collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: sideways pictures  (Read 6223 times)

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
sideways pictures
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:07:09 AM »
Why the heck are so many pictures sideways in people's posts? Is there a way to avoid it, and if so what the heck is the magic trick? Sucks to see a nice picture of an animal or hunting photo's and everything is sideways.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: sideways pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »
They are posting with their phones and don't take the time to rotate the picture before posting.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:53:04 AM »

They are posting with their phones and don't take the time to rotate the picture before posting.

I post pictures with my phone....almost 100% of the pics I post are from my phone...and they don't post sideways and i don't pre-rotate anything ever. Could be a setting on the phone I guess, but I think there's more to it than just not rotating them prior.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »
I've been doing a little digging on this topic today. I've got a few things that could be causing this.
The first thing I found commonly in a few different search results was a concern with the size of the pictures. If they're too big, the program turns the picture so the dimensions work. Not much can be done about this other than taking pictures the right size or resizing them.

I also found this, and maybe this makes more sense.

Why is my picture turned sideways?

by
Scott Tichenor , Oct-07-2013 at 9:34am (11194 Views)

Ever wonder why some images uploaded to the web appear sideways, clearly not as intended? That picture of the instrument you wanted to sell, you were so proud of the photo and it looked great and suddenly it's on the Classifieds or the Forum, or on Facebook or elsewhere and... "wait, that's not right! That's not the way my picture is supposed to look! Who rotated it?"

Here's the problem: it's the web browser. No, not YOUR web browser, web browsers in general. Mine included.

Meet the culprit: EXIF. Exchangeable Image File Format.

That's as geeky as we'll get. EXIF is a standard for storing information in image files... like how the image is supposed to be rotated. Most newer digital cameras and smart phones observe EXIF. Some don't, and when you see images rotated incorrectly it means the photo was taken with a device that doesn't (or someone just had their camera upside down... anything is possible).

To boil this down in simple terms: if you take a photo with a device that doesn't use EXIF, when it gets uploaded to the web and appears in a web document it may not display as intended.

Your old digital camera probably doesn't have it. Your new iPhone or Android does. Open any image and save it in a program like Photoshop and it'll display properly as saved because Photoshop observes EXIF (image orientation).

An almost daily task: I look at the Classifieds and see an image rotated incorrectly. Most times I save the image locally to my personal computer. When it's sitting on the desktop it's already displayed in the fashion it should be because operating systems (PC/Mac) understand orientation. Web browsers pretty much don't. This is how I know the image was taken with a camera that doesn't observe EXIF. I open in Photoshop, save (no rotation), upload it to the existing ad and it now displays correctly. Photoshop embeds EXIF information so it displays as saved.

There are free programs out there that will embed the orientation information (EXIF). I have not personally tried these but don't doubt they work. Picasa, XnView, or FastStone Image Viewer are listed by about.com as three. As always, exercise caution when downloading free software from the internet. We use cnet.download.com for safe downloads.

Now we'll get a little more geeky. May be a good time to bail.
 Want more proof how weird this is? Check out the photo below of the Classified ad in question. It's displayed incorrectly inside the HTML document, but if viewed in some browsers at the top level, meaning not inside the document (by itself) it will display differently depending upon what type of browser you're using.

Test your browser: click on the image, and then in your browser ask it to display the image by itself (as in, not inside of an HTML document). On PC you can simply right-click and selection View Image. Macintosh, Ctrl + click and select Open Image (in new tab or window... depends upon what kind of browser). In Chrome and Safari it will display correctly. FireFox still cannot at this time. Couldn't find info on Internet Explorer but you get the idea.

Bottom line: if they're rotated differently than you wish then your camera doesn't support EXIF (that information that instructs how it was intended to be viewed). Saving in Photoshop or one of the free programs mentioned above before uploading to the web will resolve this issue. .
Updated Oct-07-2013 at 9:53am by Scott Tichenor
Categories:Mandolin Cafe Site Information

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?713-Why-is-my-picture-turned-sideways

So I guess the reality of it is...who the heck knows........

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
It's almost always 99.99% a phone upload when it's sideways. Not everyone's does it, but I know even mine will if I don't resize and resave an image. It might be that forums don't read EXIF data via a direct upload.

If someone who has this issue opens their photo in a phone app like picsart or even the built-in editing and just resave it, then it fixes it. A lot aren't really phone/computer savvy and it's actually quite difficult for them, I'll rotate images and re-upload them for people sometimes when I see them on the photography boards.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »
Wow. Whatever happened to just using a phone to make a call?  :chuckle:
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Who does that? Maybe those still rocking their flip phones.
 :chuckle:

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »

That was already gone by the time I had my first cell phone  :chuckle: it had games! Games were all the rage.. then texting shortly after.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »

That was already gone by the time I had my first cell phone  :chuckle: it had games! Games were all the rage.. then texting shortly after.

Todd is old....
 :sry:

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »

Who does that? Maybe those still rocking their flip phones.
 :chuckle:

I still use a flip phone.......

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Retired Seattle Fire Captain - 1st. Paramedic
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
Rich

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab