collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594  (Read 75260 times)

Offline Hi-Liter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
The only "transfer" that would be illegal would be between an adult student and another student.

So, then passing a firearm between adults to cross an obstacle would be a violation.
Technically, yes.

And that is the sticking point for me.

I already responded to Whipple that as long as it did not interfere with gun handling for all students I would schedule classes.

But if they cannot find a way that every student during fence crossings can hand a firearm to another regardless of age then that might be it for me. It is a friggin bunch of crap that students with unloaded firearms, in a hunter ed class could not be passing guns back and forth because of age.  :puke: :tdown: :pee:

At some point enough is enough for volunteers to tip toe around.

If that happens I will cancel classes and put on my phone machine that I  no longer doing classes because of 594 restrictions call your law makers.

T
A transfer of a firearm between an adult student and the instructor violates WA law tomorrow. How are students suppose to handle a firearm properly for training purpose, an air/pellet gun-Really.
Did you not read the memo, or do you not agree with their attorneys?

" Transfers of firearms between Hunter Education Instructors and Hunter Education students are also exempt from the background check/transfer requirements of I-594, when the Hunter Education Instructors are in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program.

Yeah I read it. I saw what you pointed out.

I guess adults will have to hand off the guns during the HE course to "ghosts"  :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
I don't like the new law at all. However, I think the odds of a student in an authorized hunter education course be cited for an illegal "transfer" by handing a firearm to another student in the same course, both under the direction of a WDFW authorized instructor is almost nil.

Even if instructors are comfortable with this, I wonder how many students/parents will not be?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »
I don't like the new law at all. However, I think the odds of a student in an authorized hunter education course be cited for an illegal "transfer" by handing a firearm to another student in the same course, both under the direction of a WDFW authorized instructor is almost nil.

Even if instructors are comfortable with this, I wonder how many students/parents will not be?

I won't be at all comfortable with this.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »

I understand, although you wouldn't be treaking the law - the student(s) would.

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »

I understand, although you wouldn't be treaking the law - the student(s) would.

That is what you call a yo-yo law. Laws are all for one and one for all. As stated before this will be challenged.

Offline Song Dog

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
Been teaching Hunters Ed for over twenty years, just resigned today.
Life is good when you are killing and Grilling

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »

Thanks for your service.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

Hunter Ed staff will not allow that. It is either legal or not. Once they decide on a policy that it is not legal ,you as a instructor are required to make sure the policy is adhered to in your classes. Or risk de-certification.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
There is already a policy manual a 1/2 inch thick. How much more can be piled on?
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »

Hunter Ed staff will not allow that. It is either legal or not. Once they decide on a policy that it is not legal ,you as a instructor are required to make sure the policy is adhered to in your classes. Or risk de-certification.
If the transfers are done at an established shooting range, or between students under age 18 it is legal. If neither of these conditions is met, it would be best to not allow firearm transfers between students.

Offline Elk329

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »
There is already a policy manual a 1/2 inch thick. How much more can be piled on?
This is included at the last of the E-mail.
Hopefully they don't add another 1/4 of an inch.

We will be releasing more detailed information soon, and will do our best to address all the situations that you as instructors will encounter.  Please continue to check the Hunter Education Instructor website for updates. If you need the login ID or password, please call Jan at or email her
We will also be slightly modifying the Hunter Education Instructor Policy Manual to provide additional clarity around the transfer of firearms for hunter education purposes. More information will be provided in the near future.
Again, thank you for all that you do.
Muzzle Control
Always Identify Your Target and what lies Beyond
Treat "EVERY" Firearm as if it were Loaded

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »

I-594 created a bad law that will continue to result in unintended consequences until it can be amended or repealed, or perhaps they were intended consequences.  It's a shame that we have to wait two years for a simple majority to fix this mess legislatively; a 2/3 super majority would be difficult to obtain prior to the two-year limit.  Hopefully some judicial/legal remedies can be imposed to fix some of the major issues with I-594 in the near future.

This is what happens when those who vote get their heads filled with propaganda funded by a few anti-gun billionaires.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
But it seems to defeat the purpose of I-594 and the limited set of exemptions.

Uhh, pay attention to that letter and read "the small print" about firearm exchanges and students over 18 years of age....
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:11 AM »

Contact me off list, ASAP please

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 07:28:29 AM »
But it seems to defeat the purpose of I-594 and the limited set of exemptions.

Uhh, pay attention to that letter and read "the small print" about firearm exchanges and students over 18 years of age....

Yeah, I saw that.  The point is that I-594 authors provided an unworkable exemption for HEP, and the WDFW (an agency with LE authhority) chose to use the more generous LE exemption, in effect, advocating the the HEP conduct "straw transfers" to facilitate hunter education, the raison d'etre of I-594.

I find that ironic.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1