collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: best ammo savageŽ Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Bolt-Action Rifle  (Read 25240 times)

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
 :hello: what is the best ammo for .308 win SavageŽ Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Bolt-Action Rifle?
I'll be getting my first gun this September! And I found the perfect one but I don't really know much about the bullets I know how many grains but I don't know :dunno: what company or whatever to get. By the way this is for just going to the shooting range but it would be nice to know what bullets to use when going white tail hunting too.
thanks for your answers! :tup:
also there is a 75$ rebate going on for savage arms rifles go to savage arms.com or cabela's.com
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:48:55 PM by police women of America »
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: best ammo savageŽ Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Bolt-Action Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
What I would do is go get a variety of ammo, preferably with quality bullets and see what groups the best and go with that.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
What caliber ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
What caliber ?
a .308 win.

[/quote]
What I would do is go get a variety of ammo, preferably with quality bullets and see what groups the best and go with that.

thanks! :tup:
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
All of my savages have loved Winchester Super X.  I have never shot the .308, but my .270's, and .243's love the stuff.  The round has proven to be very effective, accurate and best of all.....AFFORDABLE.   :tup:

Offline bknilvr00

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
I have the savage 111 in 30-06 lefty.... I prefer the hornady sst's i think they are. Chances are the gun will chew up and spit out anything you feed it though. At least mine does.

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
I get awesome groups from my .243 axis with Barnes ttsx also believe it or not the Hornady Custom lite with SSTs were under an inch
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
Hornady, Barnes, HSM, Federal all make good ammo. Your new gun might not like some, but, I'd say Hornady. I say that because, you can buy it anyplace, good reputation and fairly reasonably priced. I shoot Remington handloads in my Model 10 308, but it's for long range shooting only. I shoot Hornady in my 6.5 Creedmoor and that gun is a model 16 and it shoots fine
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »

:yeah:

My Savage 11 in .308 shot 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts pretty well.  The only thing I'd say differently from the above quoted is...

If you are just shooting paper find some inexpensive FMJs that shoot well.  If you want to hunt whitetails, go ahead and start with inexpensive hunting ammo (Remington Core-Lokts, Hornady American Whitetail, or such).  You don't need to shoot Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition to kill a whitetail. 
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
 :yeah:
thanks for all your answers! :tup:
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
All of my savages have loved Winchester Super X.  I have never shot the .308, but my .270's, and .243's love the stuff.  The round has proven to be very effective, accurate and best of all.....AFFORDABLE.   :tup:

:yeah:  That would be my choice, and in the 308, I'd go with 150 grain.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
168 grain fedral premium tbc
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline tfeasel1

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
Hi all😊I'm new to here but wanted to trade load info on savage m11 308. I did upgrade my optics to Nikon coyote but other than that it's stock.. a good hand load I've came up with is hornady 168 gr ELD match #30506, 44 gr BL-C(2), Hornady and Remington cases, CCI #200 LR primers set to OAL of 2.80 00. It's already sub MOA, I think I can get tighter prints yet.. Im trying some this weekend with same setup but instead of the hornady 168 I used Sierra match 178 gr bthp... I will post target results when comparison is done... hope this helps someone and hope someone else has a formula they really like and share :) happy shooting!!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
Deer or elk?

For elk, I would go with either Barnes tsx, ttsx, or Nosler Partition unless money was super tight and then go buy a box of core-lokt.

For deer, you could use the same above bullets or a more deer specific bullet like the Nosler ballistic tip if you wanted to go through the trouble of finding a second bullet or only hunt deer.

Offline tfeasel1

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Savage m11 has 22" 1/10 twist... what this translates to is you will have better accuracy in the 170-200grain bullet area... 200 May be pushing it to far... I would start with 175 gr bthp with varget and cci#200 primers or bl-c (2) with magnum primers... you can run lighter grain bullets with success you will just have to drive them alot harder to keep them stable.. another thing you REALLY need to do is follow the savage barrel lap in steps... use cheap off the shelf ammo while doing this and as you get deeper into the lap in, you will notice your groups tgetting tighter and tighter... stay at about 50 yards during this process.. if anyone tells you that you you don't need to break in a savage barrel is unfamiliar with the very roughly lapped in barrel out of the box... some rifles you don't need to break in but the m11/111 you will be glad you did.. don't over heat the barrel... if you follow the savage break in steps you won't overheat the barel... 1) fire 1 round, run bore cleaner through, brush 2 times dry swap, run copper solvent through, brush twice, dry swab then swab with a few drops of oil.. repeat 10 times then move up to 3 shots, repeating all the same steps after 3 shots and repeat 5 times, them fire five shots, follow all the cleaning steps and repeat 5 times... by the time you are done you will have a tack driver... I know it sounds like alot of work but it pays off and just having the feeling of pride that you did it right

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal