collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: westside elk vs blacktail  (Read 5473 times)

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
westside elk vs blacktail
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:18:26 AM »
What are some of the differences between hunting westside elk and blacktail?

This will be my second year elk and deer hunting the westside.

Last year I scouted and hunted an area--I saw a herd of elk during scouting, followed them, saw observed the mess they made in the woods, and returned to that GMU to hunt.  Really cool to be within 50 yards of a herd and listen to all the racket they make while moving through the woods.

I kept working the entire area, finding more trails, older sign, newer sign, but never encountered the herd again (which is common, I'm learning). 

I did run into a bull on the road which quickly evacuated into the woods, and later I spooked a cow that was bedded down.

I did get my deer last year on day three, after working the same area (different than elk GMU) and seeing animals every day--it was just matter of picking a spot intercepting them if they moved through.

So with elk, since they can be anywhere in these thick woods, is a good strategy just to keep moving until you find them?  I've read that they can travel miles everyday, be in one county today, and the next county tomorrow.  When I hunt I typically hike 10-15 miles / day.

Thanks for sharing any input.

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: westside elk vs blacktail
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
Sounds like your on your way. Keep learning the way you are.  :tup:

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
Deer will tend to be home bodies, sticking to thier core area where they know escape routes and are safe. Also, it's a lot easier for them to disapear in the thick stuff. Like you said, elk make a mess, and you can easily see where they have been. Problem is, the will do some traveling, especially when bullets start flying. If they think they are safe they might hang out, but like you said they have no problem heading to the next county!
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
My theory based upon my spooking of elk, is that they'll move out of the area but will return in a couple days. They're in that area because they feel safe and at home, and unless the pressure is really heavy, they'll usually return. Just my thoughts though.

But if you've seen elk and lots of sign, I'd go back to your area and work on not bumping them out. Get back to the fundamentals and fool their senses.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:51 AM »
   :yeah: All good info ....I've seen elk in one spot numerous times over a 3 week period...if they have a spot they like and are left alone they will stay there but if they are spooked they could run for miles till they feel safe

Blacktail stay in their 'home" area like stated before they know that area well....but come the rut find the does close by and you will find the bucks....they could travel quite a ways from their home turf looking for does..I have a spot that is loaded with does and over the summer I see a few different bucks but come towards the end of Oct bucks show up from all over....I seen 19 bucks the last week of the season
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
right now I'm scouting areas--covering lots of ground moreso than being sneaky--and looking for trails, sheds, beds, anything that says "elk".

I'd think elk would run far away from pressure and traffic, but then again I spook some bedded down last year no more than 40-50 yards off the road...and that area was littered with torn up ground and carpet bombed with poop.

That's the thing with the westside it seems--the elk could and would travel far away, but there's so much cover everywhere I'd like to think they would stick close and just go deeper into the nasty stuff.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
With so many roads on the westside its hard to go steep and deep...they tend to stay where they don't get harassed...that could be 50 yds off the road all season or 500yds off the road....I bumped a herd 3 times in 4 days from the same spot 75 yds off the road last year

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »
Wind in your face or crossing, steep and deep and thick=bull down. There's a ton of other info out there but stick with those basics and it will happen. Good luck!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
With so many roads on the westside its hard to go steep and deep...they tend to stay where they don't get harassed...that could be 50 yds off the road all season or 500yds off the road....I bumped a herd 3 times in 4 days from the same spot 75 yds off the road last year

Yep, a classic westside mistake is to go too far too early. With the amount of roads over here you can often leave the truck in prime elk country.

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
2 years in a row I spooked elk on the way into my stand, I shot both of those bulls just hours later that same day. I guess it would really depend how bad you spook them. From my experience on the wetside they have enough cover to where they can feel safe without crossing county lines. Over the past 3 years of trail cam use it has also been my expierence that wetside elk tend not to travel too far. At least in my area they don't. They also seem to prefer the doghair reprod. One of those bulls made p&y and was less than 200 yards from the road I parked on.
Team nubby!

Offline Johnb317

• johnb317
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »
Dog hair reprod?   :dunno:
Old enough to know better.
Young enough to go for it.

Offline washelkhntr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »

Hell on earth!
"Once a Chief, always a Chief. Retired and Proud."

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »

Hell on earth!

Talk about an understatement   :chuckle: ...its the crap that's so thick you don't have room to draw your bow back

Offline kingpin

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »
From what I have seen it really depends on the herd you are on. They each have their habits. Some RUN and some will hunker down after 100 yd multiple times a day before blowing out. Just get in there and learn how they react. If you put the time in early enough and they do move out for a while they will be back before the seasons get going. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal