collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shoot or No Shot - Episode 6  (Read 5643 times)

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Shoot or No Shot - Episode 6
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
7 SEPT, 8:20 AM, Western Washington, 3 PT or better, bull only area.  You're set up along a couple of very good travel/transition trails between feed and bed using a portable blind.  Specifically, you are using one of the Elk Mountain Gear Slip System's with camo cover.  As this huge Roosey bull (grin) approaches your position, he stops and looks to his right, providing you with the shot you see here.  You're located 29 yards in front of the elk in the direction of the yellow arrow.   

Are you shooting? If so, put an "X" on the spot your arrow is heading.

Reminder that if you save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post.

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Shoot or No Shot - Episode 6
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
I wouldn't shoot.

Offline Broken Arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
may question myself a 1000 x's over....but i have to wait for a better shot. I know i can thread that needle...but just too iffy for me, he looks like he is going to bold or jump at the sound of a bow shot.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
I'm not good enough to thread that needle - no shot for me.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline D-Rock425

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
If I had to take that shot I'd shoot straight up from your arrow mid body.  Shoot where the dark neck hair turns to light brown body hair.

Offline Ccortez

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Awe it's cute to shoot I would have to pass.  :tree1:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
Wait.  He is either gonna continue on, reposition, or bolt.  All three scenarios will offer a better shot than this.  Unless you can't stop him with a cow call if he bolts.  Worth waiting in my book.  If I had to take that shot, your mark is about right Phantom.  I love these scenarios Phantom!  Keep em coming!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
If I had to take that shot I'd shoot straight up from your arrow mid body.  Shoot where the dark neck hair turns to light brown body hair.

So, if you had to shoot...... something about like this? (Weird, I posted this a few minutes ago and it disapeared.. this is a repost... probably something I did).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:33:33 PM by Phantom16 »
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »
No shot for me. I'm with BLRman, something will change in the next few moments and I'll take my chances on it getting better.  I'm glad I am hiding behind the Slip System because I don't like his approach angle.  If possible, I want him to pass me so that I get the broadside or "going away" shot angle, instead of the "quartering slightly to" angle.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
D-Rock, BLRman, and Phantom, you all discuss the "have to shoot" scenario. What conditions make you have to shoot?

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
D-Rock, BLRman, and Phantom, you all discuss the "have to shoot" scenario. What conditions make you have to shoot?

I get your point Shawn (good point).  Nobody has to shoot, well, not unless they are a starving pilgrim in the old wild west  ;).  Perhaps "decided to shoot" would be a better phrase than "have to shoot". 
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
I would love to see a bull like that this season.  I would wait.  Making a bad shot on an animal no matter how big is not worth it to me.  The second he gives me an opportunity though.  I'm gonna put one in his boiler room.  Not even a question.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Phantom, I tried not to be judgmental in that question; apparently, I didn't succeed.  I've been compelled to take shots that I thought better of after the moment.  Fading light, end of the season, adrenaline, I can't believe he's getting away from me this time, basically, the "if I don't shoot now, I won't get a better or another chance" situations. 

None of those ended in wounded elk, luckily, but I have shot arrows into elk that I have not recovered.  I hated those situations and they made me sick all over, but they were good shooting situations at close range and darn frustrating to figure out why I couldn't find the dying elk and/or why I didn't have a double-lung shot. 

Those have all helped lead me to "aggressive hunting, conservative shooting."

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »
When I say have to shoot it is ment purely for the sake of the discussion.  Like if the question was, "this shot has to be taken!  Where would you aim?  I am personally NEVER taking a quartering to shot with a bow. Just for the record, It did not come off judgemental Shawn.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
Nothing like getting back home from a hiking trip in this heat to have phantom throw a shoot or no shoot scenario out there :tup:

I'm tired.....I'm really hot..... Ummmmm il hold my draw till he is 100% looking at me....then maybe put it where phantom said... If not il see what else he gives me   :tup:

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:51 PM »
Nothing like getting back home from a hiking trip in this heat to have phantom throw a shoot or no shoot scenario out there :tup:

I'm tired.....I'm really hot..... Ummmmm il hold my draw till he is 100% looking at me....then maybe put it where phantom said... If not il see what else he gives me   :tup:

Ha!  Sorry kentrek, hope your hike went well. Why are you going to wait until he's looking at you to skewer him? 
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
Phantom, I tried not to be judgmental in that question; apparently, I didn't succeed.  I've been compelled to take shots that I thought better of after the moment.  Fading light, end of the season, adrenaline, I can't believe he's getting away from me this time, basically, the "if I don't shoot now, I won't get a better or another chance" situations. 

None of those ended in wounded elk, luckily, but I have shot arrows into elk that I have not recovered.  I hated those situations and they made me sick all over, but they were good shooting situations at close range and darn frustrating to figure out why I couldn't find the dying elk and/or why I didn't have a double-lung shot. 

Those have all helped lead me to "aggressive hunting, conservative shooting."

You weren't judgmental, I thought it was a very good point sir.  "Had to shoot" is really a term for video games with no follow on repercussions, or, like I mentioned perhaps back in the day when it was life or death for you and your family if you didn't bring some game home.  I enjoy your posts, keep em coming.  RJ   
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
Well the elk isn't about to spook because of my presence yet...if he was looking dead at me with those ears, nose &eyes (triple threat/maximum attention) I would think it easy to conclude the jigs up an he will bolt at any given second ...since west side hunting its prolly doubt full if you stop him he will be in another shooting lane (at least where I hunt)...now you mentioned the slip system ?? Elk butt or camo ?? Elk butt is going to get spotted right away an after he stares at it long enough he will figure out its a fake an get sketchy...best thing to do (assuming no 2nd chance of shot) is to shoot him while he trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with that brush/elk butt...the longer you wait on the shot the more likely hes gone burst (this is once hes seen ya)....at that distance im sure he could jump the string abit but hopefully he isnt that spooked yet

Hope that makes sense lol basically once he spotted ya it really cuts down the odds of another shot oppertunity so il take what i can get

Offline elkmtngear

• Pilgrim
  • "I Love Nature...It's Tasty"!
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »
Since I shoot fingers/bare bow...29 yds is a little too far for me to take that shot.  20 yds would be probably my max for the frontal...but it is a deadly shot when executed correctly. 

Of course, it's situational.  If the bull was on edge or appeared high strung...no way.  If he was relaxed and I was at full draw under 20 yds...I'd take him.

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
As a fairly inexperienced archery elk hunter, I'd like to know why some of you wouldn't take the shot. Anatomy of the elk? Worried about hitting the front leg bone and deflecting? Trying to punch through the brisket?

I'd take the shot at 29 yards...but maybe I shouldn't  :chuckle:

I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »
Some never take a frontal shot in archery because of the relatively small area you have for a vital hit. The sternum and legs crowd the shot. In the opinion of some, a flat broadside or slightly quartering away shot are the most ethical. This is an ongoing discussion on this forum.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:59 AM »
pianoman9701 summed it up pretty well.  The frontal or quartering towards you shot can be and is deadly, but, the sight window is much smaller than a quartering away or broadside shot.  I've posted this before but here is an Outdoor Life article by Aron Snyder that is well worth reading.  Make sure you advance the page to the actual "shot placement" photos.  kckrawler, I think you just hit the shoulder bone  ;)  Think "shirt pocket".   

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/live-hunt/2011/07/bowhunting-tips-when-take-frontal-shot
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:12:21 AM by Phantom16 »
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
Kc....

In regards to your spot.....and please feel free to correct me as this is a learning thread, not a bashing....

I'd push the shot to the right a bit. I would be trying for the heart or just above the heart to hit the section of connecting vessels. A bit back there was a post about a kid that front hit an elk and it bled out like a faucet and fell right on its face. I think your shot choice could result in hitting bone and glancing left and taking out some meat and only wounding the animal.

Offline D-Rock425

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
I guess have to shoot was the wrong choice of words.  If I had to pick a spot I think that would be your best option. The only thing that would make this a have to shoot is if that elk already had an arrow in it and this was a follow up shot.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
I guess have to shoot was the wrong choice of words.  If I had to pick a spot I think that would be your best option. The only thing that would make this a have to shoot is if that elk already had an arrow in it and this was a follow up shot.
No shot for me unless like D-Rock says it is already hit and standing in front of me then I get another one in it any way possible.

By your description of the situation my guess is soon he turns back to his left and walks away giving you a better shot. Maybe he turns right to check out whatever has his curiosity but either way there is a better shot to be had.

If you take this shot and wound him you will be sick to your stomach for not waiting on a better shot.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
I think your shot choice could result in hitting bone and glancing left and taking out some meat and only wounding the animal.

Yeah, I agree that this shot could end up hitting a leg bone and deflecting causing an ugly gut shot. May be too sketchy of a shot to take it...wait for him to turn a bit.
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »

:yeah:  Perfect answer.  Thank you for replying.  That situation could definitely call for the frontal shot and is a good reason to know at which spot to aim.

This exchange of knowledge is great for making me think. And great for reiterating, in a practical and a virtual experience way, what to do and not to do.  Phantom, karma is real; you should be expecting to notch your tag in September and tie it to a nice 350 bull.

Offline elkmtngear

• Pilgrim
  • "I Love Nature...It's Tasty"!
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
Here's another link to my own blog site...some pretty good diagrams and a reference video inlcuded:

http://elkmtngear.com/blog/the-frontal-shot-bad-mistake-or-great-opportunity.html

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal