collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking to start hunting in the desert unit/potholes area. need some help.  (Read 7007 times)

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
hey fellas, I am looking to start hunting the potholes/desert unit for waterfowl/upland birds. I am not new to duck hunting but have always wanted to start learning that area and I am now able to do so.

So... would you guys that know the area guide me in the right direction to start. Not looking for your special spots just need to know where to start as its a massive area! I have a dog, dekes the whole deal. I will be on foot quite a bit but have a buddy with a 14 foot duck boat.  Any help is appreciated... PM me if you want some privacy. thanks guys.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Launch or hike in from job corp dike,on south frontage road a lil ways west of moses lake

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
If there's a flock over the 2 hole at the golf course feel free to take a shot for me  :chuckle: j/k of course
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
As far as upland birds, you can get a map of all the release areas in Grant and Adams county, ducks, take a pick at the lakes/creeks in the area. It gets crowded over here, so preplan
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Google maps is a good start. Not having a boat is not that big of a deal just have a good set of chest waders. Make sure if you hunt alone that you have your cell phone in a waterproof bag. Read the waterfowl regs and mine the hunting areas from that, also the WDF website on quality hunts and hunting areas.

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
If there's a flock over the 2 hole at the golf course feel free to take a shot for me  :chuckle: j/k of course

Do you have a spot on the golf course? Which space?
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
As far as upland birds, you can get a map of all the release areas in Grant and Adams county, ducks, take a pick at the lakes/creeks in the area. It gets crowded over here, so preplan

I'd like wild birds preferably. quail also.

Yeah im going over the google earth and hunt wa property I have for google earth. its a nice feature. I want to learn the area well so I can get a good mixed bag of waterfowl and upland birds in a weekend.
"real dogs have beards"

Online metlhead

• Sourdough
For a number of years, I hunted the desert unit for pheasant and quail, and did suprisingly well. Take the main 7 road towards mardon and about five miles before you get there turn north on the C se road. It'll take you to a parking area. Cross the creek at the bridge, go through the olives, and hunt all you want.  Do bring a compass or gps, you will get lost, especially if fog settles in. Bring some hip boots in a backpack to get to islands where most birds will eventually end up for security.  A six pack of teal or mallard decoys and you are set for first light shoots. 00 buck or the .22 mag. pistol for yodelers, it doesn't get more fulfilling.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
For a number of years, I hunted the desert unit for pheasant and quail, and did suprisingly well. Take the main 7 road towards mardon and about five miles before you get there turn north on the C se road. It'll take you to a parking area. Cross the creek at the bridge, go through the olives, and hunt all you want.  Do bring a compass or gps, you will get lost, especially if fog settles in. Bring some hip boots in a backpack to get to islands where most birds will eventually end up for security.  A six pack of teal or mallard decoys and you are set for first light shoots. 00 buck or the .22 mag. pistol for yodelers, it doesn't get more fulfilling.
Excellent! Thanks for the tips!
"real dogs have beards"

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife

Do you have a spot on the golf course? Which space?
no, the monster inlaws have a house on the 2nd hole
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
Re: looking to start hunting in the desert unit/potholes area. need some help.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »
Let me preface with this - I haved lived in the moses lake area my entire life.

It gets crowded over here.  Be prepared for that.  Research the reserves.  Theres no hunting/weapons or dogs allowed in these areas.

Launch or hike in from job corp dike,on south frontage road a lil ways west of moses lake

Last winter wdfw added additional signage at the job corp dike road.  They included the road within winchester reservre.  Meaning you cant be on the road with a weapon.  You can't launch your hunting boat off the dike road now either.  :dunno:

A 14ft boat is a little small on the main body of potholes.  Maybe focus on the smaller lakes in the columbia wildlife refuge.  They drain Moses Lake to fill potholes in the/fall winter.  Your "spot" one weekend might be under water the next weekend.  Same for your path out to your spot.   Google earth isn't very accurate when trying to guage where the water is.  Potholes is lowest this time of year as it drains all summer to feed irrigation canals. 

People get lost EVERY year. Bring a gps.  Seriously whether hiking or boating in the north potholes area.

Sorry for rambling.  Come out and have fun, oh and one last thing-don't come out if you're a jack wagon skybuster.  Lord knows we have enough of that already. 

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
Let me preface with this - I haved lived in the moses lake area my entire life.

It gets crowded over here.  Be prepared for that.  Research the reserves.  Theres no hunting/weapons or dogs allowed in these areas.

Last winter wdfw added additional signage at the job corp dike road.  They included the road within winchester reservre.  Meaning you cant be on the road with a weapon.  You can't launch your hunting boat off the dike road now either.  :dunno:

A 14ft boat is a little small on the main body of potholes.  Maybe focus on the smaller lakes in the columbia wildlife refuge.  They drain Moses Lake to fill potholes in the/fall winter.  Your "spot" one weekend might be under water the next weekend.  Same for your path out to your spot.   Google earth isn't very accurate when trying to guage where the water is.  Potholes is lowest this time of year as it drains all summer to feed irrigation canals. 

People get lost EVERY year. Bring a gps.  Seriously whether hiking or boating in the north potholes area.

Sorry for rambling.  Come out and have fun, oh and one last thing-don't come out if you're a jack wagon skybuster.  Lord knows we have enough of that already.

There's a sandy launch spot on the NE corner of Potholes that we have launched from and a couple spots along the job corp dike that we've launched from. Are these no longer open for launching small craft? Explain please.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
Im with you, i used to launch my 14fy boat off the road. It used to be that the winchester reserve signs were on the north side of the road.  Last winter wdfw posted new signs stating "boundary of reserve is 50ft on south side of the road". Meaning I was breaking the law standing on the road with an unloaded shotgun in hand with my dog at my side.

I don't know when things changed, but I don't see how you can legally launch when the launch is now inside the reserve. I did not ask a warden for clarification (no one was present). But the half dozen newly posted signs were all I needed to pack up and leave.

I have not looked up the new definition of the boundary either, but the old definition said the boundary was the job corp dike road.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
nope Im not gonna skybust. Yeah I will be checking out quite a few spots there im sure.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »
So the launching at job corp dike is done?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal