collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How did your archery elk opener go?  (Read 14958 times)

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How did your archery elk opener go?
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »
I hunted opening weekend and saw 3 elk, all cows. I was in a spike only unit... Wind was blowing crazy all day Saturday. The bulls sure were screaming all night long. That was awesome! I  wish I had more time to hunt but looks like weekend hunts for me for the early season.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
Re: How did your archery elk opener go?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »
It was good thanks! 7 hunters in our camp this year, opening day  one friend took a 4x5 at 45 yards, and my cousin took his first elk with his bow, a cow at 40 yards, everyone else saw elk except one guy. I saw a small herd of 7, pulled back on a cow at 25 yards, put my finger on the release and she stepped behind a tree, no shot and could not catch up to them. Busted a small group later, twice, never saw them. Jumped a rag horn bull on the way back to the truck, FREIGHT TRAIN!! no stopping him. Pics soon to come!

Jason
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:53:44 AM by finnman »

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
 Leaving on Friday for 17days for Idaho, cant hardly wait.
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline rewent12003

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »
went to the nile, didnt see a dam thing >:(, saw some tracks that were a day old or so but no animals, that makes 2 years in a row, cant find a good hunting area, :bash:, anyone got anyideas? :dunno:

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:12:44 PM »
Finnman sounds like your group had pretty good success. Since the cows were taken out of 328 our group has really gotten small.

Rewent- I have the same issue, looking for better spots. I'm going to try the Tanuem 336 maybe this weekend. I know I want to be in a cow or spike unit. Hunting in spike only is sure tuff.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
My brother got back from our elk camp yesterday, on their way back through Woodland the temp. read 98 degrees, not the hunting conditions you like to see. He only saw a cow in 3 days of hunting. So he goes home, he lives out side Eatonville a few miles on 5 acres, about an hour before dark to his back property line sits down and lets out a few light cow calls, about 20 minutes later he hears a faint chuckle, hunter or elk? He cow calls, it bugles back, coming closer now, its moving past him to an old skid trail, he moves also, as he moves down the trail, he catches a glimps of a giant 6x6 rack tearing the tar out of a tree, he stops, faces the elk and cow calls, it rips out one those gnarly hoarse chuckle bugles and strutts up the small rise to with in 40 yards, facing him staring forward, then left, then right, then forward, no ladys in sight, no shot, it turns and heads into the dark jungle from where it came. My brothers in pieces............

We will give it a rest and try again later this week.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:46:16 PM by finnman »

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »
My season lasted an hour and 45 minutes into opening day.  Sat on my favorite game trail when I could hear the elk coming.  Got the bow ready.  Out pops 4-5 elk at least 4 were cows.  Drew back and the lead cow stops at 25 yards broadside.  I let on go and she ran off.  I waited about 30 minutes and tracked her for about 150 yards and there she was.  Got busy.  Me and a friend packed her out in two trips about 4.5 miles from camp.  Three of miles were on moutain bikes.  Had her on ice by 3:30pm.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
sweet...way to go.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
Nice pictures. Good job guys. I'm hoping to find some elk this weekend :)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:57:41 AM »
Congrats.  We are headed out at 3 am in the morn.  Getting pretty excited.  Kind of hard to wrok today.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:06:54 PM »
Well done all.  I hunted roosies for the first time over the weekend, and in an area I've never been in to boot.  Not surprising I suppose that we didn't see much.  More of an exploratory mission that will hopefully pay off down the road. 

Good luck in NM Bone...looks like the monsoons have stopped, so you should be in good shape.  I'm leaving tomorrow as well to tag along on my cousin's unit 8 AZ hunt.  Should be fun to be the cameraman/caller and not have the stress of a once in 10 years tag.   Not that I don't wish I had the tag...just trying to focus on the bright side.   :rolleyes:

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »
Are trip went pretty good! We didn't harvest an elk but we got on them every day. Are crew traveled 78 miles on foot and bikes. We had 8 bulls come in on us with in 50 yards. We set up on a nice 5x6 and he he was coming in quick and the wind was perfect. I think we found his house because he raked almost every tree raw. He came in to 50 yards and let out a chuckle so I answered back and he screamed at me. I had my dad set up about 85 yards behind me and he let out a chuckle then the elk got pissed. He started taking out his aggression out a a bush. Then the wind changed and he took off just as fast as he came in,this went on for about an hour and a half. We had about 8 good set up like this were some little thing just went wrong and we got them all on film. On the last day of the hunt, a deer walked in on me at 17 yards so I took it to get some meat in the freezer. The body is alittle sore but we are heading back down tomorrow to try to fill my dad's toulte any bull tag.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline 6 Point

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »
Went up to scout for Muzzleloader opener, and didn't see any hunters with a bow  Saw many elk and about 15 branched whitetail bucks.  One with about 23 points.  Come on oct 6th

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »
Mine was great athough I didn't get an elk. I started out with plans to hunt 9 days. This got widdled down to 5 days and then ultimately became 4 days. Temperatures were smoking hot most of the time (90+), which I can't imagine is very good for hunting. The amount of wildlife I saw was impressive....4 cows, 2 calves, 6 deer, 5 grouse, 3 gardner snakes and 1 porcupine. I didn't have an archery deer tag so couldn't take a deer, but had several close encounters with elk. The first two days of the season the elk were fairly vocal with several bulls bugling at us and cows responding to our bugles. One opportunity I missed was when a cow came into one of my bugles, but I had started moving before I noticed the cow coming at us and got busted out in the open. The second opportunity I missed was when I spent too much time ranging a cow as she crossed the road in front of me (I had a pretty good idea on the shot distance already) rather than making an estimate and taking a shot. I sure wished I could have hunted the extra 5 days since it seemed like only a matter of time before everyting would come together at the right time/right place etc.

BTW....congrats to everyone who gotten an animal this year
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:07:54 PM by Little Fish »

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »
You had cows coming in to a bugle?  Hmm...never heard of that happening. I will have to try that on my muzzleloader season Toutle cow hunt.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »
I'm brand spankin' new to archery hunting and pretty new to calling so I may be mistaken, but it sure seemed like those cows were coming into my bugle. Earlier in the morning I had a cow mew once then let out 5 or 6 estrus whines after I bugled. At first I thought it must be another hunter, but based on the location of the response plus realistic sound of the response I'm 90% certain it was a cow saying...."I'm here...come and get me."

During modern firearm season last year I called some cows into a buddy who set up in the middle of a small clearcut. They came running into what I would consider a lost cow/calf call. These animals came in so fast I thought they were going to run my buddy over.

Edit:  Bobcat....good luck on your Toutle cow hunt. There are lots of animals in there. I imagine you will have very little trouble filling your tag. It sure will be difficult passing on the bulls and taking a cow however.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:00:21 AM by Little Fish »

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:48 AM »
Just got back from the uptanuam/manashtash hunt. Saw 4 elk in 5 days and they were in the closed Naches unit.Too hot and dry.We did see a ton of grouse thou.We heard no bugleing at all.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
Are trip went pretty good! We didn't harvest an elk but we got on them every day. Are crew traveled 78 miles on foot and bikes. We had 8 bulls come in on us with in 50 yards. We set up on a nice 5x6 and he he was coming in quick and the wind was perfect. I think we found his house because he raked almost every tree raw. He came in to 50 yards and let out a chuckle so I answered back and he screamed at me. I had my dad set up about 85 yards behind me and he let out a chuckle then the elk got pissed. He started taking out his aggression out a a bush. Then the wind changed and he took off just as fast as he came in,this went on for about an hour and a half. We had about 8 good set up like this were some little thing just went wrong and we got them all on film. On the last day of the hunt, a deer walked in on me at 17 yards so I took it to get some meat in the freezer. The body is alittle sore but we are heading back down tomorrow to try to fill my dad's toulte any bull tag.

Funkster, did your dad ever get the map/access info in the mail from the WDFW for his Toutle hunt? My Toutle permit season starts October 6. I called the WDFW contact person they had listed on the post card they sent out, and he said they would  be sending my info out at the end of September. It sure would be nice to know which gates will be open, if any. The archery permit holders should have received their info by now, since the season starts tomorrow.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
My brother just dumped elk number 10 this morning. A heavy 5x6 with a non-typical spike about 8 inches long next to the main beam for an official 5x7. 30 yards, slipped an arrow at a slight quartering in angle, right behind the front leg bone, pierced the lungs, liver, stomach and exited the opposite paunch. Bull went 200 yards at a sprint.  bull was leaving the clearcut in a hurry, he let out a raspy bugle and my brother imitated it, that was all it took! He was in their laps in a flash.

More pics coming!

Finnman
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:53:47 AM by finnman »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »
holy crap...my mouth is watering just looking at those backstraps.
that is a great looking bull, love the color of his horns...and thanks for the story.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 08:57:32 AM »
Wow. Nice animal and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
Sweet!!  Great bull(s)!!  Gotta love it!!

Offline huntingnut

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
Nice bull!! great color

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 07:44:05 PM »
Sweat nice looking bull.  Also love the antler color.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »
Bobcat,sorry it took so long to respond,just got home from the 2nd hunt. Yes,my dad did get his map info. We received it 2 days before the season opener. Just as I thought it would in pure WDFW fashion.

We had a great hunt so far and have seen some big bulls. The last day we spent in the winston we got on a big 5x6 screamin' mad, he came in to 40yrds but stopped in some brush and we didn't get a shot off. We bugled back and forth for a good 20 Min's but he just wouldn't commit. I passed on a cow which now I'm thinking I should have taken but that's hunting.

We are heading back down to the toutle in the middle of the week. The elk action is just now starting to really get good down in the SW as the weather cooled off alot I wish the general season was just alittle longer :chuckle:. The day after the rain stopped and some sun came out the elk started running around again and singing there songs. Elk hunting is a tough sport,good luck to all and congrats to everyone that has tagged one!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »
Thanks Funkster. Yeah I figured you were busy hunting. That's a good enough excuse for me.  ;)

I'm curious about access to Weyerhaeuser land. Of course I haven't received my access info from the WDFW yet and my hunt is only 2 weeks away. But, the guy did tell me it wouldn't be sent out until the end of Sept, so I wasn't really expecting it yet anyway. Last I heard motorized vehicle access on Weyerhaeuser was still closed due to fire danger. So I'm guessing you guys were either walking in behind gates or were hunting state land?

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 03:26:15 AM »
Bobcat,Yeah,the tree farm was still closed due to fire. We hunted both the state land and some of the tree farm across the 4100 bridge on bikes. The WDFW did give 3 maps of the area with the damage areas highlighted and potential access areas shown as well. They did say if the weather was on are side they would open up the gates during the week only. I checked the hotline every day, sometimes twice a day as it rained 3 days straight. They did not open the gates at all.

You should have a good hunt with a muzzle loader we could have taken 8 respectable bulls if we had a muzzle loader and they should still be bugling. I think the hot weather stalled the rut action for about a week or so. Alot of the bulls we got on were just not ready to commit yet. Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted.

BTW,get a bear tag! We saw two bears and my dad almost got a shot at one at 17 yards away. The bear spooked when my dad took the arrow out of his quiver.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »
Great looking bull finman.  Tell your brother congrats....better yet, get him to sign up and we'll congratulate him in person. :tup:

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
There are some great elk on here...nice to see people are doing well!!! :)

Here is a pic of my very first elk ever!
He is a 2007 WA archery 5x5 taken from a tree stand at 1 yard!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:27 AM »

It went great.  I was blessed with the opportunity to take this spike on opening morning at 7:30am.  He isn't the biggest, but I also couldn't be picky since I didn't have a branch antlered permit.

He came running into my cow calls and stopped broadside at 30 yards.  One shot from my Hoyt Trykon XL was all it took.  He went only 25 yards after the shot before expiring.  A larger spike came into my calls while I was sitting there waiting to track the one I shot.  It was an exciting couple hours of bowhunting.

DB
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline fish-on37

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 01:05:41 PM »
Openeing weekend was not so good. I hunted west side and it was really hot. I came home on the first tuesday and went back to work. Headed bact to Saint Helens on that friday. Took a really heavy 6x5 on the 18th. The second week the rut was in full swing and the bulls were vocal. It was an awsome hunt. We were on elk everyday.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
went great!! sept. 9th for my dad, and sept 10th, for me! 333" and 300" :)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 09:14:33 AM »
awesome...you got a story or 2 for us to go with those pics?

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
Awsome.....Can't wait ti read the story.  Congrats! 

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 12:31:41 PM »
yeah, the story will be submitted to eastmans' bowhunting journal this week..  You can read it there!! after it is published there (i hope) i will post it on here!

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
4x4 in Washington, and nothing in Idaho.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]