collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Charcuterie  (Read 86434 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Charcuterie
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Do those pellet pans work fairly consistently as far as staying lot and time frame for replacing pellets etc... Assuming your pellets are the same density and you use the same ones throughout?

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »
Hopefully somebody can answer this for me.  I started 2 pancetta's last Monday and have been turning them every other day.  I figured that I would see some liquid in the bag by now but there is no liquid in the bag at all.  Is this normal?  The belly is pretty fatty.  It's from a home grown heritage breed.  Not sure if that makes a difference.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »
Do those pellet pans work fairly consistently as far as staying lot and time frame for replacing pellets etc... Assuming your pellets are the same density and you use the same ones throughout?

I've never timed a pan, but it stays lit, and burns for at least 9-10 hours.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »
Hopefully somebody can answer this for me.  I started 2 pancetta's last Monday and have been turning them every other day.  I figured that I would see some liquid in the bag by now but there is no liquid in the bag at all.  Is this normal?  The belly is pretty fatty.  It's from a home grown heritage breed.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

The more fat, the less liquid. I would not be concerned.
Low T Beta Male

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »

The more fat, the less liquid. I would not be concerned.

Thanks
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »
I need to find a supply of duck eggs.
Might check the Metropolitan market near you, or Goose and Gander farm in carnation
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2021, 02:24:02 PM »
I need to find a supply of duck eggs.
Might check the Metropolitan market near you, or Goose and Gander farm in carnation

Thought about Met Market. I'm sure they'll be pretty proud of them!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:15:30 PM by Angry Perch »
Low T Beta Male

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Charcuterie
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2021, 06:19:25 PM »
My order from Sausage Maker finally arrived, so I calibrated the sensors and slung the lonzas.  Man, it smells good.

Once I'm convinced I have all the settings right and the chamber is doing it's thing I'll do some type of beef, those two look lonely.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2021, 07:13:54 PM »
Cool stuff, man!
Low T Beta Male

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
My order from Sausage Maker finally arrived, so I calibrated the sensors and slung the lonzas.  Man, it smells good.

Once I'm convinced I have all the settings right and the chamber is doing it's thing I'll do some type of beef, those two look lonely.

Some day I hope to advance this far! Looking good!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Charcuterie
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
Project # 3 is curing, pancetta arrotolata, 2 Guys & a Cooler recipe.  Costco must only stock prime eye round and the pork belly was the same price and sounded better so I went with that.

I had a bit of a hiccup in the chamber, the dehumidifier wasn't making much progress, so I picked up a bigger one and that seems to be doing the trick.  There is also a curious thing, when the refrigerator kicks on, the gauge humidity drops 20-30% very quickly, then back up after it kicks off.  I'm not sure why, but it makes adjusting the controller parameters a trick.  I ended up unplugging the heater and humidifier as they would just kick on at the bottom and fight each other.

I also noticed the dehumidifer seems to be adding heat when it runs which is why the refrigerator runs about once an hour even though the chamber temp is about the same as the garage ambient.

So, right now, I just have the dehumidifier and refrigerator plugged in and the heat/humidifier unplugged.  It's averaging 57 degrees and maybe 78%, so I'm fine with that.  From what I read, one camp says 55-60 degrees and 60-70% and another camp says 80-85%, so I'm shooting in the middle, 75% or so.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »
Project # 3 is curing, pancetta arrotolata, 2 Guys & a Cooler recipe.  Costco must only stock prime eye round and the pork belly was the same price and sounded better so I went with that.

I had a bit of a hiccup in the chamber, the dehumidifier wasn't making much progress, so I picked up a bigger one and that seems to be doing the trick.  There is also a curious thing, when the refrigerator kicks on, the gauge humidity drops 20-30% very quickly, then back up after it kicks off.  I'm not sure why, but it makes adjusting the controller parameters a trick.  I ended up unplugging the heater and humidifier as they would just kick on at the bottom and fight each other.

I also noticed the dehumidifer seems to be adding heat when it runs which is why the refrigerator runs about once an hour even though the chamber temp is about the same as the garage ambient.

So, right now, I just have the dehumidifier and refrigerator plugged in and the heat/humidifier unplugged.  It's averaging 57 degrees and maybe 78%, so I'm fine with that.  From what I read, one camp says 55-60 degrees and 60-70% and another camp says 80-85%, so I'm shooting in the middle, 75% or so.

Fridge cycling is always going to drop humidity quickly and significantly, but it corrects darn near as quickly. Nothing to worry about. I monkeyed around quite a bit with the low/ high triggers on the humidifier as well as the output of the humidifier. My goal setting is 75-80%, and 45-50 F. Better too wet than too dry, and too cold than too warm in my book.
Low T Beta Male

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »
Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking.  I have a bluetooth puck in there that sends data to an app so I can track min, max and average which helps a bunch.

I did sanitize 3 one gallon water jugs and put them in there for a bit more thermal mass to hopefully smooth out the temps a bit.  The compressor is now cycling about once an hour for a few minutes so that seems reasonable.

Right now, temp averages 56.8, min 55.2, max 58.8.

Humidity max is 79.5, min is 74.5.

I think I'll stop pushing buttons for now.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2021, 10:52:39 AM »
Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking.  I have a bluetooth puck in there that sends data to an app so I can track min, max and average which helps a bunch.

I did sanitize 3 one gallon water jugs and put them in there for a bit more thermal mass to hopefully smooth out the temps a bit.  The compressor is now cycling about once an hour for a few minutes so that seems reasonable.

Right now, temp averages 56.8, min 55.2, max 58.8.

Humidity max is 79.5, min is 74.5.

I think I'll stop pushing buttons for now.

Lot's of different forces at work (and at odds) in there. You can drive yourself nuts watching everything cycle on and off, and levels all over the place. 
Low T Beta Male

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Charcuterie
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »
Project #4 is curing, bresaola.  Costco Business in Lynwood had whole eye rounds for a good price, so I picked one up.  I forgot to take a picture before I vac packed it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]