collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »
It was a good morning to shoot and I needed the rec time. So, I grabbed the White Whitetail, 451 G Series... It was kinda a change of pace from what I have been shooting and really thought it would be fun to step back a bit...

Still do not feel comfortable shooting at the Farm... the wheat has been harvested but the stubble has not been plowed and we are tender dry around here.  Terry was checking on her phone last night around 7:00 pm and the humidity was only 17%! Not much chance of moisture with that...

I was also a bit concerned that someone else might be shooting in the Pit, we are nearing hunting season here and the Pit is a popular place to sight-in this time of year.  I was fortunate when I got there no-one-home, so I was able to set everything up and spend a couple hours just plinking.

We have all heard how well Whites shoot large lead conicals, but I would submit to you-all that every White that I have shot will shoot a sabot just as well as it does the full bore conicals.

I setup 6 birds on the wall for the first set.  I can not remember the last time that I shot this rifle so I wasn't sure what to expect other than in my mind - I felt very confident it would be ready to go.  I popped 3 caps to get a little bit of fouling in the bore and to make sure the #11 nipple was clear.  For those that might not know. Doc White designed this breech plug with the nipple built into the BP.  This really does help ignition as the powder sits right on the bottom of the nipple.  Not a lot of wasted heat transfer heating metal before the hot gas is in and on the powder.

I set two different sets of birds out and really had a great relaxing time picking them off....

Not very exciting for many but really fun for me... here is a picture of todays happening...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal