collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594  (Read 75258 times)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Guidance for Hunter Education instructors regarding I-594
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »
2 year limit applies to the legislature, not citizen initiatives, to my knowledge, and that 2 year limit only means that any legislative changes within 2 years would require 2/3 majority.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
We really need to get on our horse, add some BS that voters will like, and roll in no more background checks for CPL holders and run with it.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »
We really need to get on our horse, add some BS that voters will like, and roll in no more background checks for CPL holders and run with it.

Gun control with no expiration date never lessens. Good luck with that. Our only hope is the state Supreme Court.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline huntinguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
The question that has not been addressed is for classes NOT held at a rifle range? Say you teach at an archery range, a sporting good store or a fire department. How do you have the students handle the firearms? The exemption is for "rifle ranges".

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
The question that has not been addressed is for classes NOT held at a rifle range? Say you teach at an archery range, a sporting good store or a fire department. How do you have the students handle the firearms? The exemption is for "rifle ranges".
You need to reread the memo from WDFW. Transfers between instructors and students are allowed at any location.

"In summary, the transfer/background check exemption I- 594 applies to the following transfers of firearms to or from WDFW Hunter Education Instructors while in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program:
•   Between WDFW employees and Hunter Education Instructors
•   From one Hunter Education Instructor to another Hunter Education Instructor
•   Between Hunter Education Instructors and NGOs
•   Between Hunter Education Instructors and students".
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline huntinguy

• Hunter
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:01 AM »
You need to reread the memo from WDFW. Transfers between instructors and students are allowed at any location.

"In summary, the transfer/background check exemption I- 594 applies to the following transfers of firearms to or from WDFW Hunter Education Instructors while in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program:
•   Between WDFW employees and Hunter Education Instructors
•   From one Hunter Education Instructor to another Hunter Education Instructor
•   Between Hunter Education Instructors and NGOs
•   Between Hunter Education Instructors and students".
I did: It also allows for transfer of firearms that are "stored" at the range under specific conditions. As I read it it also allows for transfer between minors while under direct supervision of a Hunters Ed instructor but does not address adults and firearms NOT stored at the range.

•   Although we are still evaluating I-594, it does not initially appear that student-to-student transfers of firearms would fall within the general WDFW exemption for law enforcement agencies. For students under eighteen, however, temporary firearms transfers for educational purposes are exempt if the student is under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult (such as a Hunter Education Instructor) who may lawfully possess firearms.   Students eighteen and older are not entitled to this exemption. However, regardless of the age of the person, temporary transfers that occur at an established, authorized shooting range are also exempt, if the transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at the range.  If adult student-to-student transfers are not exempt, then adult students may, without triggering I-594’s background check/transfer requirements—

so, IF and instructor has a "real" firearm and teaches at say a fire station or NON gun range. As I  see it the question has not been answered.

hence: "Additionally, student-to-student transfers may also be exempt under the circumstances and for the reasons described above.   Where such transfers are not exempt, we believe that minimal changes to classroom procedures will avoid conflicts with I-594.   "
and I have not seen the policy on that.

Wenatchee should be interesting this year. (I guess I better make my reservations....)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »
The "kept at all times" refers to the time period of the transfer, not before or after.

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »
 :twocents:
I-594 was severely flawed before it was passed by gullible voters that had their heads filled with emotionally-based propaganda.  At this time, we may need to jump through hoops to figure out what all of the consequences will be due to this badly written law that attacks law-abiding gun-owners.  However, a great deal of time, effort, and $$$ should also be spent figuring out how to get I-594 repealed or significantly amended to remove the most onerous and unneeded sections.  The legal folks really need to jump on this.  We should all be supporting and joining the organizations that are helping to fight this I-594 disaster.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;

"[K]ept at all times" would likely be read to mean that the firearm is located at a particular place, "at all times" relevant to the "temporary transfer."  To read "kept" to require that the firearm be "stored," or in another way that makes using the exemption nonsensical or impossible would not likely be preferred over one that makes sense and is possible.  That said, the AG/WDFW should opine on the issue to clarify matters, rather than leave it open to speculation.

The "kept at all times" refers to the time period of the transfer, not before or after.

That is how it makes most sense, during the time of the "temporary transfer."  That still does not help adult students at locations other than at an "established shooting range."

The guidance says that the transfer can occur between anyone to HE instructor (under the WDFW/LE exemption and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program), then from the HE instructor to a student. 

If adult student-to-student transfers are not exempt, then adult students may, without triggering I-594’s background check/transfer requirements—
. . .
-   Hand their functional firearms to an instructor who then hands it to the other student.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
Since I'm covered under 594 because of my LE status as a Hunter Ed instructor, does that also mean I can make arrests and give citations in places and situations where WDFW LE have jurisdiction? If so, I need a ticket book and a vest.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;

"[K]ept at all times" would likely be read to mean that the firearm is located at a particular place, "at all times" relevant to the "temporary transfer."  To read "kept" to require that the firearm be "stored," or in another way that makes using the exemption nonsensical or impossible would not likely be preferred over one that makes sense and is possible.  That said, the AG/WDFW should opine on the issue to clarify matters, rather than leave it open to speculation.

That is how it makes most sense, during the time of the "temporary transfer."  That still does not help adult students at locations other than at an "established shooting range."

The guidance says that the transfer can occur between anyone to HE instructor (under the WDFW/LE exemption and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program), then from the HE instructor to a student. 

If adult student-to-student transfers are not exempt, then adult students may, without triggering I-594’s background check/transfer requirements—
. . .
-   Hand their functional firearms to an instructor who then hands it to the other student.
I agree. If "kept at all times" means the gun could never be at a location other than the "established shooting range", no gun would qualify. They started at a  dealer. The gun could never be taken to a gunsmith for repair, etc. The meaning is to disallow a student from being handed a fiirearm at a shooting range in a class, then taking it home for the weekend, and returning it later.

WDFW's opinion is that any student, including adults can be handed a firearm at any location under the supervision of a certified hunter education instructor performing his duties as an instructor. Any student can hand a firearm to an instructor, at any location.  An adult student cannot transfer the firearm to another adult.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »

. . .
I agree. If "kept at all times" means the gun could never be at a location other than the "established shooting range", no gun would qualify. They started at a  dealer. The gun could never be taken to a gunsmith for repair, etc. The meaning is to disallow a student from being handed a fiirearm at a shooting range in a class, then taking it home for the weekend, and returning it later.

WDFW's opinion is that any student, including adults can be handed a firearm at any location under the supervision of a certified hunter education instructor performing his duties as an instructor. Any student can hand a firearm to an instructor, at any location.  An adult student cannot transfer the firearm to another adult.

Thank goodness we have cleared up and criminalized this act.  We'll all sleep better now knowing that by further giving up rights we will now be safer as a society.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Since I'm covered under 594 because of my LE status as a Hunter Ed instructor, does that also mean I can make arrests and give citations in places and situations where WDFW LE have jurisdiction? If so, I need a ticket book and a vest.

Asked and answered, at least on the first page.  Your exemptions "under the WDFW/LE exemption" depend on your "acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program . . . ." 

So no exempt, late-night panty raids for you.  And for the love of Pete, please don't shoot anyone's dog.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »
Damn, I already put the blue and red lights in the grill of the Jeep!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
Damn, I already put the blue and red lights in the grill of the Jeep!
:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]