collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hunter magazine pack review.  (Read 18558 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Elk hunter magazine pack review.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »
MW, Have you used the Eberlestock Blue widow?

To be honest, I am having a hard time deciphering what your priorties are. Your OP sounds like you are looking for a daypack that will haul a meat load back, and an occasional spike trip? ( To be clear spike trip to me is no more than three days ) But you have hauler frame for return trips for meat, and/or extended wilderness treks?

But now you are talking about a frame option you can attach different bags to with ease, i.e... external frame. But you dont want to hunt off that frame, correct? So essentially your looking for a modular system?

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
Sounds to me like you are way too picky for what you want to spend.   Just sayin!
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »

So, I buy this elk hunting magazine for the review on the cover.  There were twelve packs. Most are way too expensive for what they are. I don't care how cool or functioning they are. No pack is worth six hundo. But, the horn hunter full curl system caught my eye..   I guess whatt I'm after is a pack that is slim enuff to elk hunt with all day while holdin jacket, knives, water and lunch, and be low profile, but still abley to pack out quarters with ease, w/o having to return to camp for a hauler pack.. But still be able to use it for 3-5 day $pike outs.  Any ideas or knowledge about this particular pack or brand?

And for the record...yes, there are packs worth more then 600. I've got about 800  into mine and I'd pay it again before
going with a subpar pack.

But it sounds like you truck camp so your needs are different.

This whole thread is really strange to me, I have to agree that the OP is a bit all over the map. If you want me to tell you the HHFC
System is the same as a Kif, you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »

So, I buy this elk hunting magazine for the review on the cover.  There were twelve packs. Most are way too expensive for what they are. I don't care how cool or functioning they are. No pack is worth six hundo. But, the horn hunter full curl system caught my eye..   I guess whatt I'm after is a pack that is slim enuff to elk hunt with all day while holdin jacket, knives, water and lunch, and be low profile, but still abley to pack out quarters with ease, w/o having to return to camp for a hauler pack.. But still be able to use it for 3-5 day $pike outs.  Any ideas or knowledge about this particular pack or brand?

And for the record...yes, there are packs worth more then 600. I've got about 800  into mine and I'd pay it again before

This whole thread is really strange to me, I have to agree that the OP is a bit all over the map. If you want me to tell you the HHFC

Why bother mentioning the "subpar" pack part? Just because it's not up to your standards doesn't mean it's "subpar".
Folks buy the best gear they can afford. No need to sling the "subpar" crap around.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »

Why bother mentioning the "subpar" pack part? Just because it's not up to your standards doesn't mean it's "subpar".
Folks buy the best gear they can afford. No need to sling the "subpar" crap around.

Don't really understand the need for political correctness to make someone feel good?

I'll call it mid tier pack to make sure everyone's feelings don't get hurt.

There's functionality capabilities that many mid tier packs don't have. There's also many uses and niches that the mid (and lower tier, aka super sub par) packs fit.

My post wasn't to look down my nose at the original poster not wanting to drop the coin, but instead attempt to understand his logic.

1) the top tiered (par) packs are marketed towards and contain features that make backpack hunting easier physically. Functional load lifters, weight, belts, modularity, reliability, quality. So IMO his logic that they aren't worth it is flawed.

2) the OP is all over the map on what he wants, and when reading a review in a publication targeted towards backpack hunting seems to want a top tier (par) backpack for mid tier (sub par) price.

If the OP is looking at strictly the best pack he can afford in that price range I'd look at the KUIU ultra or that HHFC system, though it appears his mind was made up and looking for confirmation.

I hope that cleared everything up.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »

:yike: $800? I can buy a car for that!

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

:yike: $800? I can buy a car for that!
my pack cost more than the car its in the trunk of.
the optics in said pack were close to double the car. same goes for the bow laying next to the rest of that junk...  :dunno:
its all about a persons priorities. some people only use their pack 1 week, maybe 2 weeks a year. or only need it to pack 50lbs. or 75lbs. none of that fits my situation. therefore i use something different than that person.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Don't know about the pack you mention in the original post...however I was looking for similar features in a pack this year when I upgraded.  I ended up going with the Eberlestock Team Elk pack.  So far I really like it.  I will give a better review as the year progresses and I use it more in the field.

What I do know....
-  It is narrow and not very bulky at all.
-  it compresses nicely and does not weigh a ton empty
-  It will carry a bow or a rifle very easily and comfortably
-  It is very comfortable to wear and also wear when I am on my dual sport (this is very important as I will ride my dual sport to trail heads where the hiking begins.   
-  It was reasonably priced
-  It has the ability to pack an elk quarter easily
-  So far it is a dream pack for me. 

Good luck

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »

Don't really understand the need for political correctness to make someone feel good?

I'll call it mid tier pack to make sure everyone's feelings don't get hurt.

There's functionality capabilities that many mid tier packs don't have. There's also many uses and niches that the mid (and lower tier, aka super sub par) packs fit.

My post wasn't to look down my nose at the original poster not wanting to drop the coin, but instead attempt to understand his logic.

1) the top tiered (par) packs are marketed towards and contain features that make backpack hunting easier physically. Functional load lifters, weight, belts, modularity, reliability, quality. So IMO his logic that they aren't worth it is flawed.

2) the OP is all over the map on what he wants, and when reading a review in a publication targeted towards backpack hunting seems to want a top tier (par) backpack for mid tier (sub par) price.

If the OP is looking at strictly the best pack he can afford in that price range I'd look at the KUIU ultra or that HHFC system, though it appears his mind was made up and looking for confirmation.

I hope that cleared everything up.

Haha.... This post got me laughing. Jack hit the nail on the head, when talking packs, subpar should mean Subjective Par. Every review, test, evaluation, whatever I have seen done about packs is different. There is no standard pack test that I am aware of. And even the best "unbiased" tests I have seen, still only account for that individuals, or (small) group of individuals needs. Not everybody needs a pack that is comfortable with 120+ pounds of gear. But to read some reviews you would think a Kif pack will walk along next to you packing your gear by itself unassisted.  And I am not singleing Kifaru out, because I have read glowing reviews on EVERY single pack and company I am aware of. The opposite is true as well.

My earlier post about Second tier packs, was not meant to insinuate that they are not up to standard. Or even that they are inferior. ( thats what I use  :chuckle:) But When I buy a Bentley I expect it to PERFORM better than a Toyota.  Doesn't mean they wont both get me to the same place.  The price should be a reflection of craftsmanship and materials. If not then it is "subpar"

Personally I would love to have a kifaru. I have been able to use a DT2 (borrowed) with alot of weight, and no it didn't carry itself but yes it did carry dang nice and the fit and finish was second to none. I have done the same thing with, a badlands 4500, a Eberlestock, A cabelas alaskan frame, A Dwight Schuh Pack, a blacks creek pack (  :chuckle: actually that one may have been subpar for what I needed it to do) and several no name frames that came from the backs of buddies pickups from who knows where. Nothing carried as well as the Kifaru, but all got the job done. Have I returned packs for warranty work. Yep. Do I think a top tier brand would cure that? To be honest I am skeptical.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
All I was saying is just because it's not a top tier pack doesn't mean it's inferior. A lot of folks work dang hard to save up money for a an eberlelestock pack. They buy it. It's their dream pack, then they come on here and folks are calling them "sub-par".  Every time a pack thread comes up, there's someone who comes across as saying if you don't buy a top tier elite pack, you're wasting your money. Not the case. 90% of guys do fine with a good quality pack without having to spend $800. Me included. Can I afford a Kifaru? Yup. Will I buy one? Nope. Much better or more important things to   spend my money on.  Different strokes for different folks. No PC.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
I have worked through the ranks of what I can afford.  Starting with a Cabelas Alaskan extreme...then a Badlands 4500....then a Dana Designs Terraframe XL....then onto a Kifaru Bikini with DT1 Bag.

Every time I purchased a new pack it was a step up, but I wouldn't hesitate to hit the woods in a Cabelas frame pack.  It worked just fine, just not as comfortable, feature rich or durable as the Kifaru :tup: Get whatever gear you need to go out and get it done.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »

All I was saying is just because it's not a top tier pack doesn't mean it's inferior. A lot of folks work dang hard to save up money for a an eberlelestock pack. They buy it. It's their dream pack, then they come on here and folks are calling them "sub-par".  Every time a pack thread comes up, there's someone who comes across as saying if you don't buy a top tier elite pack, you're wasting your money. Not the case. 90% of guys do fine with a good quality pack without having to spend $800. Me included. Can I afford a Kifaru? Yup. Will I buy one? Nope. Much better or more important things to   spend my money on.  Different strokes for different folks. No PC.

For what I do (and am going to do) a high quality light weight pack is important. The OP made a claim that what is generally referred to as a top tier pack wasn't worth it.

Based on what information? I don't know.

To me it sounds like he liked the look of the horn hunter. From the video I watched it has some neat features and what appear to be functional load lifters. The belt looks ok, but tough to tell, because the guy doesn't tighten it much. Also the video didn't show any extreme loads so you couldn't tell if it barreled or flexed or cannon balled.

The weight? Not so much. Starting weight for a pack that size was a lot.

It sounds like price is the most important attribute to the OP, which is why I rec the Alaskan frame which I think gets you a lot of benefit for minimal price.

There are other packs like a bora arcteryx that can be had cheap and function well but isn't an external hauler.

I haven't seen any elitism on any pack threads, I've tried and seen a few other known kif users quantify what a user finds important and make recommendations.

I rec an eberlestock to a very good friend of mine who didbt want to spend a ton.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »
A used Dana Designs Terraframe may be the best pack for the money available!!!

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »
I got my Mystery ranch NICE 6500 brand new for $450. Not much more than an Eberlestock pack, but having had several Eberle's I can honestly say it's a world of difference in fit, comfort, durability and features. You can find "top tier" packs for good deals, look at other forums as well. Every now and then people are hurting for money and deals can be had.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
I got my Mystery ranch NICE 6500 brand new for $450. Not much more than an Eberlestock pack, but having had several Eberle's I can honestly say it's a world of difference in fit, comfort, durability and features. You can find "top tier" packs for good deals, look at other forums as well. Every now and then people are hurting for money and deals can be had.
there is always stuff on rokslide for sale.  Good tip!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10