collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yakima Training Center  (Read 9898 times)

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Yakima Training Center
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Anybody been in there lately? I'm considering trying for a cow there sometime soon but it's been a few years since my last time. Are there any new restrictions? Is it closed down for fire hazard? I have a new rifle now, can I still register it and hunt with it immediately? Any input would be great.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Yakima Training Center
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
Did you draw a permit? There is no general season for elk in that unit.

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:07:06 PM »
Master hunters can shoot cows in there without a permit but that's it. I have a bull tag and as far as I know it's not shut down but I'm not sure on what units are open right now. You can register and hunt same day but I'd recommend not taking your rifle with you to register as they can search your rig and having a gun out there without a permit could get you in trouble

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »
No permit, just want to hunt cows on the master hunter hunt. I've done it before but it's been 4-5 years. Last time I hunted in there you didn't have to pay for access.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »
Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was open for master hunters, and even if I did, I didn't know you were one! Good luck. I do know there is, or was, a fire in there somewhere.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
There was a decent sized fire in the northeast corner. It's 10 dollars for a rec card. Just go to the gym to get it. No video to watch anymore.

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 02:15:15 AM »
We hit it hard for a few days in 2011 and had trouble finding deer. No one mentioned anything about elk. Might be different this year but I would try every other place first.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:13:31 AM »
I know the elk can be very hard to find. I just like the experience of being out there, it's a cool place if you like sagebrush country like me.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »
There have been fires on the unit but none are active. As of yesterday all training areas were open except 11 and 12. It can change daily.

Right now you will not find many elk on the center. They do tend to wander on and off around the edges during the summer but there are few resident elk.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »
Thanks. Is anybody sure about the rifle situation? Will there be any trouble if I show up with my new rifle for a 3 day weekend? Do you have to pre register?

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
I drew a ML permit a few years ago. Had to register it with the center police, check in everytime at the front gate then check in and out with the range master, had to show him all documents and sign in what units I would be hunting and have a hunters orange vest. No vest no entry. When I harvested my deer I had to go to another building and fill out the harvest data.  Cool thing that day was a father and daughter both got nice 6 pt bulls together.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
Thanks. Is anybody sure about the rifle situation? Will there be any trouble if I show up with my new rifle for a 3 day weekend? Do you have to pre register?
Any firearm you wish to take on the center must be registered with YTC police. They are open 24x7.  If you show up opening day without pre registration you will lose valuable time.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
You can take your rifle the first day you are there just tell them you need to register it, takes 20 min.  You will read a slide show binder at the gym and pay $15 (unless you are military).  You no longer go to range control to check in.  When you first get to the gate and tell them you are hunting they take you to the guard shack and you pick your units and go... In my opinion it's not as much of a pain to hunt as it used to be.  However, the elk are few and far between.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
Thanks for all the input, now I just need a little luck!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Its ten dollars to get your rec card.  You need to pre-register your weapons annually.  Also, just an fyi, there is a ton of training on the schedule this fall so a lof of units will be getting shut down.  They are wanting to keep vehicle travel off of the burned areas so no training in those areas means they will be using unburned areas to train.  Good luck, elk can be hard to find out there but there are always a few to be had.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal