collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Self bow / Trad guys out there?  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Squidward

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
Any Self bow / Trad guys out there?
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
Hello I'm new to this forum I have hunted rifle and black powder, now I have made me a self bow out of a yew limb pulling 43# 28, making my own stone tipped, shoot shaft arrows. I got to drop the sting a couple times last yr, I ended up taking home experience, I hope to make meat with it this yr.
I wanted to know if there are any others out here in Western WA doing the same. Thanks Ed

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Any Self bow / Trad guys out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
There are quite a few trad guys out here. I would make mention that stone tips are not legal in this state... At least i would have to say that I hav not seen a stone tip pass the sharpness test used on blades, cutting a rubber band.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline arees

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
I am practicing like mad with the 58# yew longbow my wife made me.  I have had it and shot it for years, but this is the first time I will be hunting with it.
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
Thank you guys for the reply's, Glad to here from you, nice to know there are some more Trad hunters out there.
Special T, I have seen no mention that stone wasn't legal in this state nor have I seen any mention of using a rubber band test. all I have seen is, well what is supplied in game laws and it states: " it is unlawful to hunt big game animals with an arrow or bolt that does not have a sharp broadhead, and the broadhead blade or blades are less than 7/8" wide" . It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a broadhead blade unless the broadhead is unbarbed and completely closed at the back end of the blade or blades by a smooth line toward the feather end of the shaft and such line does not angle toward the point"  " it is unlawful to hunt big game animails with a retractable broadhead", I have found no mention of NOT being able to use them.  PLEASE, if I have missed something can you point out were it states this, I don't need to or want to be in any trouble. thanks.
Arees: Good luck this yr. That would be awesome to here you got one with the bow your wife made for you. thanks again guys. Ed

Offline ken1010

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
Squidward,
Welcome to the forum. I use a 53# Recurve, bare bow. As for the broadhead, if mine won't shave the hair off the back of my hand, it ain't sharp enough. I don't see in the regs where it explicitly denies using a stone tipped arrow, but I would not want to be subjected to a game warden analyzing a stone tipped arrow for sharpness. It could easily fail on some aspect,  :twocents:

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
To meet lots of like minded individuals, check out the Traditional Bowhunters of Washington. Go to one of their shoots and you can rediscover the fun of archery and meet many talented bowyers.

Offline Tradbowhunter

• Hunter
    • http://www.facebook.com/In.the.Arms.of.Perdition
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Welcome to an extremely satisfying way to hunt, a word of caution though, hunting with stone tips is not legal in this state. I'm sure you could get away with taking rabbits off your property though  ;)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks."

-John Muir

"You're only lost if you want to be found"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10