collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: straight or angle lense for your backcountry spotter?  (Read 17329 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: straight or angle lense for your backcountry spotter?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
when you guys go with 15s is it like a 15x40 or 52?

Thanks for the link also!

15x56.

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »
Straight for me - but I don't sit and glass with a spotter.   I sit and glass with tripod mounted 15x's.   When I've located something that requires a closer inspection, I can quick detach my 15s from my tripod and click in my spotter and be on the critter in seconds with no adjustment to my tripod.

On backcountry hunts, I pack both.   I'd rather live without something else than leave my beloved 15s behind.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
when you guys go with 15s is it like a 15x40 or 52?

Thanks for the link also!

15x56.
ok excellent.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
Dude,

I fully support your spotter purchase or some bigger binos.  :tup:  Funny story everyone...So this september, AD2H and I were on an open sage brush hill side.  We had split up to glass more efficiently.  He radios me and says he's got eyes on 2 bedded muley's. So off I go on a 2 hour blind stalk as he guides me via radio.  I get to where the deer should be and it turns out that in his 8x42's, what he thought were bedded muley's were actually deery looking rocks!  :chuckle:

I'll never forget that.  Funny stuff.
dude those rocks would have been sooooo dead too! haha :dunno:
"real dogs have beards"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Seems you can always find a straight bodied spotter in the classifieds, there's a reason for that

...because 90% of spotters that are bought new from retailers are straight?

Strait bodied spotters are for bench rests and road hunters so your probably right and there probably pretty popular on this web site. The OP is asking about a " back country" spotter. Try sitting on a 40% grade and glassing up hill from hard right to hard left with out moving your tripod a dozen times. Even if you can after five minutes your neck will hurt so bad you'll hike out sell the thing and buy an angled one. If you just want something to throw on a window mount then yeah, buy a straight one

Wow...
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
Seems you can always find a straight bodied spotter in the classifieds, there's a reason for that

Strait bodied spotters are for bench rests and road hunters so your probably right and there probably pretty popular on this web site. The OP is asking about a " back country" spotter. Try sitting on a 40% grade and glassing up hill from hard right to hard left with out moving your tripod a dozen times. Even if you can after five minutes your neck will hurt so bad you'll hike out sell the thing and buy an angled one. If you just want something to throw on a window mount then yeah, buy a straight one

Wow...

Only seriously serious hunters use an angle spotter  :chuckle:

I have too much fun to be that serious tho so I prefer straight

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »

Wow...

Only seriously serious hunters use an angle spotter  :chuckle:

I have too much fun to be that serious tho so I prefer straight

Only seriously serious hunters have elitist attitudes.

Try pulling off the same maneuver glassing downhill, maintaining a low enough profile to not spook game and without having to climb up on top of your spotter.
Different strokes for different folks. It's got nothing to do with whether or not someone is an awesome enough hunter to be a true "backcountry" expert.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:21:42 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »
For this reason number one and for a couple other reason's too.  Go with straight. 

I've owned both models of Swaros and much prefer strait, I can line up and lock on critters quicker with it. :twocents:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
I think some are confused at what a 40 degree angle is :chuckle:  If your cranking uphill 40 degrees and glassing, your doing it wrong :dunno:  Also, if you invested in a good tripod and head then you should adjust it to do the work for you, not your neck. :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
another vote for straight from me.  I am a "dead from above" kind of guy so most of my glassing is looking down.  If I'm looking up with a spotter it is a long ways off so the the angle isn't much.  My personal preference, thats all.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
I think some are confused at what a 40 degree angle is :chuckle:  If your cranking uphill 40 degrees and glassing, your doing it wrong :dunno:  Also, if you invested in a good tripod and head then you should adjust it to do the work for you, not your neck. :twocents:

40% is different than 40 degree I guess that's confusing to some .And try looking real far to the left with your strait spotter from a sitting position and not move your body. Also looking down hill you just crank the angled eye piece over and your head is basicly staying strait. Pretty funny how offended some get on here. Kinda fun actually

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
I've had both too.  Each has its advantages, but for quick acquisition of the intended object, the straight was always been faster for me.  And, while glassing through an angled spotter it is harder to reacquire the find if you readjust yourself and or the spotter/tripod.

Remember, move the spotter to your head not your head to your spotter (sound familiar :chuckle:)     

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

40% is different than 40 degree I guess that's confusing to some .And try looking real far to the left with your strait spotter from a sitting position and not move your body. Also looking down hill you just crank the angled eye piece over and your head is basicly staying strait. Pretty funny how offended some get on here. Kinda fun actually

I don't look left , I don't look right. I set up, look straight ahead and give a looksy, if there isn't a 185+ buck in my view I jog straight up hill to the next drainage. Repeat until sundown.
Straight for me. >:(

Just tend your own and live.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
I sprint from drainage to drainage. If you aren't sprinting you don't want it bad enough and you are a low life road hunter with a straight eye piece spotter. Insert extreme sarcasm font here.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
I sprint from drainage to drainage. If you aren't sprinting you don't want it bad enough and you are a low life road hunter with a straight eye piece spotter. Insert extreme sarcasm font here.

I used to sprint, but I accidently deleted my recording of Cam Hanes' book Backcountry Bowhunting: A guide to the wildside from my IPOD and just can't find the motivation. :'(

I just ordered the window mount for my straight spotter. :IBCOOL:
Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal