collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594  (Read 75273 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
But it seems to defeat the purpose of I-594 and the limited set of exemptions.

Uhh, pay attention to that letter and read "the small print" about firearm exchanges and students over 18 years of age....

Yeah, I saw that.  The point is that I-594 authors provided an unworkable exemption for HEP, and the WDFW (an agency with LE authhority) chose to use the more generous LE exemption, in effect, advocating the the HEP conduct "straw transfers" to facilitate hunter education, the raison d'etre of I-594.

I find that ironic.

Inert guns for adults. I predict that it will be 100% inert guns when we have the spring in-service. There will be no more live fire. Hunting and firearm accidents will increase. For the imperceptible change this law will make in gun crime, a very perceptible change will occur in the safety record of hunters. And, the people who really pushed this bill will be glad to see it happen because then they'll be able to claim hunting is unsafe, too.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »
I don't see live fire going away in most cases. If it is done at an "established shooting range" it is exempt. We plan to continue with live fire.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:18 AM »
I don't see live fire going away in most cases. If it is done at an "established shooting range" it is exempt. We plan to continue with live fire.

We don't have a shooting range available for the classes I participate in. We go to WDFW hunting land in Vancouver. Because that's not an established range, we're out of luck.

I wrote to the commission about this about a month prior and asked them to make an impact statement. I also copied the director and emailed to the "wildthing" address, as well. They should've made themselves heard on the impacts this would have on Hunter Education and they stayed silent. It wouldn't have been a statement in support or opposition. It could've been just a statement about impact. They could've done the same with hounds and baiting. But they didn't. Instead of figuring out a way to show how these things would impact hunter education, wildlife management, etc., they took the easy route. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the commission and the administration for their lack of intestinal fortitude and their complete inability to do what is right for the hunters of this state.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:53:35 AM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »

We don't have a shooting range available for the classes I participate in. We go to WDFW hunting land in Vancouver.
Yes, that appears to be a problem that 594 has created.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
Been teaching Hunters Ed for over twenty years, just resigned today.
good hope more follow.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
Friendly request:  If everyone who reads and comments here could cut-and-paste their remarks over to Examiner, it would help readers across the country understand fully what we're up against.

I-594: They passed it, now we get to see what’s in it

:bash:  :bash:  :bash:

As provisions of Initiative 594 kick in today, the first signs of what this legislation means are beginning to show up exactly where the anti-gun proponents insisted they would not: Hunter Education and promoting firearms safety, according to a discussion unfolding right now on the Hunting-Washington forum that begins with a Tuesday memo from the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

http://www.examiner.com/article/i-594-they-passed-it-now-we-get-to-see-what-s-it

maybe that professor Gruber could explain how this happened, eh? He did so well with Obamacare...
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Reading with interest :yike: one issue hasn't been touched,  in my classes lately its getting 50/50 over 18, Soooo on range day, real guns used, over 18 is considered adults,  Sooooo can't transfer :bdid:  Right????

After 25 years, I don't have much faith in the Commission or Directors "helping" much correcting this!!! :bash:
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
Reading with interest :yike: one issue hasn't been touched,  in my classes lately its getting 50/50 over 18, Soooo on range day, real guns used, over 18 is considered adults,  Sooooo can't transfer :bdid:  Right????

After 25 years, I don't have much faith in the Commission or Directors "helping" much correcting this!!! :bash:
It has been addressed. You can transfer real firearms if your live fire is conducted at an established shooting range.

Even if they wanted to, the Commission can't change an initiative.

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
"You can transfer real firearms if your live fire is conducted at an established shooting range."

:dunno: Last paragraph on page 2, of the letter from Dave W. leaves a LOT of wiggle room.  From the way its is worded, "Adults" are still in limbo over I-594's wording.   And WDFW have not gotten confirmation yet, if we can pass off a real firearm to them.  :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »
"You can transfer real firearms if your live fire is conducted at an established shooting range."

:dunno: Last paragraph on page 2, of the letter from Dave W. leaves a LOT of wiggle room.  From the way its is worded, "Adults" are still in limbo over I-594's wording.   And WDFW have not gotten confirmation yet, if we can pass off a real firearm to them.  :dunno:
I go by I-594, not what someone else states.

(4) This section does not apply to:
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located.

The WDFW memo also addresses this:

"I-594 contains limited specific exemptions for certain temporary transfers of firearms kept at shooting ranges and temporary transfers of firearms to persons under the eighteen for educational purposes. Although Hunter Education instruction is an educational purpose and may occur at a shooting range, these two exemptions do not limit or override the broader background check exemption applicable to law enforcement agencies. Therefore, within
the constraints described above, transfers of firearms between volunteer Hunter Education Instructors and students are exempt by virtue of WDFW being a law enforcement agency, regardless of the age of the student, and regardless of whether the firearm is removed from a shooting range."

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
Ok Bob,

But then in Dave's letter to "instructors" he writes this:

"I am very pleased with the outcome of the analysis, which is attached. I hope this will provide you with certainty to move forward with classes.  Having said that, please read carefully the paragraph addressing student-to-student firearm transfers; that is the only area with any remaining uncertainty at this time. We will address that very soon."

"Soon" hasn't happened yet.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Been teaching Hunters Ed for over twenty years, just resigned today.
good hope more follow.

hope not, hard enough to get kids their cards.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Ok Bob,

But then in Dave's letter to "instructors" he writes this:

"I am very pleased with the outcome of the analysis, which is attached. I hope this will provide you with certainty to move forward with classes.  Having said that, please read carefully the paragraph addressing student-to-student firearm transfers; that is the only area with any remaining uncertainty at this time. We will address that very soon."

"Soon" hasn't happened yet.
There is some uncertainly about adult student-to-student transfers, but not when the transfers occur at an established shooting range. Your comment was about range day. If it occurs at an established shooting range, there is no uncertainty.

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
I'll go back to the "memo"

"...exempt, if the transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at the range."

We use "ranges", they don't store the firearms, so the transfer by the writing up of I-594, we can not legally "transfer" to a adult student and said student can't transfer to 18 year or less student.

No uncertainty there.

What a mess!!!! 

Offline Oldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
I'll bet the "Felons" are quacking in their boots today as the new law is in place. Now if we can get another initiative to control the transfer of knives and clubs our communities will really be safe.  :bash:    :bdid:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]