collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Killing coyotes with turkey loads?  (Read 17691 times)

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Killing coyotes with turkey loads?
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
Anybody using turkey loads for coyotes? What's ur success? What shot size you using?

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
Re: Killing coyotes with turkey loads?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
It works but if you want to really stone them get some buck shot or dead coyote.

Buddy shot one with 3'' 00 dead coyote at 28 yards on monday and it strait killed it dead!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:37:58 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
We've killed 'em with duck loads back when lead was legal and even 7-1/2's while chukar hunting. The only time I killed a coyote with a shotgun while actually hunting for coyotes, I was using lead BB's in a 12 gauge. Shot was about 25 yards and it did require a finishing shot, although the first one knocked it down.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Better be pretty close.  I shot one in the face at 35-ish yards with a load of #4s and he shook his head and ran off.  Never found him.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Emptyhanded

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
I shot one in the head with a 2 3/4" #4 steal at 30 yards while bird hunting. He humped up and made it a couple yards before falling over dead. It wasn't my first choice but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »
I killed one at turkey range 25ish yards with #5 turkey load. Stone dead.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
"Turkey load" means #4 or smaller.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

#5 is smaller than #4.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
When and IF I ever take a shotgun with me I'll take #1 Buckshot but until then
I'll stick to the 22-250
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

#5 is smaller than #4.
Right. Some have referenced using 00 and BB.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »

#5 is smaller than #4.
Right. Some have referenced using 00 and BB.

True story.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Better be pretty close.  I shot one in the face at 35-ish yards with a load of #4s and he shook his head and ran off.  Never found him.
I just gave one a face full of #5s while hunting upland birds the other day. Like above, shook his head while twirling around and was gone! Years ago I nailed one broad side on a dead run with steel BBs and dropped him DRT. That said, I'd stick to small buck shot if I was serious about coyote hunting with a shotgun.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline BLR 243

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
I rolled one @ 50 yards on the run with dead coyote load 3.5 inch T shot I think it would work even farther than that.

Offline KenPCPilot

• Longhunter
    • KenPCPilot
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
I use Coyote-Hevi Shot 3.5 mags.  I have shot 3 this way.  They drop but are not DRT.   I have a 40 year old Winchtester pump and this brand makes a beautiful pattern spread about 18 inches at 50 yards.   
GO BUCKS

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
I have used my goose load. Heavy metal 3" BBB head shots work best out to 50 yards. A broad side shot will knock them down and be quick about hitting them again.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
I refuse to pay the price of dead coyote! I've been using #4 buck 00 buck and 000 buck for a few years now with ok success, just started patterning a bunch of loads with my new carlsons coyote choke and decided to try a turkey load. Holy smokes at 40 yds I pity the turkey that walks I front of me next year!!!  :yike: so was wondering how they might work on coyotes. I've killed a couple with steel bb and t shot before. So far my best patterns from a bennelli super nova with the carlsons coyote have been remington and federal 2 3/4. #4 buck 27 pellets. Tried royal 2 3/4 #4 buck  was ok and the hornady varmint express 2 3/4 #4 buck was terrible. Going to be trying more in the near future why the order comes in

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
I have never taken apart a #4 buck shot... are the pellets loaded into a shot wad like bird shot? I pour my own #1-0 buckshot inside normal 2 3/4 trap shot loads and have killed them out to 70 yards. The next time I pur and pack some im going to use some buffering  to keep the shot together longer. Ground corn cob or somehting like that... after the season i'll have to do some testing.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Be careful using buffer in a load designed for no buffer!  You may see some huge pressure spikes!  I have a great #4buck load I use.  35pellets   id be happy to share.  I've taken a coyote at 76 yards with it but I got lucky! One pellet hit him just right.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline motg9_6

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
Please share !!!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
3" win hull.  Waa12 wad.    win209.  27.5gr of herco.  35 pellets of #4 BUCK   pattern's best in my shotgun with imp. Mod. Choke. Full and Xtra full is too tight, it donuts.  I use the 3" hulls from my win double X turkey loads.  1200fps. 10,300psi
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
I killed one with #5 pheasant load out of my 20 ga a couple years back. He was only about 30' away though and right in the face. He didn't even twitch. Poor guy didn't see it coming till it was WAY to late   :)
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
We've killed 'em with duck loads back when lead was legal and even 7-1/2's while chukar hunting. The only time I killed a coyote with a shotgun while actually hunting for coyotes, I was using lead BB's in a 12 gauge. Shot was about 25 yards and it did require a finishing shot, although the first one knocked it down.

Right in a damn mud puddle on a snowy/icy day.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »
Be careful using buffer in a load designed for no buffer!  You may see some huge pressure spikes!  I have a great #4buck load I use.  35pellets   id be happy to share.  I've taken a coyote at 76 yards with it but I got lucky! One pellet hit him just right.

Well its pretty redneck but i just pour out the #8shot  Of a factory Trap load and add it to my lead pour then stack in the 9 pellets and re crimp on the factory load. Works damn good.

So would the problem be that the buffer would seal up the load too tight? I dont shoot a real tight choke i think its a modified.... and doesnt the shot wad do most of the sealing?

Confucius

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

Well its pretty redneck but i just pour out the #8shot  Of a factory Trap load and add it to my lead pour then stack in the 9 pellets and re crimp on the factory load. Works damn good.

So would the problem be that the buffer would seal up the load too tight? I dont shoot a real tight choke i think its a modified.... and doesnt the shot wad do most of the sealing?

it might work or it might take your gun apart.  It adds weight and yes makes it tighter seal. That factory round was designed to throw bird shot. Shot shell loading is not like metallic case reloading. You can't work up loads or change up components. Its playing with fire! You could be just fine but I wouldn't try it! Could cause huge pressure spike or it will be too tight and the wad may not leave your barrel. Then shot #2 is a big boom instead of a pop. I recommend the Lyman shot shell reloading book. It can explain better than I did and its a great source of load data, from loading for clays,birds,steel,bismuth or heavy shot,and also buck shot and slugs.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
I have lots of buck shot load data if any one needs it. I'm all for helping people put down more coyotes  sources: lyman and bp's coyote loading book.

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
Never use anything but #4 buck myself .
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
I've killed two with 3" steel shot #4's while duck hunting, and a few with turkey loads of various shot sizes.  Never had one run off...

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Winchester 3 inch #5 are devastating on coyotes .. :tup: I prefer them any day over buckshot ... :twocents:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
So does #4 buck use a shot wad like bird shot

Confucius

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
So does #4 buck use a shot wad like bird shot
yes. Most of my data calls for common wads. Some use sa.e wads as steel shot. Problem is there's about 100 different wad/powder/primers combos just for buck shot alone.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
I folded one a couple of years back while trying to call in a tom, #4 turkey loads dropped him like a bad habbit at 40 yds.  Ran up and shot him again in the neck to stop the flopping.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
Federal makes or used to make a 3" load of 1-7/8 oz of lead bb 's. Kicks like hell. I have a tough time finding it. Really lethal on coyotes. I prefer large enough shot to carry energy down range but not to large that you have few pellets and get holes in your pattern at longer ranges. #4 buck,  T, BB.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
Federal makes or used to make a 3" load of 1-7/8 oz of lead bb 's. Kicks like hell. I have a tough time finding it. Really lethal on coyotes. I prefer large enough shot to carry energy down range but not to large that you have few pellets and get holes in your pattern at longer ranges. #4 buck,  T, BB.

I too have troubles finding those fed 3" BB. I have 2 shots left.  Yup kick like a mule!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter