collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 9274 times)

Offline wafisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Why?
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »
Pilgrim alert... Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you guys do with sheds?  Sell them, make things out of them, collect them for fun, or???  Eat them?  :chuckle:

oh, and what is your caliber of choice?  Or is it better to hunt them with archery????  :dunno:

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
Mostly I just set them somewhere that will piss off my wife!!  :chuckle: I guess some people sell them, but I don't. I took a large elk shed to work to show off, and went through a drive through, and the little asian dude just about climbed through the window and wanted to buy it from me. I told him no way, I had to hike way to far to find the damn thing.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Nosler partition. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
I usually put them in the garden.

Weapon of choice: my coyote gun, savage .204 ruger with hsm 40 grain v max.  Shoot them on the lower 1/3 of the antler :rolleyes:.

I do the same. I use my sheds as items to spruce up my house and yard. I only have a few but they still make my house more manly  :chuckle:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
I have my big sheds sitting on top of the kitchen cabinets. the rest are stacked in a pile. ii have a few ideas that ill use dome for soon though.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
Mostly I just set them somewhere that will piss off my wife!!  :chuckle: I guess some people sell them, but I don't. I took a large elk shed to work to show off, and went through a drive through, and the little asian dude just about climbed through the window and wanted to buy it from me. I told him no way, I had to hike way to far to find the damn thing.
:Yeah:

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
Forgot to add this earlier, I don't use a rifle or a bow. I just prefer to go after them with my bare hands.

Offline Igottanewknee

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
Forgot to add this earlier, I don't use a rifle or a bow. I just prefer to go after them with my bare hands.

Now that's funny! :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
i just wait for old man yaeger to go get them from deep in the bush and when his wife gets pissed i sneak over and steal them :chuckle: there are alot of things you can do with them, but alot of those things require cutting the antler into pieces or drilling them, but the chandeliers and knife handles and stuff that some of those guys make are just flat out awesome, i wish i was that talented to create stuff like that out of antlers... :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
I have piles of them in my back shop and I shoot lots of them with my camera!

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
I shoot lots of them with my camera!
i have proof

i display nicer ones around the house, my dogs eat the smaller ones.

Offline MLhunter1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
I pile em up in the garage where it pissed my wife off and tell her how much cash were sitting on.  Just to justify my future trips.  I'd never sell em.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:17 AM »
I have made a tree in the living room of antlers and keep adding to it. Added 24 more to it this year  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
Stack em and fondle em.  I always joked I was investing in my daughters college education. (sell the pile) which wont happen.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:33 AM »
Thats the joke with mine...you know Im sitting on gold here  :chuckle:

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:21 AM »
Keep the big ones sell the rag horns

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
i just wait for old man yaeger to go get them from deep in the bush and when his wife gets pissed i sneak over and steal them :chuckle: there are alot of things you can do with them, but alot of those things require cutting the antler into pieces or drilling them, but the chandeliers and knife handles and stuff that some of those guys make are just flat out awesome, i wish i was that talented to create stuff like that out of antlers... :tup:
First of all, after knowing me since we were little pups, I expect you to be able to spell my name correctly. Second, if you come over don't fondle my antlers! Or my wife!! :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
First of all, after knowing me since we were little pups, I expect you to be able to spell my name correctly. Second, if you come over don't fondle my antlers! Or my wife!! :chuckle: :chuckle:
oh come on man, you get all pissed when i call you "ROBBIE" :chuckle: and whats that saying " trust me with your life, but not your money or your wife, or shed elk antlers :chuckle: :chuckle: no way would i do that, i wouldnt want your old crossfit doin butt to kick my arse :tup: :chuckle:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
What do I do with them? PILE EM UP! :tup: Seriously tho, my wife thinks they are cool and add to the "rustic decor" around the house. I have a ranking system for sheds,  :chuckle: ( its a difficult system to explain) :chuckle:  and involves a numbered system based on three categories.  Basically the upper end of the scale get to come inside, they are kept warm, and displayed openly for all to see. Most are simple table warmers free to pick up and caress at a moments notice, or the adorn bookshelves etc. The next level on the scale are in piles which move about as it grows, currently it is divided between the bonus room, garage, and front porch. These are your "users" nice but not great. Lacking in one area or another. Many of these get rummaged through by friends who need project antlers, or whatever. I could part with these and not be terribly heartbroken but currently I am thinking using them for some of my own projects would be the best use for them. The bottom of the scale usually is the most subjective and whether or not they get a ride home to grace the flower beds,or water fountain, or strapped to a 3d target, depends on a variety of factors. (not the least of which is, Have I gotten any today? ) Many times they are admired for surviving that long and then hung in a tree to carry on existence for as long as possible.

Why I do it is mostly for the time spent outside, the ground that otherwise I wouldn't venture into, and the heartskip seeing the tines up of a big set, or spotting the white bur from a single and the anticipation that it might be the match to the one strapped to your pack. :tup:

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
What do I do with them? PILE EM UP! :tup: Seriously tho, my wife thinks they are cool and add to the "rustic decor" around the house. I have a ranking system for sheds,  :chuckle: ( its a difficult system to explain) :chuckle:  and involves a numbered system based on three categories.  Basically the upper end of the scale get to come inside, they are kept warm, and displayed openly for all to see. Most are simple table warmers free to pick up and caress at a moments notice, or the adorn bookshelves etc. The next level on the scale are in piles which move about as it grows, currently it is divided between the bonus room, garage, and front porch. These are your "users" nice but not great. Lacking in one area or another. Many of these get rummaged through by friends who need project antlers, or whatever. I could part with these and not be terribly heartbroken but currently I am thinking using them for some of my own projects would be the best use for them. The bottom of the scale usually is the most subjective and whether or not they get a ride home to grace the flower beds,or water fountain, or strapped to a 3d target, depends on a variety of factors. (not the least of which is, Have I gotten any today? ) Many times they are admired for surviving that long and then hung in a tree to carry on existence for as long as possible.

Why I do it is mostly for the time spent outside, the ground that otherwise I wouldn't venture into, and the heartskip seeing the tines up of a big set, or spotting the white bur from a single and the anticipation that it might be the match to the one strapped to your pack. :tup:

That is a really well written response.

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
  • Live to Hunt. Hunt to live.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
I'm still looking for my first shed! Want to get a knife made for my gramps. He'd love it

Offline wafisherman

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Surprised more aren't jumping in saying they sell them. 

We have a very nice mule deer shed, one side only, 4pt with serious mass, that ny boys found here in the neighborhood.  Figured someone must have discarded it.  Definitely a neat piece that we'll be holding on to.

Offline 762Armo

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
knife handles and stuff that some of those guys make are just flat out awesome, i wish i was that talented to create stuff like that out of antlers... :tup:

Give me the antlers, I'll make something of it, and email your pictures to enjoy and share.  8)

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
I buy them, sell them for 2.00 more per pound to my buddy dealer in MT who goes world wide. All the big stuff I keep and most of them are my fav's which I found while in college when no one shed hunted. I have found some nice sheds in Oregon and B.C also. Now I don't compete with the crowds but find em while scouting and hunting. Of course I went from 200 sheds per year to 3 :) 

Offline elkh8me

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
Those are some funny replies mostly because I can relate with them. If I had a nickel for every time she asked "what are you going to do with all of those things"

Offline bowhunterwa87

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Sell the elk sheds but keep the deer. Main reason is elk sheds are just too big to keep in the house.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]