collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's saving fishes this year? 2014 Merganser Count....  (Read 10972 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Who's saving fishes this year? 2014 Merganser Count....
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:42:21 PM »
Had a story, router crashed, don't have it in me to rewrite a long story.

Went down to the beach, had at least 24 Common Merganser swim into 20 yards of me and the dog.  A hen mallard, that I had been chatting with, landed with them.  When four of the Mergs lined up, I pulled the trigger, four birds down, the next shot dropped one, third shot didn't close all the way.  By the time I figured out what was going on I saw the fifth bird swimming out of range.  I tried to line the dog up on him, but she turned and headed for the others after being released (she fetched all four nicely, though I did have to throw a rock past her to get her to look farther for the last one floating out 90-100 yards).  My power dinghy is on the other side of the island, so I had no way to go after the bird.  Fortunately, if dead, there are lots of eagles around right now that need to eat, if just winged, he'll rejoin the flock and I'll get another crack at him later.

As we were getting ready to leave, we saw a pair of birds the other direction where they swam into a little inlet.  We circled around on them and I got a hen Greenwing, but before I could shoot at the other one, she was up, over, and beyond the beach berm.

SO, who else is planning on taking down Mergs this season to help save some salmon, bass, walleye, surfperch, etc.?

I know a lot of you won't shoot them because you think they taste like poo.  I'll post a recipe later for Salsbury Duck that might change your mind if you give it a try.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Who's saving fishes this year? 2014 Merganser Count....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
Used to shoot them, but just don't see them to often anymore.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »
Loki, if i get the chance on them I will join you on eating them. They are fine if cooked properly.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
When they come through the decoys I'll usually take a few.  I also don't see them much.  I add them to my yearly sausage grind when I get some.

Post your recipe and I'll give it a try.  My previous attempt to cook up a Merg like I do other ducks didn't go well.  I'm always open to a new recipe.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
Love shooting them. Hate cleaning them. But make pepperoni with them. Mixed with other ducks geese and elk and you can't tell its in there.
I will shoot all I see.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
I straight stackem up! I have not had a big flock like that come in on me though. I do kill quite a few, but i think they are tough birds. I have knocked several out of the air (taking feathers off in a cloud) they dive when hit the water, then resurface and fly away!  :bash: Ill try and keep a tally this year as to how many i kill.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
Oh yeah, Merg count = 5

Last year, toward the end of the season I saw one flock that had over 300 birds in it.  A few years ago, I counted as a flock swam past the dock, 96.   :yike:

I agree Duckmen1, they are one of the tougher ones to clean (skin), and you would think from their size that they would have more breast meat on them.  The bonus though, is that their  legs are huge.  I do a slow cooked pile of legs with an apple onion curry, better than any buffalo wings I've had.

Salsbury Duck (base recipe is from www.foodnetwork.com)

-1 1/2 lb meat (duck, beef, venison, etc.) ground.  I used the fine grinding plate this time but wil try the more    coarse one next time, it seemed a bit pasty textured but I rarely do this with fresh, still warm duck, soi maybe that's the difference.  I had 1.3 pounds of clean breast meat from the four mergs tonight)
-1/2 c + 2 T seasoned breadcrumbs
-1 T ketchup
-2 t dry mustard
-1/2 t pepper
-1 1/2 t onion powder
-1/2 t garlic powder
-6 dashes worchestershire sauce
-1 cube (crumbled) or 1 t beef boullion, maybe a little extra

Combine all ingredients, mix well.  Form 6 to 8 patties about 1/2 inch thick.  Lay both sides into a shallow dish of flour to lightly coat.  Flour may be seasoned.  I then set this aside until everything else is pretty much ready.  If you like fried onions, get them cooking in olive or canola oil until they just about reach desired brownness.  Scrape to the sides of the pan, add a tablespoon of butter, melt evenly, place patties into oil/butter on medium high heat, fry and flip until done to your tastes.

Easy gravy is thickened Au Jus sauce from a pack, or brown gravy.  Here is the gravy recipe that comes with the "steak" one.

- 1 whole onion, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 cups beef broth
-1 T ketchup
-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 t cornstarch to thicken as desired.
salt and pepper to taste

They say to cook the gravy in the fry pan after you are done with the steaks.  Personally, I like my steak still warm when the gravy is done, so I use a different pan.   :rolleyes:

On medium heat, add onions to a small amount of oil (1 T), cook until golden brown and soft.  Add the stock, ketchup, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper.  Combine corn starch with some extra cold broth or water, less than a quarter cup is fine.  Whisk into hot gravy to thicken, stir constantly, remove from heat when thick.

There you go.  Even my wife, who is sensitive to strong flavored meat, likes this one.  Now to go pull the legs and giblets....   :drool:

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »
I shoot them all the time but not to save fish, I shoot them cuz they're big ducks and taste just as good as any other duck when cooked correctly.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
hmmm  i would shoot a merganser with out thought.... not a big fan of the taste by themselves but as far as mixing them with other birds they tast just fine in a stew
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline Cougar125

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
I'm not this year.  Next year though!

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
I don't get the opportunity to shoot them much, I have shot a few hoodies before but I think I'll give them all a pass from now on. I will shoot most divers except mergs, goldeneye (though I might shoot a barrows if I got the chance), and buffleheads.

By the way, not knocking anyone who shoots them, I just shoot mainly puddle ducks like teal and mallards so that's what I prefer to eat.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
I think we all prefer to eat mallards, or woodies, but some places they just are not as available....  Goldeneye and Scoters taste good with the above recipe as well.

I had 180+ Buffleheads nearby this morning.  I let a few Mergs swim past in hopes of the geese coming by, no luck though.

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
Loki maybe i can take you to the Farm i got private access too, to slay some geese.

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Add this one to the ledger! This bird screamed into my decoys faster than any bird I have ever seen. Thinking this guy is going on the wall!
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »
They are pretty birds.  Had three hen Hooded Mergs swim by but held off hoping for the darn geese.

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
I don't shoot Mergansers any more.
To me... they are just a pain in the ass to clean.
Would rather go home with puddlers... or none at all versus only Mergs.

But, that's just me. Nice Hoodie GrampasGuns.
Yeah Ok, I might do the same thing thing, it'd be cool to mount a couple of those.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
They are pretty birds.  Had three hen Hooded Mergs swim by but held off hoping for the darn geese.
I did the same yesterday on common mergansers holding off waiting on geese.  Unfortunately the geese stayed a bit out there around 50 yards but managed one goose. So I'd say it was worth it. Gonna go out tomorrow and see what's up.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 09:10:44 AM »
Doin our part to save the fishes! :mgun:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »
 :tup:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
Ya it was kinda a slow morning but we put a hurting on the four mergansers. They were flying so fast couldn't keep up on them. I'll shoot better next time.lol

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
Red Breasted Mergansers are the fastest birds recored flying up to a max speed of 100mph.  (found on DUCKS.ORG)

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
We have a sawbill derby every year in the lower columbia. Remember you get double points for hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Props to you guys who take them, I killed one adult male common merg over 20 years ago and still have PTSD from trying to eat it. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 01:04:47 PM »
+4 = 9 for the year.  Focused on the hens.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Oh yeah, Merg count = 5

Last year, toward the end of the season I saw one flock that had over 300 birds in it.  A few years ago, I counted as a flock swam past the dock, 96.   :yike:

I agree Duckmen1, they are one of the tougher ones to clean (skin), and you would think from their size that they would have more breast meat on them.  The bonus though, is that their  legs are huge.  I do a slow cooked pile of legs with an apple onion curry, better than any buffalo wings I've had.

Salsbury Duck (base recipe is from www.foodnetwork.com)

-1 1/2 lb meat (duck, beef, venison, etc.) ground.  I used the fine grinding plate this time but wil try the more    coarse one next time, it seemed a bit pasty textured but I rarely do this with fresh, still warm duck, soi maybe that's the difference.  I had 1.3 pounds of clean breast meat from the four mergs tonight)
-1/2 c + 2 T seasoned breadcrumbs
-1 T ketchup
-2 t dry mustard
-1/2 t pepper
-1 1/2 t onion powder
-1/2 t garlic powder
-6 dashes worchestershire sauce
-1 cube (crumbled) or 1 t beef boullion, maybe a little extra

Combine all ingredients, mix well.  Form 6 to 8 patties about 1/2 inch thick.  Lay both sides into a shallow dish of flour to lightly coat.  Flour may be seasoned.  I then set this aside until everything else is pretty much ready.  If you like fried onions, get them cooking in olive or canola oil until they just about reach desired brownness.  Scrape to the sides of the pan, add a tablespoon of butter, melt evenly, place patties into oil/butter on medium high heat, fry and flip until done to your tastes.

Easy gravy is thickened Au Jus sauce from a pack, or brown gravy.  Here is the gravy recipe that comes with the "steak" one.

- 1 whole onion, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 cups beef broth
-1 T ketchup
-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 t cornstarch to thicken as desired.
salt and pepper to taste

They say to cook the gravy in the fry pan after you are done with the steaks.  Personally, I like my steak still warm when the gravy is done, so I use a different pan.   :rolleyes:

On medium heat, add onions to a small amount of oil (1 T), cook until golden brown and soft.  Add the stock, ketchup, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper.  Combine corn starch with some extra cold broth or water, less than a quarter cup is fine.  Whisk into hot gravy to thicken, stir constantly, remove from heat when thick.

There you go.  Even my wife, who is sensitive to strong flavored meat, likes this one.  Now to go pull the legs and giblets....   :drool:
THAT LOOKS SOOO GOOD ...BUT there is no way they can taste as good as they look  :puke: :puke: :DOH:   Just saying  :brew:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
Well did my part today. Wish I had someone with me to keep up  the slaughter but ended up solo. Left at 9 am to head out hunting. So even got to sleep in.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 03:31:18 PM »
Unfortunatly this one got a last meal before I could get her.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
 :tup:

I pulled what was left of a ten inch spiny ray type fish out of a male down on the Chehalis once.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
WOW a limit of Mergs don see photos of that every day! Im gona have to whack some... I think Chief may healed up enough for some sawbill action now...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
Scratch one more salmon eater:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »
I like the two above him better though.  Nice job!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]