collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hunter magazine pack review.  (Read 18557 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Elk hunter magazine pack review.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Like Jason said, for most its an evolution up the pack chain.  I put over 20 animals a year on my back between my hunts, and friends and family.  So for me my Kifaru should be worth every penny.  On the other hand, does my dad need an $800 do all pack? Nope.  Match your pack to your needs and pay accordingly.  One thing that has led me to the top is that I have had and seen low to mid teir packs fail on me in the field and there is nothing worse than gear failure in the field.  I second lojacks recommendation of Mystery ranch packs.   Best bang for the buck out there.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline xXLojackXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I got my Mystery ranch NICE 6500 brand new for $450. Not much more than an Eberlestock pack, but having had several Eberle's I can honestly say it's a world of difference in fit, comfort, durability and features. You can find "top tier" packs for good deals, look at other forums as well. Every now and then people are hurting for money and deals can be had.
there is always stuff on rokslide for sale.  Good tip!

Shhhh  :bash: all the good deals go fast enough as it is  :chuckle:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
It's all about cost/benefit.  What is important to you?  The more you want your pack to do, and do it very well, the more you'll end up paying. 

I have used a Badlands 2800 (bought used and sold it) that worked okay, but it sure couldn't handle a really heavy load.  I have a Dana Design Bridger that I still use for climbing, but it had too large of a profile to make it a good hunting pack. 

I now have a Mystery Ranch Longbow that I bought as a return from their showroom.

There are lots of good packs out there.  However, quality and comfort are not free.  How much of each you need is entirely your personal decision.  If you're unsure how much of each you need, find a used one and buy it.  You can always resell it and get back most or all of your money.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=258356

MR Crew Cab for $350.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Morrison4375

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Hornhunter Packs Prostaff
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
HH full curl is perfect for what you are looking for you can use it as a daypack and haul as much meat as you can carry on the frame ( I know i will get some flak for this because because i staff for them ) I honestly think it is the best all around pack on the market for a good price .

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
 I will throw my hat into the ring on this one. I am by no means a professional critic on gear and such but I will share with my experience. I like most am not made of money and want the best that I can get for the money. I will never critize anyone for what they use because you never know the other persons situation.
I have run the gamet in cheap gear because it was all I could afford and of corse within one or two years had something go wrong or was to uncomfortable. About 8 years ago or so I bought the eberlestock dragonfly.. I loved that pack and put it thru hell and never had a problem with it. As I get have gotten older comfort has become a little more important. I still rough it but if I can make things a little easier I will. I recently sold my eberlestock which I have some regret about and purchased a stone glacier skyy7200. At first glance it is really a stripped down basic pack but has awesome features.  I will say it is almost 7 pounds lighter than my dragonfly. It can be compressed down to almost nothing and can go  up to more room than I need. I needed a pack that not only could I use for hunting but backpacking as well and I felt this fit the bill. Was it on the high end of what I could afford? You bet... I used the excuse that this will be the last pack I will have to buy with my wife.. She maybe believed me.. :dunno:
In the end go with what feels right for you. Try on as many packs as you can and make your decision.
If its brown knock it down

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1