collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reporting bear baiting  (Read 30082 times)

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Reporting bear baiting
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »
We should just let karma take care of what we know others are doing that doesn't impact us personally. I know everyone ,and that includes me, that has done things that they know wasn't exactly in the letter of the law. I regret my actions of my youth in these matters but through maturing and reading of our hunting hero's of past years, such as  T.R. who slaughtered all manner of game without any limits or game laws, that I became a totally law abiding sportsman.I know that in other states many of our banned methods of hunting here are allowed but I will not break those laws because it IS OUR LAW'S. and that is the contract that I signed when I paid for that hunting license. Our country has many laws that we  find incomprehensible but if I were to go down the path of lawlessness it will have to be over some law that restricts a more basic human right than the right of how we lure an animal to be taken for sport or food.http://hunting-washington.com/smf/Smileys/default/twocents.gif

Well said!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
We should just let karma take care of what we know others are doing that doesn't impact us personally. I know everyone ,and that includes me, that has done things that they know wasn't exactly in the letter of the law. I regret my actions of my youth in these matters but through maturing and reading of our hunting hero's of past years, such as  T.R. who slaughtered all manner of game without any limits or game laws, that I became a totally law abiding sportsman.I know that in other states many of our banned methods of hunting here are allowed but I will not break those laws because it IS OUR LAW'S. and that is the contract that I signed when I paid for that hunting license. Our country has many laws that we  find incomprehensible but if I were to go down the path of lawlessness it will have to be over some law that restricts a more basic human right than the right of how we lure an animal to be taken for sport or food.http://hunting-washington.com/smf/Smileys/default/twocents.gif
Well said.  I like to worry about myself and not others business.  I dont hunt for points or to police the world.  I dont call 911 when I see some dude on side of road taking a leak either. Karma I believe in.  Unless I see something serious I keep to myself mostly. :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
:yeah:He can put it into words much better than me!

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
Problem with this thread, is many will laugh about what is legal or not..

But the fact remains, if you bait illegally, you are taking away AND taking advantage from those who hunt legally and ethically for bears. Rationalizing what YOU feel should be right, and breaking the laws to fit your views, wether you bait illegally or just condone it, hurts the rest of us. Back in the 80's, I held several meetings with members of the the game department and members of the state hound association to help mend the problems between hound and bait hunters...I worked closely with the department to battle poaching for the sake of the gall sales..people were prosecuted for it..yes, I take illegal advantage seriously! That's my  view on it, some out there may not agree...Do I agree with the ban? Absolutely not, but the law is what it is..many laws out there I don't agree with, but I still obey them, and fight to change them. Do you?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:04:19 PM by mountainman »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
Wouldn't matter what I posted Dewey, your never to far behind. Sometimes I wonder if "Viewing BiggerHammer's Profile" isn't set in you favorites. :tup:  :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »

But the fact remains, if you bait illegally, you are taking away AND taking advantage from those who hunt legally and ethically for bears. Rationalizing what YOU feel should be right, and breaking the laws to fit your views, wether you bait illegally or just condone it, hurts the rest of us. Back in the 80's, I held several meetings with members of the the game department and members of the state hound association to help mend the problems between hound and bait hunters...I worked closely with the department to battle poaching for the sake of the gall sales..people were prosecuted for it..yes, I take illegal advantage seriously! That's my ethical view on it, some out there may not agree...Do I agree with the ban? Absolutely not, but the law is what it is..many laws out there I don't agree with, but I still obey them, and fight to change them. Do you?
Please, rant on...

Everything you say about legality is true, and stands on it's own just fine.
I don't agree with the ethics though as it's far easier to not shoot that sow with cubs in tow if you're in a tree watching them at a bait station.

So how much does legality play a role in ethics?   

It really chaps my rear that timber companies can slaughter bear by the 1000's off bait using hired exterminators. 

I just can't buy into any anti-baiting arguments other than it's illegal and that's that. 

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »

But the fact remains, if you bait illegally, you are taking away AND taking advantage from those who hunt legally and ethically for bears. Rationalizing what YOU feel should be right, and breaking the laws to fit your views, wether you bait illegally or just condone it, hurts the rest of us. Back in the 80's, I held several meetings with members of the the game department and members of the state hound association to help mend the problems between hound and bait hunters...I worked closely with the department to battle poaching for the sake of the gall sales..people were prosecuted for it..yes, I take illegal advantage seriously! That's my ethical view on it, some out there may not agree...Do I agree with the ban? Absolutely not, but the law is what it is..many laws out there I don't agree with, but I still obey them, and fight to change them. Do you?
Please, rant on...

Everything you say about legality is true, and stands on it's own just fine.
I don't agree with the ethics though as it's far easier to not shoot that sow with cubs in tow if you're in a tree watching them at a bait station.

So how much does legality play a role in ethics?   

It really chaps my rear that timber companies can slaughter bear by the 1000's off bait using hired exterminators. 

I just can't buy into any anti-baiting arguments other than it's illegal and that's that.
:yeah: I'm not sure if this is an ethics issue per se since baiting is legal in many places and is viewed as an ethical form of hunting. I view this strictly as a legal issue.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline MisplacedAlaskan

• Hunter
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
For those of you who would turn in a person baiting or a site, how far can the law go before you decide to break it? If voters decided to make all hunting in this state illegal, would you poach? Is anyone familiar with the Milgram Experiment? 65% of participants delivered a lethal shock to a unseen victim because they were told to by an authoritative figure. They started out with a minor shock and worked their way up to the lethal shock. Maybe the bear baiting is similar to one of the initial minor shocks, but hopefully some or all of you would begin to question/disobey at some point....Statistics say that 65% of us wouldn't....

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
The problem as hunters, we don't work together to get these bad laws overturned.  The anti's use your own videos you post on Youtube or videos sold against hunters as a whole.  They spin the advertisements as such, that every animal suffers by the hands of hunter.  These laws that continue to restrict how we harvest animals, where we can harvest animals, keeps changing.  PETA, conservation NW and other groups ultimate goal is to take hunters out of the picture to allow nature to take it's place.  The wolves will replace hunters as intended.  As long as all hunters continue to follow all the new rules set and amended each year.  The anti's will continue to win year after year.  The only ones they don't seem to go after are the NA.  This might be, because they keep fighting for their rights and gaining more rights.  They have continued to challenge everything with law suites.  What are hunters doing as a whole other than taking to forums and complaining about it.  WDFW seems more content on working to appease the antes and NA groups from my perspective in this state.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
The problem as hunters, we don't work together to get these bad laws overturned.  The anti's use your own videos you post on Youtube or videos sold against hunters as a whole.  They spin the advertisements as such, that every animal suffers by the hands of hunter.  These laws that continue to restrict how we harvest animals, where we can harvest animals, keeps changing.  PETA, conservation NW and other groups ultimate goal is to take hunters out of the picture to allow nature to take it's place.  The wolves will replace hunters as intended.  As long as all hunters continue to follow all the new rules set and amended each year.  The anti's will continue to win year after year.  The only ones they don't seem to go after are the NA.  This might be, because they keep fighting for their rights and gaining more rights.  They have continued to challenge everything with law suites.  What are hunters doing as a whole other than taking to forums and complaining about it.  WDFW seems more content on working to appease the antes and NA groups from my perspective in this state.

Well said..

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
The problem as hunters, we don't work together to get these bad laws overturned.  The anti's use your own videos you post on Youtube or videos sold against hunters as a whole.  They spin the advertisements as such, that every animal suffers by the hands of hunter.  These laws that continue to restrict how we harvest animals, where we can harvest animals, keeps changing.  PETA, conservation NW and other groups ultimate goal is to take hunters out of the picture to allow nature to take it's place.  The wolves will replace hunters as intended.  As long as all hunters continue to follow all the new rules set and amended each year.  The anti's will continue to win year after year.  The only ones they don't seem to go after are the NA.  This might be, because they keep fighting for their rights and gaining more rights.  They have continued to challenge everything with law suites.  What are hunters doing as a whole other than taking to forums and complaining

about it.  WDFW seems more content on working to appease the antes and NA groups from my perspective in this state.

Well said..

Is that your answer to everything?

Some hold bear in high regard, methinks they're the same as cohorts and should be treated as such....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:37:06 AM by grundy53 »
Tod Riechert fan club.

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »
Article several years ago of a" hunter" baiting his property up Cub Creek in the Methow. He shot a bear on it, and took many photos..the portrail in the media did nothing to bolster hunters as a whole, image..and when baiting was legal, to many slobs left garbage and buckets everywhere...and we wonder why we lost that fight?

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
Means nothing! You can bet most, if not all of the people that voted the " No Hounds or bait" deal in. Have never seen a bait pile, let alone a bucket in the woods. :tup: it was all sold on a false portrayal of "Unfair advantage". If the the two issues would have been separated "Hounds" / "Bait" the outcome would have been different guaranteed. The hounds were the deciding issue in the eye's of the majority of bunny squeezing, leaf licking, *censored*. ;)   Then again it really doesn't matter to them , hunting is hunting to them. No matter the form and they will portray any of it in a poor fashion to meet their agenda.

*censored*. When I start a "Anti- Soybean" campaign and they cater to me. Then I may remotely consider even entertaining a opinion from their direction. Who cares how the Anti's portray anything. If your worrying about their portrayal of hunting, well that's just time wasted and time you will never get back. Walk on egg shells in fear of their opinion if you must, I'll pass on the taking of a knee for the left.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:50:03 PM by bearpaw »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »
Hmmmmmm take a "Anti" Dewey and and show them a picture of a bear standing at a bait pile. Then show them a picture of a good "Strike dog" at work, along with the "Ground & Pound" after the shot. Which do you think is going to make them cringe and puke up their Soy milk?

But then again, their against it ALL.

Very civil replies . Not a attack at all, portray it as you please. I haven't taken offense. :dunno: then again, I don't play the victim.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:15:41 PM by Biggerhammer »

Offline gomerbull

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Eyes in the woods
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
Bear baiting does not bother me, it should be legal!  Anti's got that law passed not hunters.  I wouldn't call anyone.
:tup: :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU