collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let the young bucks walk  (Read 16497 times)

Offline Fishcrazy82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Let the young bucks walk
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
So I guess that saying people should have standards "on our success thread" didn't sit well. My point of view is that all the other states with far better hunting control the numbers of animals killed by using a permit system. So we all both about only seeing small buck and some peoples once in a lifetime bucks that don't really need to be. All it would take is people not to kill the first leagal hair they see. Maybe that tiny 3 point will be that once in a lifetime type buck in a couple years. So maybe you go without a year or two but wouldn't it feel good to look at a big buck once in a while? I know there's gunna be a lot of crying over this but hopefully those of you who agree with me can speak up. Thanks for reading

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
Re: Let the young bucks walk
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
I'd be ok if eastern wa went permit only for deer and elk but that will probably never happen.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
Never happen for general season. There is a 3pt restriction, after that, its a legal buck. To many hunters compared to deer. The rub, pun intented for time of year, is you coming on and basically dicrediting a thread full of bucks that all are proud of. You want to see an increase in bucks.....fine, then the only choice will be to hunt deer every X number of years because a limited draw per unit for hunting rights is the only way. You would have to shut down the entire general season and go all permit. Ain't gonna happen.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
Understand where you are going with this but I would say the majority of hunters out there aren't "trophy" hunters. Of course, most would much rather shoot a masher buck or huge bull but won't hesitate to shoot a legal animal to put meat in their freezer. After all, isn't that the whole point of hunting?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
I agree with this and disagree at the same time.While I try to hold myself for the older buck to say everyone should might not be the best idea for a management standpoint.Now I dont know all the ins and outs of management and how it should really be but I can tell you that in the states like you mention with higher numbers they give out a lot more tags so more are actually harvested than here.that small 3 point wont get more does than that big buck will.Thats why we give permits for the bulls and shoot only the spikes.So in short with deer it is my op. If someone wants to shoot that first buck they see thats fine.The big bucks have the biggest doe populations any way so it works.
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
Deer success is around 15-20% believe so that couple years for most people would be more like 5-7 years.
Letting legal deer walk is the hunters option why condemn them for putting meat on the table?

The only way to change the percent of big bucks harvested would be to go to a permit system.

Why is a sport that is having a hard time holding and recruiting members wanting to shoot itself in the foot by limiting available opportunities?

People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
The only way to change the percent of big bucks harvested would be to go to a permit system
No thanks!   I'll take my chances on if I will see a big buck and harvest it EVERY year.  I will pass on plenty though as suggested. 

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
I can see your concern from someone that has personally passed on small bucks every year. Every year I spend $1,000+ to fly home to Idaho to hunt. I have every reason to shoot the first legal animal with my limited time of 14-21 days to help justify the cost. I tend to eat tag soup because I choose to go for the more mature bucks. However, looking at it from another stand-point.... I don't feel it is fair to limit or control someone else's success because of my personal habits. There are far more people that struggle financially to put food on the table and able to afford the time off of work than those such as myself that would rather shoot the bigger bucks.... To those who struggle more; meat is meat and you can't eat the horns!!! :twocents:

Scott

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
IMO, the sport is having trouble because just like this thread......someone is unhappy with the deer I shoot and want further restrictions. Hello...........Fishcrazy.....we have enough restrictions and don't need any more. I'll be straight up clear and honest...I'll shoot any legal buck I can. I typically get limited time to hunt, don't hunt out of state, and will take what I can get. You want me to skip X number of years simply because YOU don't want me shooting a legal buck that is not big enough? Please. Take a hike.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
I think for every 3pt legal buck that gets taken, one forked horn dies.

How many forked horn bucks have people walked up too and went "oh crap! I thought it was a 3pt" then walk off pretending they didn't find anything....

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
The only way to change the percent of big bucks harvested would be to go to a permit system
No thanks!   I'll take my chances on if I will see a big buck and harvest it EVERY year.  I will pass on plenty though as suggested.

I was going to say that 50+% of big bucks are harvested by the same people year after year.

The quality of animals IMO has a lot to do with where and how you hunt.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Fishcrazy82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
You would always have a place to hunt. People would have to decide where they wanted to hunt and not go east early for a whitetail then back west for a late blacktail.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Its all about optimizing your where and when........after that its results based on effort 99% of the time.

Im with bone..........Ill take my chances how it is.  We dont live in a perfect world and to expect it to be just because of a permit system is wrong.

Wa. cant be compared to any other state.....factor in population and public land and herd sizes and condition.....it varies from ecosystem to ecosystem..........cant paint it all with one brush.

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
 :yeah:
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
Check out that old man in the valley.  He popped another GIANT!   He is 74.   He is obviously using his brains better than his legs.  He has killed two bucks in the last three years that most on here will never see.   REGULAR SEASON.  Why is that?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal