collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves Stalked, Surrounded, and Attacked Stevens County Hunter  (Read 41356 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Wolves Stalked, Surrounded, and Attacked Stevens County Hunter
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:30:47 AM »
This is his account of what happened as told to me by the hunter himself:

Wolves Stalked, Surrounded, and Attacked Stevens County Hunter

Myself, dad, and three other family members were elk hunting near Smackout Pass in GMU 111 Aladdin on the morning of Oct 30. Dad and I separated a hundred yards or so and hunted down a ridge and planned to meet the other family members at the bottom of the ridge.

There was heavy cover and sight distance was limited. As I went through a small opening I spotted a black wolf that was watching me and paralleling me on my left at about 15 yards. I hollered at the wolf and it just kept watching me, and paralleling me, I hollered and waved my arms but it didn't retreat, next I shot over it's head and it finally disappeared. Then another wolf came up from behind on my left and disappeared behind the first wolf. Then I heard something on my right and saw a couple more wolves appear from behind me on the right, I reloaded and backed up 10-15 steps, suddenly I heard another noise behind me and thought it must be dad approaching, I turned around and was faced by another black wolf that was charging straight at me with it's ears laid back, I instinctively pulled up and shot, I hit the wolf hard at about 15 yards and it rolled about 20 feet snarling and biting at it's shoulder, then disappeared into the brush.

I called my other family members with the hand radio I was carrying and warned them about the wolves and that I would meet them in the bottom. As I continued down the ridge I could hear the wolves moving with me about 50 yards away. I met my other family members and as I told them what had happened the wolves all started howling in the brush below us not far away.

I was raised in Idaho and have lived around wolves but this scared the **** out of me worse than anything that has ever happened to me, I have never been that terrified. These wolves had the wind in their face as they approached me from behind, they could smell me and were obviously tracking me as they approached me, I was being hunted by these wolves, they were intent on eating me. Even after shooting at one wolf the other wolf attacked, I am just lucky I heard it coming as it charged.

I called WDFW and reported what happened. At about 11 am the next day several wardens and biologists went with me to the location where the attack occurred. They looked around a bit and found a piece of hide and meat, but a little searching did not produce the wolf and they quit searching.

I guarantee that the situation in Stevens County is far worse than I've seen in Idaho. The elk and moose are disappearing from many areas I hunt, normally I see at least 15 moose every fall, this fall I have not seen a single live moose and the elk numbers are way down too. Something must be done about these wolves soon before somebody gets hurt, the situation in Stevens County and northeast Washington is out of control.

(the hunter wants people to know that these wolves will hunt and attack people but wishes to remain anonymous to avoid harassment by wolf supporters)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Wolves Stalked, Surrounded, and Attacked Stevens County Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:46:26 AM »
Wow,
I am glad nobody got killed...yet.

Thank heavens the guy had fast reflex.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline fastdam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:00:18 AM »
I just cant understand why he didnt shoot more of the wolves when they were all around him. They were clearly aggressive.  He was armed. Why not shoot them all till they were out of sight. Glad he's ok.       Too many people letting wolves walk in my opinion.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 05:03:43 AM »
The hunter followed the law, he only shot the wolf that actually attacked.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:03 AM »
When a persons life is in danger the law becomes secondary.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:09:36 AM »
The attacking wolf was the last wolf that he saw. After that the wolves stayed approx. 50 yards away, out of sight, moving with him until he met his other family members.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:30:21 AM »
It was no surprise to see the bias on the news last night when Larry Chittum reported on that Stampede wolf that was shot
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:52 AM »
Story's like this will continue to pop up.  I'm very glad he wasn't hurt. I hunt that area too.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:19 AM »
Well obviously this hunter must have been old, sick or injured.  The wolves sensed this and were just doing their job.  Who does he think he is, shooting that noble creature that was only attempting to eat him to restore the balance?  These beautiful wolves are ENDANGERED! 

Offline stickman999

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF sustaining member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 06:01:38 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
C'mon guys, you all know that wolves never attack humans.  :rolleyes: I'm glad this didn't turn out worse.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »
It is sad, but I bet things will change faster when the wolves encounter an unarmed person.....your imagination can finish that thought. There is a reason our forefathers removed them.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
It is sad, but I bet things will change faster when the wolves encounter an unarmed person.....your imagination can finish that thought. There is a reason our forefathers removed them.

Even if there were 5 separate incidents of wolves killing people in the next month, in different areas with different packs involved, the majority of wolf supporters would flat out deny, argue, make excuses etc.  They would continue to defend the wolves.  These people are irrational beyond belief.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »

:yeah:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]