collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: when and how often to feed a dog  (Read 15021 times)

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
when and how often to feed a dog
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »
My dad is getting on my case cause i only feed my waterfowl dog (11 months) once a day in the evening. Tell me if i am wrong in doing this because i know not to feed a dog on the morning of a hunt. And to habitualize a dog by feeding him in the morning and then not feed him on the morning of a hunt is going to throw him off of his game. What i am basically saying is that my dad doesnt think that every hunting dog is only fed once a day, and i know it might not be every hunting dog, but most likely the majority. can you fellas help me out in explaining this to my dad?
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: when and how often to feed a dog
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
I've had hunting dogs for 17 years and I've always fed them only once a day, but I usually feed in the morning before I leave for work.

Weekends I feed them whenever I get around to it. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,14790.0.html

good discussion just a few threads below.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »
I feed my dogs in the evening.  Hunting dog, pet dog, show dog no difference once a day in the evening  ;)

I've done this for 20+ years and never had a dog bloat, and haven't had many issues with picky eaters. The couple times I've had pups I would feed twice a day until they were 5-6 months of age.

Offline ducksdoom12

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
not saying this to offend you or anything elliott but your dad is a little bit of a liberal when it comes to your dog, dogs are built in the wild to survive off of one meal ever week or so if they have too and even though pet dogs are a long way from coytes and what not the still have some of that heritage. after 6 or 7 months once a day is more then enough (dont get the idea anyone that i am saying only feed your dog once a week, or even every other day for that matter, just saying once a day is fine)
vegetarian,n: North American word for bad hunter

heroism consistes of holding on one minute longer

if you wish for peace, be prepared for war

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
i feed my dog 2x a day, he's not a hunter but he has done a lot of hiking and on those mornings he gets a light meal and sometimes a little snack on the trail depending how far we go...my dog would eat my leg off if i fed him when i got around to it.
how much do you feed your dog is probably as or more important as how many times a day or when.
i think people get in trouble with their dogs when they put a full bowl of food down and let them eat whenever they want...this is not healthy for the dog...but again, my dog wouldn't leave any siting around. it would all be gone in one shot regardless of how much.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ducksdoom12

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
...my dog would eat my leg off if i fed him when i got around to it. 
dont know if you were complaining about this or not, but try adding a extra handfull of food when your dog if half way through his food, with in 2 days he will stop being so territorial over his food bowl and your hand will be safe if the situation ever comes up where u have to take it away from him/her early
vegetarian,n: North American word for bad hunter

heroism consistes of holding on one minute longer

if you wish for peace, be prepared for war

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »
It is better for your dog to be fed twice a day.Its recommended but not nesecary, once a day is fine too. Just remember a fat dog isnt a healthy dog . Some dogs need to be fed a little more and some a little less, depends on there metabolism and activeness. I have hounds and when I go on a hunt in the morning I dont usually feed them much, depends if we are going to be running right away or have a couple hours to my destination, then I will feed them.

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
This is a funny topic because my dog will eat a few bites here and a few bites there and always has food in her bowl...She wont eat anything other than her dog food either, not even a dog treat...My girlfriend gives them to her and I find them stashed all over...haha she is a weirdo though....My last dog would of ate you outta house and home if you let her....But its all on the dog..Feed em once a day and they will be fine!!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
...my dog would eat my leg off if i fed him when i got around to it. 
dont know if you were complaining about this or not, but try adding a extra handfull of food when your dog if half way through his food, with in 2 days he will stop being so territorial over his food bowl and your hand will be safe if the situation ever comes up where u have to take it away from him/her early

not what i meant. i meant he gets so excited about dinner time. he's not territorial about his food...but when it's dinner time, it's dinner time if you know what i mean.
he eats about 1.5 cups of food in the a.m. and the same in the p.m.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »
My dad is getting on my case cause i only feed my waterfowl dog (11 months) once a day in the evening

Two choices. Tell him to STFU. Or just lie to him.

We always fed our dogs once a day in the afternoon except we'd feed them before a hunt. We used to feed them in the morning but the Vet said it was better in the afternoon. BTW the vet fed his twice a day but half portions. He said it was because food time is so enjoyable for a dog he just liked making them happy. This guy was a HARDCORE bird hunter so we really liked him but we stayed with once a day not twice.

I've got a lab who'll be 15 in may. Once a day has worked for him. He's been fed once a day his whole life (except hunts) and an occasional plate scraping. 

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
thanks alot you guys, you have been more than helpful and ive learned a little something today.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »
Some experts even say that it is good for a dog to fast one day per week.  Your dog might just hate you though if you try not feeding him one day per week. :bdid:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
i feed my lab at in the evening , it is not wrong to feed them once a day , that keeps their weight just perfect , i usually give her 2 cups of dog food which is just perfect for her size an weight

Offline Grizzle

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
The best advice I've gotten on the subject of feeding is to do after walking the dog.   This most closely mimics nature where dogs will walk to find their food.  So if you walk in the evenings, then this might be the perfect way to approach your Dad about it.  (This is also the recommendation of Cesar Millan, The Skete monks recommend food just prior to walking)

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 04:09:31 AM »
Once a DAY a man.  My dog will ration himself and leave food in the dish most of the day.  I could leave a garbage can of food out and he wouldn't over eat.  He is a Lab and they generally will over eat if you allow them. 
Will hunt for food.

Offline Schmalzfam

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »
We feed our dogs twice a day. Once at 4:30am and then again at 5pm or so.
The feeding in the morning is early enough to settle by the time we hunt that way we don't have to worry about bloat. We have also always watered their food down with warm water, to help as well.

Also, I have been known to bring little energy snacks for them as well.

I never feed a meal after hunting, running or anything that has taken a lot of energy.

I know people who feed once a day and that is their choice. I would worry more about bloat when feeding once a day. If a dog is hungry they eat fast and they are generally fed more, if only feeding once a day.
But, I don't think poorly of people who feed once a day. We just feed twice.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:18:07 AM by Schmalzfam »

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »
thanks

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
All my labs were once a day eaters, 2 cups of dry, high quality food (high protein) around 5 PM.  They shouldn't be crapping 35 times a day.  If they are, your food is full of rice/corn filler and that just sails straight through them.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
All my labs were once a day eaters, 2 cups of dry, high quality food (high protein) around 5 PM.  They shouldn't be crapping 35 times a day.  If they are, your food is full of rice/corn filler and that just sails straight through them.

so lamb and rice is not good, the food i feed my labs is diamond plus nautral, lamb and rice,  no corn at all, is rice not good i knew corn wasnt but i didnt hear anything about rice

Offline bow4elk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 11:51:38 PM »
I should have been more clear.  There's nothing wrong with lamb/rice or corn, just remember that the higher the protein content, then better quality food, in general.  Rice/Corn is more or less "filler" and you'll notice your dog(s) pooping a lot more with foods containing higher % of rice/corn.  Dogs are carnivores so it's good to provide them a high protein diet.  Hope this makes my last post more clear.  I'm no expert on breeds and diets - just sharing my experience with many years of owning labs.  Every dog is different too so consult your vet if you have specific questions about what to feed and how much.  For example, "Free feeding" is common for many dogs, which is just leaving the food available all the time and the dog will regulate.  I have not had labs that follow this routine.  One female yellow lab we had got the lid off our food container (metal garbage can) and gorged herself into a bloated mess of burping, gassing, and groaning.  I estimated that she ate about 2 gallons of dry kibble.  Her gut was HUGE and I was a bit worried about her.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
ok i think that makes sense the more protein the better , yea i only feed my 2 labs once a day as well around 4pm, as well as my wifes chihuahuas

Offline bow4elk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
We have two hilarious French Bulldogs now, and though I said I'd never own a "little" dog, I gotta say these little guys are GREAT!  Super low maintenance and funny as hell critters.  They are dainty eaters and seems to take all evening to get through the 2/3 cup, once a day.  They hack and burp their way through it.  Total train wreck event that I never get tired of watching  :chuckle:

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
yea i only have to feed my chihuahuas about a half a cup a day

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
I have a 14 year old Yellow lab and a 1 1/2 year old Choclate lab and I feed them once a day in the evening. The pup got twice a day feedings when she was under 1 year and I would throw a little to the big guy to be fair but I found he started to get over wieght so I stopped that. Now that the little girl is over a year she seems fine with her wieght at 1 feeding a day allthough like Jakelope's dog if I poured out the whole 40 pound bag she would eat till she popped!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 06:20:49 AM »
ok i think that makes sense the more protein the better , yea i only feed my 2 labs once a day as well around 4pm, as well as my wifes chihuahuas

Didnt feeding the labs your wifes dogs make her upset?  :dunno:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »

:chuckle: that would be great

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
I should have been more clear.  There's nothing wrong with lamb/rice or corn, just remember that the higher the protein content, then better quality food, in general.  Rice/Corn is more or less "filler" and you'll notice your dog(s) pooping a lot more with foods containing higher % of rice/corn.  Dogs are carnivores so it's good to provide them a high protein diet.  Hope this makes my last post more clear.  I'm no expert on breeds and diets - just sharing my experience with many years of owning labs.

I agree with bow4elk on the grain "fillers". Here is a the reply I posted for Robb92 in another thread about his dogs sensitive skin:

My boy had the same problem. It always seemed like he was getting hotspots that he would pick on constantly. I tried a few things, but if I stopped they came back right away. I started doing a lot of research and one of the constants that came up was feeding your dog food that had grains in it. It seems a lot of dogs have reactions to the grain. I decided to switch over and found this placed called the dog bakery that only has natural dog foods. They had a ton of samples for each food and I ended up taking home a whole shopping bag full. I ended up choosing one called "Taste of the Wild". They have three flavors that my dogs love. My boy has shown marked improvement. His coat is much nicer, he has filled in, and he does not get those hotspots anymore. Another plus is he does not each as much anymore and his scat is much firmer. One down side is the food costs about three times more than buying a bag at the local Wallymart, but I think my hunting partner is worth it. It would defintely be worth checking out.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 04:27:56 AM »

:chuckle: that would be great
[/quote} Did the chihuahuas burn on the way out..I yi yi yi

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
I should have been more clear.  There's nothing wrong with lamb/rice or corn, just remember that the higher the protein content, then better quality food, in general.  Rice/Corn is more or less "filler" and you'll notice your dog(s) pooping a lot more with foods containing higher % of rice/corn.  Dogs are carnivores so it's good to provide them a high protein diet.  Hope this makes my last post more clear.  I'm no expert on breeds and diets - just sharing my experience with many years of owning labs.

I agree with bow4elk on the grain "fillers". Here is a the reply I posted for Robb92 in another thread about his dogs sensitive skin:

My boy had the same problem. It always seemed like he was getting hotspots that he would pick on constantly. I tried a few things, but if I stopped they came back right away. I started doing a lot of research and one of the constants that came up was feeding your dog food that had grains in it. It seems a lot of dogs have reactions to the grain. I decided to switch over and found this placed called the dog bakery that only has natural dog foods. They had a ton of samples for each food and I ended up taking home a whole shopping bag full. I ended up choosing one called "Taste of the Wild". They have three flavors that my dogs love. My boy has shown marked improvement. His coat is much nicer, he has filled in, and he does not get those hotspots anymore. Another plus is he does not each as much anymore and his scat is much firmer. One down side is the food costs about three times more than buying a bag at the local Wallymart, but I think my hunting partner is worth it. It would defintely be worth checking out.

were is this dog bakery at , i want to feed my dogs good food, right now i am feeding them diamond plus .....lamb and rice

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
my dogs vet said at least 20 percent on protein.your percentage is on the bags.I use ol roy because Im not working.Its 27 percent.I feed my heeler 2 cups in the moring and 2 cups in the evening.And I give some meat left overs also. :dunno:

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
my dogs vet said at least 20 percent on protein.your percentage is on the bags.I use ol roy because Im not working.Its 27 percent.I feed my heeler 2 cups in the moring and 2 cups in the evening.And I give some meat left overs also. :dunno:

i heard ol roy wasnt good for the dogs it has corn in it ..... plus for the price of a 40 pd bag of ol roy is the same as how much i pay for diamond plus .... this is natural no corn or by products , i pay $34 for a 40 pd bag , you can get them a dels or any farm supply store

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

i heard ol roy wasnt good for the dogs it has corn in it ..... plus for the price of a 40 pd bag of ol roy is the same as how much i pay for diamond plus .... this is natural no corn or by products , i pay $34 for a 40 pd bag , you can get them a dels or any farm supply store
I hear ya never heard corn was bad this has rice and corn.But My wife works at wally world so I get the discount.If I was working I would use something else..Thanks for the info on dels I like that place.When I go there seems they always have a little time to talk

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »

All animals need some source of fiber. That is why they use corn and or rice in dog food. That is why you see wild dog poo with berries and such in it. The thing you want to watch out for is where in the ingredients list the corn is. You want corn to be about the 5th or 6th ingredient on the list. Like rasbo said you also want at least 20% protein, possibly more if the dog is working hard. My Rott is fed twice a day and sometimes she will leave food in her bowl because she is full, my fiances puggle will eat until she explodes so we have to severely limit her food, and my Lab will only eat once a day, I think she is the only weight conscious dog I have ever seen. If she gains one pound she quites eating.

Brandon

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »

were is this dog bakery at , i want to feed my dogs good food, right now i am feeding them diamond plus .....lamb and rice
[/quote]

benbo30 the Dog bakery is located in South Hill just above Puyallup on 136th and Meridian next to the Pizza Hut. I have also seen "Taste of the Wild" at our local Graham Hay Market even though I have not bought it there. Main thing is you want to feed something your dogs like. When I took home that whole bag full of samples and tried it on my boy and the chihuahua's they showed their pickiness. The one that all three of them would eat turned out to be Taste of the Wild. Since they have three flavors I switch it up, so they are not eating the same thing all the time. I started with a bag of roasted fowl then went to the smoked salmon, and after that the roasted bison and venison. I make sure to overlap on the feed, so I am not shocking their systems and they do great.

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
yea i have 2 labs and a couple chihuahuas as well , i feed all my dogs the same food , the diamond plus i feed them is preety good food , but i have been considering on giving my labs better food, but now that i have more knowledge on the protein and all that then im gonna start researching on the food i feed them and see what its all about

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »
I used to feed Kirkland (Costco) brand dog food which is made by Diamond. I never tried any other Diamond food so I am not sure about them. I know the Kirkland brand is made to Costco's standards, so it might not reflect all Diamond food. The high end Diamond was reccomended to me by the breeder who I bought my first dog from. I am just glad I found one food (the one mentioned above) that all the dogs like.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:41:40 PM by Sportfury »

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
I used to feed Kirkland (Costco) brand dog food which is made by Diamond. I never tried any other Diamond food so I am not sure about them. I know the Kirkland brand is made to Costco's standards, so it might not reflect all Diamond food. The high end Diamond was reccomended to me by the breeder who I bought my first dog from. I am just glad I found one food (the one mentioned above) that all the dogs like.

Kirkland food is the same recipe as the chicken soup foods which are sold at specialty stores.

You can get Taste of the wild at Del's feed, they also carry Natural Balance which is a great food.  Corn and wheat tend to be the big offenders, so look for feeds that don't have those in the ingredient list. 

If anyone is interested in trying natural balance let me know I can hook you up with samples and possibly coupons  ;)

There are lots of good diets out there

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »
i just got my first pup and i am feeding him scienc diet about 3 times a day morn,lunch, and dinner dont know if this is the rite thing 2 do but he seems 2 b alright

the vet gave us a sample bag and it gave my pup the runs like crazy! i used iams smart puppy till just recently now he is on iams largebreed.

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
I feed my dogs in the morning then again at night,  I give them one cup at a time, so two cups a day. 
But I Put enough water in the food bowl to make the food float. 
This advice was given to me.  especially with large rib cage dogs/labs,  there stomachs can turn inside if they eat to fast with activity.

Food is Natual balance, Duck and Potatoe Flavor
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:52:06 AM by RightPlace-RightTime »

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45:50 AM »
3 lbs of the cheapest driest dogfood that money can buy.

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »
I have always free fed my dogs. They eat when they want too. Not sure what the vets say about this but it has worked for me. I have never had an over weight dog, and since they know they can eat whenever they want food is never an issue. I have seen dogs that are only fed once a day gulp their food so quick that they throw it back up. Like I said, not sure what is best. Free feeding has worked great for me on several dogs though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal