collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hunter magazine pack review.  (Read 18555 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Elk hunter magazine pack review.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
Apparently you offended a lot of people who spent $600 on a pack. Check out granite gear patrol pack also. These can be had surplus for a couple/few hundo. Used can get the expensive packs into your price range. I wanted to read that mag review, did you find a copy locally?
Honestly, it wasn't all that in depth and mind blowing.  pretty much just gave a basic run down of functions, weights, pros and cons.  You could get the same exact info from the manufacturers websites.  They did not put any of these through extensive field testing.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »
Apparently you offended a lot of people who spent $600 on a pack. Check out granite gear patrol pack also. These can be had surplus for a couple/few hundo. Used can get the expensive packs into your price range. I wanted to read that mag review, did you find a copy locally?
And no I was not offended.  Good quality gear is worth every penny and if someone thinks its excessive so be it.  Besides, it was closer to $750 than it was $600! :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
All packs reviewed wereladen with 110 lbs, and used extensivly. None ripped or failed
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
I've used Eberlestock products, before(tailhook), and liked it ok.  And when I guided I borrowed one. Liked it.  But the blue widow an dragonfly, im not sure how small they compress.   Im not going into wilderness and packing in a campor anything. For that, I have a dedicated pack frame.  No, what I'm after is xompactness, mobility and versatility and the abilitu to pack meat.  I gave away my badlands 2200. It was a good pack, but not as versatil.
Check out the Mystery ranch Longbow!  It might be a bit over what you want to spend but is very versitile, compresses nicely, has a slim profile, and the NICE suspension system is very comfortable and can carry more weight than you would ever want.  From what I have read, the mystery ranch products are the most durable out there.  My little brother is with the 75th Ranger Regiment and he uses MR and to say they abuse those packs is an understatement!  He has never had an issue with them. Also they are made in the U.S.A which is an important thing for me personally.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/daypacks/nice-longbow-pack

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
The Blue Widow will compress down pretty small. And for the needs your describing is the pack that came to mind. It does have drawbacks, as does every other pack on the market today. The Horn hunter and Oregon Packworks also make a system that seem like they would serve you well. Although I havent used them personally.

Durability. Comfort. Price.... Pick any 2. Thats the way I see it for the most part. Top tier packs that are durable and comfortable like Kifaru, MR, Stone Glacier, Kuiu etc... come with a price tag that depending on your pack needs and/or pain tolerance  :chuckle: may not be worth the investment.

What I call second tier packs, IMO give up the most in comfort. And depending on the pack may be more susceptible to durability issues as well. This seems to be the direction you are looking. I will be honest, if you are going in deep and plan on hauling out 100+ have some tylenol and Ibu's handy. That said, they will get the job done no doubt and wont wipe out your out of state elk tag fund to do it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »
No functional load lifters which will make for an uncomfortable packout of a heavy load. That's the way I understand it.
Those other packs are expensive for a reason. That's what I'm finding in my shopping adventures recently.
There's a big difference when it comes to a heavy load.

I stand corrected. I've been told this Horn Hunter pack does have functional load lifters.
Sorry for the mis-information.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »
Eberlstock packs were great packs till everyone and their brother cashed in their retirement funds to buy Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs. That's my opinion. I've been pretty happy with my 2nd tier packs. I know there's better out there, but that doesn't mean that the top tier packs are the only way to go. Buy the best you can afford and use the crap out of it. Some will leave you a little sore, but I kinda expect that when hauling 100 pounds 5 miles on my back.
 :dunno:

Now that you mention specifically what you're after, I'd suggest a look at the Eberle x2 or their Team Elk pack. Great pack.

:twocents:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
 $600+ seems insane to me for a pack. But I have never used one. I don't see what's wrong with a $100-200 internal frame pack and $100 for a pack frame and / or game cart. Perhaps the $600+ models are touted as a replacement for all three, but I have yet to run into such a need.  :twocents:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »
Game carts are illegal in wilderness areas or virtually useless in steep country. Otherwise, I mostly agree with what you're saying. I have a little pack and a big pack, although I am considering consolidating packs into one that encompasses everything.

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
I really like my Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter.  The frame is made for quartering.  And the Pack comes for day use.  It has a bow or rifle carrier in it.  Pocket for my spotting scope and it is not to terribly big.  On ther other hand i am 6'10 so to me it is not big.  I do really ejoy the pack though and i think you can get one for around $250 brand new!
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
The kifaru timberline, stripped down with just the meatr bag looks ideal. Byt the price.....  Basically I just want the load bearing suspension and frame, that a very small or very big bag can connect to easily.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Elk hunter magazine pack review.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
What applications are you going to be using it for? Wilderness hunting? Pack frame from truck? Day hunting? Just as a meat hauler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
What applications are you going to be using it for? Wilderness hunting? Pack frame from truck? Day hunting? Just as a meat hauler?

I've used Eberlestock products, before(tailhook), and liked it ok.  And when I guided I borrowed one. Liked it.  But the blue widow an dragonfly, im not sure how small they compress.   Im not going into wilderness and packing in a campor anything. For that, I have a dedicated pack frame.  No, what I'm after is xompactness, mobility and versatility and the abilitu to pack meat.  I gave away my badlands 2200. It was a good pack, but not as versatil.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
You could probably just go with a frame...check cab alaskan

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
No, don't want to hunt with an external frame. Too loud an bulky.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]