collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Late Hunt  (Read 1803 times)

Offline 300UltraMagShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
My Late Hunt
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
Well today the weather finally turned really bad. The it was snowing and the wind was blowing which made it hard to hear, but made for an awesome evening in the woods. The last fifteen minutes of the day a nice 4 X 4 comes my way.

He is really nervous and this is where things turn for the worse. Since he is nervous, I decide to take the first good shot. I should have waited. He walks behind a tree, giving me a chance to draw. When he walks out, he turns directly away from me and just stands there at 20 yards. This is where I confirm that I am a mental midget. Instead of waiting for him to turn broadside, I take the full away shot because I couldn't control my thoughts. He ducks a little and my arrow hits high. It forwarded up, but I am not sure if it hit the vitals. I wait 10 minutes when all of a sudden a deer blows directly behind me. I look and it is a monster buck looking in the direction that my deer had ran. I am not sure if he is blowing at me, or perhaps, my deer. Blasted! I knew the moment that I shoot a decent buck, a monster would come by. When I got down to look for sign, just as I thought; there was hardly any blood. I followed his track for about 50 yards to check and see if he started bleeding. No luck. I back out and I am waiting til the next day with little more than a prayer that I didn't totally screw up.

FYI
I have hunted hard on state land for the last two weeks and these where the first deer that I have seen while on stand except for one solitary doe I had seen sneak off a ridge a few evening ago. The deer have been totally nocturnal up until this weather change.

Suggestions/Advise
Have any of you had any luck finding deer shot like this?  I am really concerned that I killed him, but will not be able to find him because of the high entrance and exit wounds.  The arrow entered just behind the shoulder blades right on top of his back and I believe exited somewhere around the base of his neck.  Do you think he is down?  The one good thing is that I am using the slick trick (grizz tricks) which are huge.  Perhaps he is bleeding internally?

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: My Late Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »
Well you should find some blood.  Even if its high you may find it high on brush and not on the ground. You got weather coming so I would try and get on him ASAP.  Good luck.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: My Late Hunt
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
If you didnt push him you could have a chance.  Take your time when you go back in.  Just  be careful and look it over. Wont be heavy blood but you GOTTA give him the chance.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal