I did pic up the new bushmaster BA50 50 BMG for the ultimate LR rifle.  30-378 not a bad choice either but a little harder to find and is a lot more $.  Cant wait to see pics!
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »
I just finished a 7mm mag build a couple months ago, I cant believe nobody put a vote in for the 7mag.  The problem with the big mag calibers is for most and Im not saying all guys but for most they will start to make a guy flinch and acquire bad habits after a few head knocking rounds.  Thats why I like the 7 its a tolerably gun and with the right bullet Coef. and load its got great down range energy even for animals up to and including Elk.  Specs on the gun....(HS precision full length aluminum piller bedded composite stock, HS precision Stainless teflon coated clip conversion kit, Model 700 long action, Bench Mark 27inch fluted stainless barrell with stainles magnum chamber lug I think thats what its called, timney adjustable trigger, and just traded the Huskmaw scope off for a Brand new Leupold Mark 4 4.5x15x50mm Illuminated recticle longrange tactical scope and last but no least a Vero Vellini sling which I think are the best slings on the market.  I may eventually send the bolt out to have it spiral fluted. Had everything trued and blueprinted when I had the barrel made. Heres a couple pics of the build.  Kinda crapy photos, hope you guys enjoy, and lets see your builds!  BC lets see that 50 BMG, wish I could afford one right now.

Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 01:47:13 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I DID say 'rifle' so the howitzers and the 16" canons are 'out of scope'.  However I should'a been more specific to use.  It's kinda fun, but pointless if all I do is drill paper, so yeah, the ultimate long range rifle cartridge capable of taking all North American big game out to 600 yards.  Figure Bison at the upper end of the game size.  Baseline for what I was considering for my custom rifle before asking this question was as short action chambered for the .30 WSM. 

The most accurate gun I've personally owned to date was a Ruger M77 (original model) in .300 Win Mag. 

That gun was laser accurate with the right reloads.  Easy sub MOA at 100 yards, cover three shots with a nickel.  Had a beautiful walnut stock on it too, very pretty rifle... 

While I wouldn't really take a shot beyond 400 yards as I consider stalking close as part of the skill of being a hunter....but for this discussion I'd want the option to shoot effectively out to a max range of 600 yards. 

IMO...that distance eliminates the lighter bullets as they just don't have enough energy to buck the elements and be effective on big game beyond 400 yards.  Whoever suggested the 7mm WSM is thinking along the same lines I am.  Maybe a 6.5mm or 6mm with the WSM case?  How do you calculate the right rifling twist rate for a wildcat like this? 

On the other end of the spectrum, I was very impressed with the .416 Barrett...if you haven't seen this video...it's worth seeing...

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
Cool rifle Bearhunter. How much does it wiegh.

Maybe you should look into the 7mmRUM or 7mmWBY for long actions. But for short actions I think a 6.5 on a WSM case would be a great cartridge. I really like the SD and BC of those 6.5 bullets, so they should buck the wind pretty well.

I saw an article on the .416 Barrett in one of the gun mags. cool round.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
Short Action = 6.5x.284

Long Action = You almost have to use a .338 because of the ballistics of the available bullets.

Now the .338 Edge for a semi wildcat (no fireforming brass)

I feel the ultimate long range hammer is the .338 Allen Mag.  A .408 Chey Tac necked down.  The numbers are amazing out of this gun.

Offline Ghost1941

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »
.300 wm best all around imo
"Economics is a domino effect--thank god for a steady check from the military! " -Mr. French

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
if you are only going to 600 yds, it really makes no sence to go super sized on your cartridge. I have seen multiple deer and elk killed on cull hunts at that range and a bunch more with a 257roy and 30-06. I think most guys start out thinking it takes the biggest rifle out there to down elk size critters at range. the fact is the big stuff gets there a tiny bit sooner and that is really it. at 600 you have to be a pretty decent shot to make clean kills. there is no shooting at moving animals, wind becomes pretty critical, and accurate ranging is important. go have a peek at carlocks kills, he uses the big magnums but to him 600 is a chip shot and 2000 is getting pretty long.

I would say i you have a sub moa gun and lots of practice, you will be fine with any choice.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
So it's a 600yd ultimate hunting cartridge......

A Kimber or a TI in 300wsm and a 200gr NP
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
A whole bunch of 1000yards competitions have been won with a 300WM.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
it sounds like you already have or have had the gun for your needs. that 300wm, is perfect, 7mm as well, actually, better, as it has less wind drift. if your bored just have a custom stock put on that 300, i have two, from a company called lone wolf rifle stocks, i have the howler and the summit, they are both awsome, but its a 4 month wait, and $700.00. Have a bdc turret put on your scope for your favorite load, and buy a 1500 yard range finder, i say 1500, because that really means 800 or less in most situations.
in short, and on the cheap, keep that 300, and just put a customized BDC turret on your/a scope (i.e. leupold custom shop, $175.00). get the rangefinder, (i have a bushnell 1500 with arc $400.00).
simply range your target, dial and shoot. I have a 7mm-08, and have shot two bucks at 402 and 456 yards, one shot drops. i have shot paper and rocks out to 836 yards so far accurately. good luck and have fun burning all that money.

Offline cascademountainhunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
i shoot 500 yards with my .270 all the time no problem. but i like the 7mm ultra mag for like around 800 yards.

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »
ask the guy in the 950 yard shot thread. He might know a thing or two. Otherwise I would just shoot what you have and get really good at that one gun.

Offline Charlie

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
I shoot a 300 RUM and I love it but I agree with Matt.  :yeah:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »
Allen Mag!  Can't beat the quality and the accuracy.  I have two of them and they'll shoot better than anything out there.  Balistically not much will hang with the 270 A.M.  I love mine, it holds a little under MOA at 1100 yards!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
If your max ranges aren't exceeding 600 yards than your 300 is fine.  If you wanting to push out to a 1000 then the ballgame changes a lot!!!!

Off the shelf.... 300 RUM is awful tough to beat.  30-378 is also a good choice but I'd probably go RUM.

Wildcat.... lots of options.  A good friend of mine just built a 30-338 Lapua.  I really like the way it shoots.  1200 yard shots would be doable w/ it based on the loads he's been able to work up. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]