collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winston  (Read 3648 times)

Offline whtbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Winston
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
A few friends having trouble seeing any sign of or seeing Elk.. All the feet fall off them or are they somewhere else? I told them to hunt elsewhere but they wouldn't listen.Any help?

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Winston
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
Hunt elsewhere.  Even with hoof-rot, elk will be in there usual spots with the usual amount of elk sign.  In my travels I've run into many elk with hoofrot, generally (from what I have seen) it just affects one or two of the feet not all four.   

Offline whtbuck

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »
I hear ya, I don't hunt archery and have never been in there this early.Taken more than a few out of there last 25 yrs in November-January. Just trying to help Family that are Already Comitted in there

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »
Had I realized the permit would not allow us access to the high country I would have taken my chances and waited to see if we needed one for late season.  Between hoof rot and all the stupid early cow tags over the recent past the resident lower elevation herds are demolished!  We strictly bought the tag to reach one single square mile (maybe two) of non-weyco land in the high area huckleberries.  Then find out that area does not have access unless you want to walk 12-15 miles up hill and then pack your elk out the 12-15 miles.  Maybe in my youth, but not a possibility these days :bash:

I do not see us hunting elk on the westside in the future.  We will put in for tags (probably on the east side) and if not drawn head for Oregon or Idaho.  Perhaps that is the state's master plan :dunno: 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:06:45 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline dewandgin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
Had I realized the permit would not allow us access to the high country I would have taken my chances and waited to see if we needed one for late season.  Between hoof rot and all the stupid early cow tags over the recent past the resident lower elevation herds are demolished!  We strictly bought the tag to reach one single square mile (maybe two) of non-weyco land in the high area huckleberries.  Then find out that area does not have access unless you want to walk 12-15 miles up hill and then pack your elk out the 12-15 miles.  Maybe in my youth, but not a possibility these days :bash:

I do not see us hunting elk on the westside in the future.  We will put in for tags (probably on the east side) and if not drawn head for Oregon or Idaho.  Perhaps that is the state's master plan :dunno:
Change the state to Idaho and Wyoming and that is what i am doing just have 14 points in bull elk and when they are gone so am I!

From the Wetside. like the darkside only Wetter!

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Trying to convince myself to hunt in wa next year and I'm having a difficult time justifying it as well. As for the Winston if they do run into some elk don't leave them  :twocents:

Offline elktracker96

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
hope you all get out be little less traffic  :chuckle: :yeah: :twocents: thanks 

Online Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
So some of the gates ate closed in there?  Find some sign and hit the creek bottoms near it.  The last 4 years of cow tags took there toll on the two units. 

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
The 2013 200 cow rifle tags in there were a joke.  The year before just drive in and shoot one.  They did another 200 for later in the year and I think the muzzy and archery guys got a few hundred too.  My grandfather was so mad last year with the cow rifle tag.  He didn't see a single elk. He said they couldn't pay him to hunt it again.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:14 PM »
hope you all get out be little less traffic  :chuckle: :yeah: :twocents: thanks

We are. You can have all the diseased elk you want.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal